The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Too close to home

This is going to sound odd. So I'm to start applying for university places in September, and so I've been thinking hard about where I'd like to go. I want to study journalism, but I'm prepared to compromise with english literature, and journalism courses are kind of few and far between.

I thought I had settled on Cardiff University. It has an excellent reputation for journalism, it is an NCTJ accredited course, it has well established links with media outlets such as the BBC and it is taught in an academic style, which employers look upon favourably (apparently idk). I went to the open day and loved the place.

The issue is that I only live just around an hour away from Cardiff, and when I had first envisioned myself going to university, I imagined travelling further afield, and 'cutting the apron strings', so to speak. I also really want the halls experience. I don't drive, nor does anybody in my immediate family, so in theory I'd have to stay in Cardiff, but for some reason that makes me feel like I'd be taking the place of somebody who lives much further away. This all makes me want to just change my first choice of uni altogether and now I'm very confused.

I totally understand if you think this question is a waste of time, it even sounds like it to me. It's just been eating at me for a while so I'd like to see what people think :smile:
No need to feel bad about taking someone's place as all first years are guaranteed a place in the halls of residence! I'm not sure whether you're thinking about applying for this September or next year, but you can still get a place on first come first served basis if you apply late I think.

Is there any other uni you were thinking of as your first choice? If you're really set on Cardiff, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't go. I don't think it matters how far away you're from home as long as you don't go home too often so you get the full halls experience you wanna get. Also, you can probably still go on a semester or year abroad if you want to travel further away. I'd say go for it, but I do understand your doubts, so maybe take a couple of days to overthink it and then come to a conclusion. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Adelemyqueen
No need to feel bad about taking someone's place as all first years are guaranteed a place in the halls of residence! I'm not sure whether you're thinking about applying for this September or next year, but you can still get a place on first come first served basis if you apply late I think.

Is there any other uni you were thinking of as your first choice? If you're really set on Cardiff, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't go. I don't think it matters how far away you're from home as long as you don't go home too often so you get the full halls experience you wanna get. Also, you can probably still go on a semester or year abroad if you want to travel further away. I'd say go for it, but I do understand your doubts, so maybe take a couple of days to overthink it and then come to a conclusion. :smile:

Thanks for the reply! I've looked at Swansea, Brunel and Leicester recently...Brunel would be the front runner out of those. I'll be applying for September 2017, so I'll be able to get everything sorted in plenty of time!
I think I was just worried that if the temptation to go home was there, I'd be home all the time...but my family are understanding so they'd get it if I wanted to stay away for a while. And the year abroad sounds so good, I've been looking into that for a while...I might do it!
Thanks again!
Original post by Cari98
Thanks for the reply! I've looked at Swansea, Brunel and Leicester recently...Brunel would be the front runner out of those. I'll be applying for September 2017, so I'll be able to get everything sorted in plenty of time!
I think I was just worried that if the temptation to go home was there, I'd be home all the time...but my family are understanding so they'd get it if I wanted to stay away for a while. And the year abroad sounds so good, I've been looking into that for a while...I might do it!
Thanks again!

You've got plenty of time to compare your choices again then! I'm sure it will all work out and you'll probably be busy at uni so you won't have that much time to think about home anyways. Just don't rush anything (But totally go for the year abroad, it's gonna be an amazing experience, take it from someone's who's done it :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending