The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The bear died, however. It Is explained that his end was not from the operation, but from other wounds received In a fight with a lion. A large lion attacked the bear when the animals were being driven to their dens after performing. They fought all over the arena and ten minute elapsed before the trainers could separate them. The lion had several bites on Its body and scratches on Its face, but the bear was bitten In numerous parts of Its body. Including a bad laceration of the throat
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/76997839/
Not sure if this is the same fight, but the other article said a lioness named queenie killed a bear named bruno, this one said the lionesses also fought another bear named Old paul:

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/32388290/

noted that a grizzly bear previously had escaped its enclosure and killed a tiger.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=active&q=%22enclosure+and+killed+a+tiger%22+site:newspapers.com
The lion is the only animal that roars, no tin anger, but as a challenge to the whole animal creation. He wants to show off before his mate and impress upon her the fact that he is the king of beasts.His roar of defiance advertises the fact that he is there with a chip on his shoulder. He has no fear for himself or his family because he feels there is nothing alive that can hurt him. As a fighter he is the champion heavyweight, possess in gas he does such terrible weapons of offense. With a gentle tap he can break a horse's neck. With a forearm drive he can smash in the skull of almost any other animal and with his steel-like claws he can slash the flesh to ribbons.Unlike the tiger, which is askulker, the lion will come right out in the open and fight. He does not kill for the mere sport of killing, only to allay the pangs of hunger. There is however, one bad trait in his character. When once he has tasted human blood,he is the most dreaded enemy of mankind. He is a man-eater for the rest of his days and nothing will stop him in his thirst for human gore. His lust for blood becomes unquenchable.

regards his majesty, the lion. Hisproud, kingly and unruffled bearing would stand him in good stead when the breaks were going against him. He would not beput off by outside influences and if it come to a slugging match, you could count him in. For poise, indifference to his surroundings and physical ability to out distance his opponents, we could not help placing him in the same category as our present amateur champion
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1922/ag257l.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)

dogs killed a bear. First, one dog would bite a hind leg, and when th« bear turned to
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/16980378/

eleven dogs, killed a bear tha^ had been devouring sheep.;and calves.
The hear weighed 500 pounds and measured eight feet from tip to tip.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/12572553/

DOG KILLS BEAR MISSOULA
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/11758411/

dogs, killed a bear and two cnbs in the woods
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/79771696/
Will be close but the bear might just end up winning

You really think the lion is the strongest animal in the world dont you
Original post by Dr.Snake
You really think the lion is the strongest animal in the world dont you

I just like the truth, unlike you who have ranted on nothing but hot air in your post of other threads.

Will be close but the bear might just end up winning

And I already showed some instances of bears killing african lions, its upon us to compile who has already won more to see who would usually win. And the lion has won more substantially.
Original post by Sword of Justice
I just like the truth, unlike you who have ranted on nothing but hot air in your post of other threads.

And I already showed some instances of bears killing african lions, its upon us to compile who has already won more to see who would usually win. And the lion has won more substantially.

The truth? The only truth you can get from these things is the actual facts. A bear is stronger than a lion and has the same speed as a lion. It will defeat a lion.

And anyone can show instances like you did. There are instances like that for every animal doesnt mean everyone has to go around posting them that is ridiculous. I know sites where people go around just posting instances like this and theres no end tbh. The circumstances are always different so with close fights like this it doesnt make sense to argue who wins.

If you want to talk about stronger animals, rhinos, elephants, polar bears can easily destroy the lion. Theres even videos of rhinos vs lions. Polar bears are even stronger than grizzly bears and a lot stronger so theres no comparison really no matter how many instances you post. And elephant... its pretty obvious. You have to remember lions are aggressive creatures by nature (compared to bears0 so they will start the attack on bears which will obviously mean that the lion wins. So these instances dont mean anything.
Original post by Dr.Snake
The truth? The only truth you can get from these things is the actual facts. A bear is stronger than a lion and has the same speed as a lion. It will defeat a lion.

lol Yeah, and your last post was what again? Tigers are stronger than lions, lions aint ****, research it.

Ha, actually I have researched it, and you nor anyone can match a tiger or a 1,000+lb bear coming close to any of the striking...strength...feats of lions:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4017607

And as fast as a lion? lol Thats laughable, is this where you are going to insert a random number that has never been clocked in by a scientific source with tangible proof like a speed meter video?

There is one on lions btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehwZZ4n6i8

Tangible proof is the only terms of facts, you can cite in hundreds of sources that say bears can run 30 mph, 40, 50 whatever, you still wont have any tangible proof like that video.

These animals arent even aware of running at full speed to meet a speed case, they just run fast when they need to, and what we see is lions catching hundreds of hyenas, in a sprint, where is just one video of a bear catching a wolf in a sprint to match that fact? There isnt any, hence bears are not as fast and explosive as a lion. And speed? cheetahs are the fastest, running doesn't mean anything in a fight, you mean agility and dexterity, evasive maneuverability all in combat?

Yup, and lions are superior to bears in that category as well.

And anyone can show instances like you did. There are instances like that for every animal doesnt mean everyone has to go around posting them that is ridiculous. I know sites where people go around just posting instances like this and theres no end tbh. The circumstances are always different so with close fights like this it doesnt make sense to argue who wins.

There is no sites that weigh them with facts, only 2 or 3, other sites like carnivora, are just kids nip picking what they want to show, not the whole truth. Of course every instance isnt gona be male vs male, fair, 2,000+ pound bears, neither does the wild hold these random fair everything matches, there is always an advantage some where, hence the term wild, and in some cases already mentioned, lions have killed bears of its most powerful form.

If you want to talk about stronger animals, rhinos, elephants, polar bears can easily destroy the lion. Theres even videos of rhinos vs lions. Polar bears are even stronger than grizzly bears and a lot stronger so theres no comparison really no matter how many instances you post. And elephant... its pretty obvious. You have to remember lions are aggressive creatures by nature (compared to bears0 so they will start the attack on bears which will obviously mean that the lion wins. So these instances dont mean anything.

I like how you add in polar bears, havent seen any proof of that yet, and rhinos, elephants, hippos, sharks, blue whale ect....who cares, thats common knowledge. Polar bears killing lions is not common knowledge, its lacking in evidence.

No matter what instances I post? Kinda like how you said tigers destroy african lions, yet you cant even bring forth any data that shows they have won more times against even his smaller counter part the asiatic lion:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3918317

No matter what comparison and no matter how many I post? Theres a word for that...denial. If you wanna live that delusional state, then thats all you, I on the other hand lean towards facts. Size does not automatically equate into strength or power, if it did, 600 lb men would rule the fighting scene and weight lifting competitions, but they dont:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuQP0hO6s4

A 200 lb strong man can lift more than a 600 lb fat man, a 200 lb boxing champion can punch harder than 600 lb sumo wrestler.

The more practiced one in that profession is the superior, lions profession is all about fighting. Hence this topic is about their combat against bears, and why lions have been documented killing bears more than...vice versa.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 73
In the animal kingdom it usually is: the heavier you are, the stronger you and more powerful you are. There are plenty of cases e.g. elephant being the strongest and heaviest land mammal. I said siberian tigers are stronger than african lions because they are heavier, therefore stronger and more skilled. Ok so lions might be faster than bears but it wont really make a difference if its a head on fight.

Its not kid nitpicking it. There are plenty of cases where each animal has killed the other animal so it doesnt make sense just posting 1000s and 1000s of these instances because there would be no end to it. Furthermore, lions are more aggressive than polar bears or tigers. It is probable that lions will be the first one to attack in these instances so you cant compare for example if lions go straight for the head, the bear or the tiger is going to die isnt it, and vice versa. Tigers and bears are more calmer in nature and usually try to avoid fights unless necessary. As you said lions are all about fighting but its not like that with other animals so they usually wont instigate a fight. Im sure if a polar bear started the fight it would be end for the lion too so these instances are always unfair. As for rhinos, elephants etc. You said the lion is unbeatable thats why it can start a fight with any animal because its not scared. lol. then you say obviously rhinos, elephants etc will win. I can post bunch of instances were polar bears have killed 2! lions at a time.

Anyways, as for bears and tigers, there is no real truth is there. The fight would be so close it is impossible for us to tell whether the lion or the tiger will win but from the facts we can say the tiger is stronger and they have similar other stats. Therefore there is no 'real' answer unless there are thousands of these fights in fair conditions, which would lead you to some good stats. But until then, you can either base it of the facts, and not the instances or just say we cant draw a conclusion till we see 100's of these fights. But you cant base it off of unfair instances even though each animal has 1000's of them

lol Yeah, and your last post was what again? Tigers are stronger than lions, lions aint ****, research it.Ha, actually I have researched it, and you nor anyone can match a tiger or a 1,000+lb bear coming close to any of the striking...strength...feats of lions:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4017607And as fast as a lion? lol Thats laughable, is this where you are going to insert a random number that has never been clocked in by a scientific source with tangible proof like a speed meter video?There is one on lions btwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehwZZ4n6i8Tangible proof is the only terms of facts, you can cite in hundreds of sources that say bears can run 30 mph, 40, 50 whatever, you still wont have any tangible proof like that video.These animals arent even aware of running at full speed to meet a speed case, they just run fast when they need to, and what we see is lions catching hundreds of hyenas, in a sprint, where is just one video of a bear catching a wolf in a sprint to match that fact? There isnt any, hence bears are not as fast and explosive as a lion. And speed? cheetahs are the fastest, running doesn't mean anything in a fight, you mean agility and dexterity, evasive maneuverability all in combat?Yup, and lions are superior to bears in that category as well.There is no sites that weigh them with facts, only 2 or 3, other sites like carnivora, are just kids nip picking what they want to show, not the whole truth. Of course every instance isnt gona be male vs male, fair, 2,000+ pound bears, neither does the wild hold these random fair everything matches, there is always an advantage some where, hence the term wild, and in some cases already mentioned, lions have killed bears of its most powerful form.I like how you add in polar bears, havent seen any proof of that yet, and rhinos, elephants, hippos, sharks, blue whale ect....who cares, thats common knowledge. Polar bears killing lions is not common knowledge, its lacking in evidence.No matter what instances I post? Kinda like how you said tigers destroy african lions, yet you cant even bring forth any data that shows they have won more times against even his smaller counter part the asiatic lion:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3918317No matter what comparison and no matter how many I post? Theres a word for that...denial. If you wanna live that delusional state, then thats all you, I on the other hand lean towards facts. Size does not automatically equate into strength or power, if it did, 600 lb men would rule the fighting scene and weight lifting competitions, but they dont:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuQP0hO6s4A 200 lb strong man can lift more than a 600 lb fat man, a 200 lb boxing champion can punch harder than 600 lb sumo wrestler.The more practiced one in that profession is the superior, lions profession is all about fighting. Hence this topic is about their combat against bears, and why lions have been documented killing bears more than...vice versa.
How does the lion actually kill - is it by a bite to the neck ?

I love cats btw !
x

What is your opinion on the chances of a lion against a xenomorph?
Original post by Dr.Snack
In the animal kingdom it usually is: the heavier you are, the stronger you and more powerful you are.There are plenty of cases e.g. elephant being the strongest and heaviest land mammal.

This is only true when the size is significant, tigers or bears are not significantly bigger than lions, a rhino is, a elephant is, a hippo is, these animals are 10 x bigger in weight. A bear is at best twice as bigger, this is not significant, lions are still just as tall, can be even longer, bears are just heavier in the lower half ...humans have beaten other humans twice to even 3x there own weight.

I said siberian tigers are stronger than african lions because they are heavier, therefore stronger and more skilled. Ok so lions might be faster than bears but it wont really make a difference if its a head on fight.

No, siberian tigers are not heavier, did you read the latest consensus by the worlds only siberian tiger conservationist team? They are only 173 kg. and explain how weight transfers into more skill? So if you eat alot you magically are bestowed boxing experience? You are quite out there with your post, none of them are logical or even coherent.

Its not kid nitpicking it. There are plenty of cases where each animal has killed the other animal so it doesnt make sense just posting 1000s and 1000s of these instances because there would be no end to it.

Thousands? lol there isnt even 20 times a tiger has killed a lion on record, lets see you just post 20 in a row...thats not asking for much since I showed more than 50, have the credibility like I showed in the asiatic lion thread, like a photo of the combatants and the source, we only can go of of things that are credible, not hear say or secondary, thats how modern science works.

Furthermore, lions are more aggressive than polar bears or tigers. It is probable that lions will be the first one to attack in these instances so you cant compare for example if lions go straight for the head, the bear or the tiger is going to die isnt it, and vice versa.

No, no vice versa...bears and tigers do not have manes, and the lion attacking first is not the lions problem, its the animal hes attacking problems.

Tigers and bears are more calmer in nature and usually try to avoid fights unless necessary. As you said lions are all about fighting but its not like that with other animals so they usually wont instigate a fight.

These are their basic modem, no one can change this, rarity's are not the normal, we go off of what they would do per average, tigers are not calmer, ther are more nervous and they also kill more people than any other big cat, again not my fault bears and tigers are not as possessive, controlling and aggressive as a lion usually is when it comes to food, mating, territory and protecting the cubs. Bears/tigers only territory and mating, lions have more aggressive tendency's.

Im sure if a polar bear started the fight it would be end for the lion too so these instances are always unfair.

Nature is not fair. And even if a polar bear did ambush a lion, it can only kill a lioness easily, not the male who is still protected by the mane. There are no instances of big maned lions being killed by the neck passed 10 if so show it, for other animals like tigers, 100's. This shows the mane is not easy to get pass, no one is saying its impenetrable but the experts have spoken on the mane, and it is his chief attribute that makes him so formidable.

As for rhinos, elephants etc. You said the lion is unbeatable thats why it can start a fight with any animal because its not scared. lol. then you say obviously rhinos, elephants etc will win. I can post bunch of instances were polar bears have killed 2! lions at a time.

I never said the lion is unbeatable, where? I already showed the link that bears have killed lions, its not even 1/3rd as much times as lions have killed bears, plus velox the polar bearesss, killed two lions, yet doesnt mentioned if they were maned. Big difference.

Anyways, as for bears and tigers, there is no real truth is there.

No there is 100% truth here, this is what we call evidence, you not excepting it is just you in denial. Much like your butt-hurtness of the mane thread, you disliked it so bad you wanted it erased, lol hwy exactly? Because it goes against your bias views? no...these facts arent going any where.

The fight would be so close it is impossible for us to tell whether the lion or the tiger will win but from the facts we can say the tiger is stronger and they have similar other stats.

These are things you have yet to prove. Making up false assumptions and empty opinions is not what science is about. You need to provide evidence, and when you do, then we can dissect it, analyze it and weigh if it is credible and then see if it matches the opposing evidence. You brought zero, just hot air and rants. Tigers are similar but not the same as lions, they do not have:

- A mane
- A social structure that amplify's fighting skill
- Is wired more aggressive, possessive and dominant
- Is not as tall, doesnt posses the same muscularity and built
- Does not have any evidence to back up any hunting prowess over the lion

Therefore there is no 'real' answer unless there are thousands of these fights in fair conditions, which would lead you to some good stats. But until then, you can either base it of the facts, and not the instances or just say we cant draw a conclusion till we see 100's of these fights. But you cant base it off of unfair instances even though each animal has 1000's of them

Again, there is an answer, you just dont want to accept it, you dont need thousands, you just need one having a significant amount more than the opposing, theres not only more accounts of lions killing tigers, theres more experts who agree, more historical artifacts that proves who won, more sources that says hes more durable, more sources that says hes the harder striker, more almost everything, these things have been provided, you on the other hand havent provided anything.

You do not have thousands, theres only less than 20, and in terms of maned lions, less than 10...other wise show it or stop trolling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zenomorph
How does the lion actually kill - is it by a bite to the neck ?

I love cats btw !

They kill in multiple ways, bites, lacerations from the claws, and by paw strikes, they can also overwhelm another foe with numbers.

What, the extinct big cats? Dont know as there isnt any one alive who has seen them, people base things off of size alone when it comes to extinct animals, that is not enough for me, its basically just assumptions at that point, theory's dont equate into hard facts. But they were pretty cool looking.
They kill in multiple ways, bites, lacerations from the claws, and by paw strikes, they can also overwhelm another foe with numbers.

What, the extinct big cats? Dont know as there isnt any one alive who has seen them, people base things off of size alone when it comes to extinct animals, that is not enough for me, its basically just assumptions at that point, theory's dont equate into hard facts. But they were pretty cool looking.

Eh? No, these badass mother****ers..

aa6c6042193dc72947c86479197f51d9.jpg

Haven't you ever watched any of the Alien series?
Ohh? My bad...Thought you were talking about xenosmilus the extinct big cat:

As for the alien, its fictional bro, your guess is as good as anyones. lol

Latest