The Student Room Group

What do I do?!

I'm getting quite stressed out about what course to apply for (sorry if this is the wrong forum)...

Currently the options are PPE, Econ, CompSci, CompSci&Philosophy (Oxford).

The problems are:
- I enjoy/think I will enjoy politics, philosophy, econ, and compsci
- I don't know how much value PPE has, particularly outside Oxford (and statistically it's unlikely I'll get in)
- I'm not good enough at Maths to get into CompSci at Cambridge (and probably not Oxford or maybe Imperial either) - probably same for Econ

Basically, if I apply for CompSci I (almost definitely) wouldn't get in at Cambridge, and probably not at Oxford (or am I wrong?) so I would basically reduce my Oxbridge chance but possibly increase employability etc. If I apply for PPE (I am stronger at debating/discursive subjects than Maths I think...) idk what I would do if I don't get into Oxford. I could apply for PPE at Oxford and Econ elsewhere, but then I would miss out on CompSci, which could have better opportunities... (SORRY FOR THE RAMBLE)

I'm taking Maths, FM, Philosophy (Pre-U) and Economics. What do I do? Please, someone help me!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by WhatDoIDo...?
I'm getting quite stressed out about what course to apply for (sorry if this is the wrong forum)...

Currently the options are PPE, Econ, CompSci, CompSci&Philosophy (Oxford).

The problems are:
- I enjoy/think I will enjoy politics, philosophy, econ, and compsci
- I don't know how much value PPE has, particularly outside Oxford (and statistically it's unlikely I'll get in)
- I'm not good enough at Maths to get into CompSci at Cambridge (and probably not Oxford or maybe Imperial either)

I'm taking Maths, FM, Philosophy (Pre-U) and Economics. What do I do? Please, someone help me!

Have you tried some tasters at local unis to sample any of these courses?

Unfortunately I think many of them are booked or already past now

e.g.
http://www.london.ac.uk/5197.html
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/events-and-open-days
http://www.unitasterdays.com/search.aspx
Original post by jneill
Have you tried some tasters at local unis to sample any of these courses?

Unfortunately I think many of them are booked or already past now

e.g.
http://www.london.ac.uk/5197.html
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/events-and-open-days
http://www.unitasterdays.com/search.aspx

Thanks :smile: I'll take a look. I've still got over a year to decide, and I know that except for top unis Maths+FM should be fine for CompSci (and should be fine for Oxford as well, just probably not Cambridge) so I don't have to DO anything, but for some reason it's really worrying me. I think it's the fact I don't know the trajectory/target for the next two years that I'm finding harder than I thought.
Reply 3
Thanks :smile: I'll take a look. I've still got over a year to decide, and I know that except for top unis Maths+FM should be fine for CompSci (and should be fine for Oxford as well, just probably not Cambridge) so I don't have to DO anything, but for some reason it's really worrying me. I think it's the fact I don't know the trajectory/target for the next two years that I'm finding harder than I thought.

Oh I thought you were in Y12... absolutely no rush then, and many people have no idea which course they want to take until much later...

Also, there's no need to bump the thread so soon... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Oh I thought you were in Y12... absolutely no rush then, and many people have no idea which course they want to take until much later...

Also, there's no need to bump the thread so soon... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I'm just a scared irrational teenager at the moment it seems... :frown:

CompSciPhil at Oxford looks really exciting, but I just have to get *great* at Maths (I got a high A* in IGCSE early and got consistent A's in OCR AddMaths FSMQ past papers, but I know that's not even scratching the surface of the standard required tbh). It seems to be discrete maths/algebra though that is the focus, rather than geometry, which is my weaker point (certain parts of geometry anyway). Do you think it's a problem applying to a course with a very small intake (5 people were admitted in 2015)?
Reply 5
Do you think it's a problem applying to a course with a very small intake (5 people were admitted in 2015)?

CompSci is small at Oxford anyway so it won't make much difference which "flavour" you apply for. The success rate is similar for both courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just realised something (far too late I fear) - Next year I can just choose 'the Econ path' or 'the CompSci path' (or something totally different...)

Then apply for Oxford PPE (+ econ (or maybe PPE though not sure due to reputation) at other unis) or Oxford CompSciPhil (+ CompSci at other unis).

So both options are available for me, I can assess/ask teachers how good I am at Maths, and whilst I have a low chance of Oxbridge success (like most people tbh haha) I'll hopefully end up doing something I love at a good uni, which is really what mattters after all! :biggrin:

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the thread-bumping, etc. I'm glad I've finally solved my own problem, and embarrassed it took so long tbh

CompSciPhil at Oxford looks really exciting, but I just have to get *great* at Maths (I got a high A* in IGCSE early and got consistent A's in OCR AddMaths FSMQ past papers, but I know that's not even scratching the surface of the standard required tbh).

That's the sort of standard we'd expect at this stage. (Of course, you need to continue to do well.)

I agree with jneill that you shouldn't worry too much for the moment: see how your interests develop over the next year.

It seems to be discrete maths/algebra though that is the focus, rather than geometry, which is my weaker point (certain parts of geometry anyway). Do you think it's a problem applying to a course with a very small intake (5 people were admitted in 2015)?

That number is a bit unrepresentative. We made 11 offers for 2016.

Gavin
Reply 8
Original post by gavinlowe
That's the sort of standard we'd expect at this stage. (Of course, you need to continue to do well.)

I agree with jneill that you shouldn't worry too much for the moment: see how your interests develop over the next year.

Gavin

I was hoping you might find this thread - saves me from directing him to you :smile:

@WhatDoIDo...? , Gavin is an Oxford CompSci admissions dude.
Original post by gavinlowe

Gavin

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. It's great that the number is going up, as it looks like a really good course :smile:

I'm now thinking much more about the CompSci side of things, partly because it opens up Computer Science, as well as allowing you to enter more 'general' areas that you might go into with, say, an Econ or PPE degree; also because I thought of which course I would do if I could choose and the whole process was completely non-selective and my answer to myself was CompSci. This made me realise it could be better to apply for CompSci, including at places like Warwick, even if I'm not good enough at Maths to get into Oxford. I think it's probably better to apply for a course I will really enjoy than to apply for the sake of applying for a specific university, which I feared I might have been subconsciously doing...

...Of course, if I got into CompSci/CompSciPhil at Oxford, I would be doing a course I think I'd love and at a/the top university in the country! I'm not getting my hopes up too much though.

I got a higher score in IGCSE Maths than a friend who got into the British Maths Olympiad, so I know these tests mean very little in terms of my Maths ability. I just plan to try as hard as possible, and if my teachers think I should give it a shot, I might try :smile:

Sorry about the long, rambling response. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending