The Student Room Group

A-level Insight days 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
CV + application questions/cover letter mostly.

Worry when you get rejected, you still have a whole school year to get involved with stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi again. Do you have any suggestions of extracurriculars which show leadership? I heard they really like those. I'm in the pupil council, does that count? I can't do things like prefect or house captain until S6. What else shows leadership?
Original post by ___Sophie___
Hi again. Do you have any suggestions of extracurriculars which show leadership? I heard they really like those. I'm in the pupil council, does that count? I can't do things like prefect or house captain until S6. What else shows leadership?

I really wouldn't be doing extracurriculars just to tick boxes. Look at it this way, do you like finance? Can you convince other people to like finance? Can you convince your school to start a club?

Do you like knitting? Can you convince others to give up their time to knit with you? Can you source funding and support for a knitting organisation that donates clothes to charity?

You get what I mean, find something you care about and try to gather resources, people and support.

DofE is a cookie cutter suggestion too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

loooool legit no clue what this even means ahaha :')
Original post by tazza ma razza
loooool legit no clue what this even means ahaha :')

Everyone does it because everyone hears its nice to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone does it because everyone hears its nice to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah makes sense - wasn't that easier :wink: ahaha cheers boss (Y)
I really wouldn't be doing extracurriculars just to tick boxes. Look at it this way, do you like finance? Can you convince other people to like finance? Can you convince your school to start a club?

Do you like knitting? Can you convince others to give up their time to knit with you? Can you source funding and support for a knitting organisation that donates clothes to charity?

You get what I mean, find something you care about and try to gather resources, people and support.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm yeah I'm not very liked at my school due to things which have happened so that might be rather difficult..... I'll try to think of something else which shows leadership skills like the McKinsey leadership academy perhaps.What about DofE gold, that's less common, no? Yeah loads of people do bronze, quite a lot do silver, but what about gold? Surely that shows great teamwork skills, an ability to overcome challenges etc. Although it doesn't really show leadership skills.
Hmm yeah I'm not very liked at my school due to things which have happened so that might be rather difficult..... I'll try to think of something else which shows leadership skills like the McKinsey leadership academy perhaps.What about DofE gold, that's less common, no? Yeah loads of people do bronze, quite a lot do silver, but what about gold? Surely that shows great teamwork skills, an ability to overcome challenges etc. Although it doesn't really show leadership skills.

Why quit then? Being a 'leader' is about confronting these issues head on with a plan of action.. Pre-packaged experiences like DofE and McK are great and all but they're not really going to equip you with the same raw set of experience as doing something out of your own volution will. Also it'll be a great way to learn how to convince people (who you think don't like you) into liking you - a trait that's gonna pay back in dividends in the future.

Doesn't even have to be in school either. What I'm trying to hammer home is it will look extremely impressive if you did something most would find difficult to come up with or see themselves doing. Following the easy path of do x,y,z and banks/people will like you sort of misses the point.

If you want easy stuff you can apply for, just google around. If you're willing to take an actual step of leadership - come up with stuff yourself; it'll be far more rewarding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Why quit then? Being a 'leader' is about confronting these issues head on with a plan of action.. Pre-packaged experiences like DofE and McK are great and all but they're not really going to equip you with the same raw set of experience as doing something out of your own volution will. Also it'll be a great way to learn how to convince people (who you think don't like you) into liking you - a trait that's gonna pay back in dividends in the future.

Doesn't even have to be in school either. What I'm trying to hammer home is it will look extremely impressive if you did something most would find difficult to come up with or see themselves doing. Following the easy path of do x,y,z and banks/people will like you sort of misses the point.

If you want easy stuff you can apply for, just google around. If you're willing to take an actual step of leadership - come up with stuff yourself; it'll be far more rewarding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I do agree with you. I'll try and think of something.

I think you can do literally anything but it helps to be conscious about what you're learning from it/what you are doing. Something trivial and perhaps what you may forget come 1 week could be discussed and make you seem unique. Also I assume you're not starting uni next year. Search "A level + insight days + bank name" I think there is about 5 and then apply for places like SEO (if you live in LND) or intouni (some places around the country) everything helps really. Your local uni do some stuff too (like UCL had courses for A-level students).
Hi, this is probably a really stupid question but what do we wear to these insight days?Also if I've not heard back from Morgan Stanley or HSBC yet should I assume I have been rejected?
Original post by StillHereDawg
Hi, this is probably a really stupid question but what do we wear to these insight days?Also if I've not heard back from Morgan Stanley or HSBC yet should I assume I have been rejected?

Business casual/formal either one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StillHereDawg

Same here. Haven't heard back from hsbc and ms

Posted from TSR Mobile
MS rejection just now folks! The first of 4 Pre-U schemes I applied to and my 4th rejection lol.
HSBC are not sending any information about the event on the 25th, its actually stress. if i dont hear anything on monday next week, i'm gonna email them for info.
Original post by President J
I think you can do literally anything but it helps to be conscious about what you're learning from it/what you are doing. Something trivial and perhaps what you may forget come 1 week could be discussed and make you seem unique. Also I assume you're not starting uni next year. Search "A level + insight days + bank name" I think there is about 5 and then apply for places like SEO (if you live in LND) or intouni (some places around the country) everything helps really. Your local uni do some stuff too (like UCL had courses for A-level students).

Yeah I guess you are right. 2 years until I start university actually so luckily I've got some time, i'll look those places up. Thanks
Cheers bro, just increase the competition :wink:

Applied to HSBC, MS, BAML (rejected), Nomura (rejected). Need to apply to JPM and CS. Got accepted to and did RBS last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, cool man. What qualifications open up the doors to an interview at these places?
Original post by Asurat
MS rejection just now folks! The first of 4 Pre-U schemes I applied to and my 4th rejection lol.

either your cv layout is ****, your cover letters are **** or you don't have high enough predicted grade
How does one go about preparing for something like this? Do I need qualifications like A levels? And if so, what do they have to be in? Mathematics, economics, finance? I know all of these would help in a banking job, but which ones are most highly prized? Do I need a University degree to even get a chance at a job like this, or is A levels enough? I'd like to have some advice on the matter of banking jobs, you can personally pm me on my profile, any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by Asurat

Just lie about your predicted grades

i was getting rejections left right and center for insight days back when i applied then RBS went through in the end.

These are insight days, they aren't a big deal.
Original post by DauntlessOne
How does one go about preparing for something like this? Do I need qualifications like A levels? And if so, what do they have to be in? Mathematics, economics, finance? I know all of these would help in a banking job, but which ones are most highly prized? Do I need a University degree to even get a chance at a job like this, or is A levels enough? I'd like to have some advice on the matter of banking jobs, you can personally pm me on my profile, any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

you need a degree to actually work in banking

for insight programmes targeted at a level students, you need good predicted grades and must demonstrate an interest in the industry. you apply online through the banks website

your subjects don't matter

Quick Reply