The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for English

Hello! I'm interested in studying Comparative Literature at King's College, London or English at Cambridge University (not sure how much of a chance I have at getting in haha) and was just wondering if anyone had any tips for writing a personal statement for English and also ideas of other wider reading/extra curricular sort of things I could do. I'm gonna start reading some Japanese Literature because I really like learning about Japan and its culture in general, so yeah. I'm going to be working on my personal statement over the summer and I just want it to be really good (especially for Cambridge). 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just read things u genuinely enjoy and provoke a reaction in you - as well as Shakespeare. No point in having a reading list with books chosen by someone else if you’re not into them. You gotta show them that you went out and furthered your interest in something. Take Japanese literature, read Murakami for example, then if you like him read more of his books, then take a MOOC course about Japanese literature and write down why you liked his books. It’s one thing to have an interest in books, it’s another to actually show where this interest came from and why (WHY) you like reading. Also revise your statement as much as possible and be 100% genuine - if you’ve only read one book by a particular author don’t write ‘this inspired me so much’ - esp. for Cambridge they will ask you what else have you read by them. Also, to show the process of reading and seeking new books that interest you, its (this is personal for me) depth over breadth.

Hope this helps !
Reply 2
If you're going to elaborate about Japanese Literature, make sure it's actually a component of the course, or a possible module :u:
Original post by unknowntsr
Just read things u genuinely enjoy and provoke a reaction in you - as well as Shakespeare. No point in having a reading list with books chosen by someone else if you’re not into them. You gotta show them that you went out and furthered your interest in something. Take Japanese literature, read Murakami for example, then if you like him read more of his books, then take a MOOC course about Japanese literature and write down why you liked his books. It’s one thing to have an interest in books, it’s another to actually show where this interest came from and why (WHY) you like reading. Also revise your statement as much as possible and be 100% genuine - if you’ve only read one book by a particular author don’t write ‘this inspired me so much’ - esp. for Cambridge they will ask you what else have you read by them. Also, to show the process of reading and seeking new books that interest you, its (this is personal for me) depth over breadth.

Hope this helps !

Yes it did, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg
If you're going to elaborate about Japanese Literature, make sure it's actually a component of the course, or a possible module :u:

Oh I didn't realise it had to be. I thought the whole point was to show what you were interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zombie-dance
Oh I didn't realise it had to be. I thought the whole point was to show what you were interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

what he said just isn’t true, dw about it :unimpressed:
Original post by unknowntsr
what he said just isn’t true, dw about it :unimpressed:

Okay thanks xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending