The Student Room Group

Why do some people drive so slowly?

One thing that annoys me on the roads is when people drive really slowly!!
Im not talking about learners but people who have passed their test!
They drive at 20 in a 30 and I came across a couple of people who have been doing 35 in a 60!!! I nearly hit them! They're so dangerous!
I don't speed! I drive at the speed limit, so let's just clear that up. I love cars but am firmly against street racing!
But why do people drive so slowly nowadays? It's just so irritating because it kills the momentum of your car and then you use more fuel! Ugh why can't everyone drive at the speed limit like they were taught to!!?
Surely it's safer if we drive at the speed limits set?
Also people driving at 30-40mph on a dual carriage way should be pulled over for dangerous driving!
I got caught behind one in the fast lane and people were weaving around all over the place behind me trying to get past because they were traveling at 70! There was nearly an almighty accident!
But why can't we drive at the limit posted!?
Thanks!
Reply 1
I have the opposite experiences
People drive too fast in my opinion, breaking the speed limits.
Original post by IYGB
I have the opposite experiences
People drive too fast in my opinion, breaking the speed limits.

Well yeah there are those too, but driving fast increases concentration therefore making you more alert at what's going on.
But 5mph over the limit is probably the absolute maximum anyone should ever go if they choose to speed (I don't condone it).
But have you never been stuck behind someone doing more than 10mph less than the limit?
Reply 3
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well yeah there are those too, but driving fast increases concentration therefore making you more alert at what's going on.
But 5mph over the limit is probably the absolute maximum anyone should ever go if they choose to speed (I don't condone it).
But have you never been stuck behind someone doing more than 10mph less than the limit?

I have
But for every slow driver I come across there are hordes of speeding ones
It's because they're trying to catch all those Pokemons bruh.
Original post by IYGB
I have
But for every slow driver I come across there are hordes of speeding ones

Thought so
Some people can't control the power. They need to be driving slow cars so that they don't kill anyone!
Have you seen the stories about people who've bought fast powerful cars, only to crash them within 10-60 minutes? Ridiculous! They need training
Original post by DarkPeople
It's because they're trying to catch all those Pokemons bruh.

This one caught a tree
http://jalopnik.com/pokemon-go-user-playing-while-driving-successfully-catc-1783609111
I get annoyed at this as well.

I'm not a fast driver, and I don't mind people driving slower when road conditions make it necessary - rain, mist, bendy roads, etc. But if it's dry and clear and we're on a national speed limit road wide and straight enough to safely do 60, then I'm going to get very annoyed if I get stuck behind someone doing 30 or 40 for no good reason. Which I have seen happen. Pretty sure that on a driving test you'd get marked down for going ridiculously slow.
I'm quite a hesitant driver, but I'd never drive significantly under the speed limit when there are other cars behind me (except for ridiculous national speed limit country roads - I don't want to die thanks)!yet I still get beeped at by inpatient idiots who want me to speed through a 30mph zone where I know there are active speed cameras - Erm no thanks! The only time I've ever really gone severely under was when I first went on the motorway and got confused *about the lanes and slowed down so much I couldn't build up my speed and got stuck in the right hand lane - it was so scary I was getting beeps, flashes and angry hand gestures .... Despite the P plates and the fact that whole thing probably lasted about 2 minutes!*
Reply 9
some people might be scared of crashing ect so drive slow to minimise the risk of some high speed collision or if they're not a very competent driver... myself personally can't wait to get a car and drive super fast
Original post by FireFreezer77
One thing that annoys me on the roads is when people drive really slowly!!
Im not talking about learners but people who have passed their test!
They drive at 20 in a 30 and I came across a couple of people who have been doing 35 in a 60!!! I nearly hit them! They're so dangerous!
I don't speed! I drive at the speed limit, so let's just clear that up. I love cars but am firmly against street racing!
But why do people drive so slowly nowadays? It's just so irritating because it kills the momentum of your car and then you use more fuel! Ugh why can't everyone drive at the speed limit like they were taught to!!?
Surely it's safer if we drive at the speed limits set?
Also people driving at 30-40mph on a dual carriage way should be pulled over for dangerous driving!
I got caught behind one in the fast lane and people were weaving around all over the place behind me trying to get past because they were traveling at 70! There was nearly an almighty accident!
But why can't we drive at the limit posted!?
Thanks!

I find it annoying too. I live in UAE, and we have speed limits on motorways in excess of 85 miles plus. Basically what use to happen was some drivers use to go like 40 in 85 zone, and well it caused many accidents. To solve this problem, now we have speed traps that track people going less than 50 in 85 zone. Its much better now, uk should implement on imposing fines to those driving really slow and being a potential hazard for other road users.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RF_PineMarten
I get annoyed at this as well.

I'm not a fast driver, and I don't mind people driving slower when road conditions make it necessary - rain, mist, bendy roads, etc. But if it's dry and clear and we're on a national speed limit road wide and straight enough to safely do 60, then I'm going to get very annoyed if I get stuck behind someone doing 30 or 40 for no good reason. Which I have seen happen. Pretty sure that on a driving test you'd get marked down for going ridiculously slow.

Glad im not the only one!

Oh yeah thats fine then! Its best to drive at a safe speed for the conditions!
Yeah me too! Its dangerous more than anything because most people will be doing in excess of 60 so theres gonna be an almighty incident at somepoint!
If you did 40 in a 60 on your test, youd fail. You have to drive at the limits on your test or at a safe speed at least. Excessive slow driving is a fail

Quick Reply

Latest