The Student Room Group

Appointment with a Department Staff (please help)

Hi,

I am thinking about applying to some unis - I wont be able to visit open days however the places I'm interested in told me that they will arrange appointments for me to speak to a staff member in my department of interest (English Literature) after Campus Tours.

The real question is... what on earth do I say/do/dress?!

Obviously I've read that you're not supposed to ask them questions that can be answered by looking at the website, so I'm really not sure what else to ask them. How do I make a positive impression on them, if I should care at all (I think I should)? I have no idea what is required of me in this situation and how to act - it's not like it's an interview but I don't think it's quite the same as randomly talking to an admissions tutor at open day. I have to come prepared but I haven't got the slightest clue on what to do on informal appointments?

I will forever treasure you if you answer this.
Like you say it isn't an interview. You are not there to impress them, you are there to find out information about the course and uni. Ask about the course structure, the sort of modules you can choose, if they have study abroad opportunities if that is something that would interest you. Anything that you would want to know if you had been able to attend an open day.
Original post by robbiesage
Hi,

I am thinking about applying to some unis - I wont be able to visit open days however the places I'm interested in told me that they will arrange appointments for me to speak to a staff member in my department of interest (English Literature) after Campus Tours.

The real question is... what on earth do I say/do/dress?!

Obviously I've read that you're not supposed to ask them questions that can be answered by looking at the website, so I'm really not sure what else to ask them. How do I make a positive impression on them, if I should care at all (I think I should)? I have no idea what is required of me in this situation and how to act - it's not like it's an interview but I don't think it's quite the same as randomly talking to an admissions tutor at open day. I have to come prepared but I haven't got the slightest clue on what to do on informal appointments?

I will forever treasure you if you answer this.

Ask them what's the best thing and the worst thing about the course/university.

People are surprisingly honest if you ask this (and worst doesn't mean bad - one persons worst could be someone elses best: eg no exams/100% coursework)
Reply 3
Original post by magratgarlick
Like you say it isn't an interview. You are not there to impress them, you are there to find out information about the course and uni. Ask about the course structure, the sort of modules you can choose, if they have study abroad opportunities if that is something that would interest you. Anything that you would want to know if you had been able to attend an open day.

Original post by PQ
Ask them what's the best thing and the worst thing about the course/university.

People are surprisingly honest if you ask this (and worst doesn't mean bad - one persons worst could be someone elses best: eg no exams/100% coursework)

Thank you. I'm going to have to speak to a lecturer from my department of interest. The university emailed me and asked me to provide them about my background, my previous studies etc and they said they are going to forward them to this lecturer. Why does he need this? Because of this, I am sort of nervous because I feel like I'm going to be scrutinized and that this lecturer I'm going to meet is expecting me to say something, but I don't know what. Information about the course I can already find online. A lot of articles mention that you have to talk enthusiastically about the subject itself and current affairs (in this case concerning literature), is this true?
Reply 4
Original post by robbiesage
Thank you. I'm going to have to speak to a lecturer from my department of interest. The university emailed me and asked me to provide them about my background, my previous studies etc and they said they are going to forward them to this lecturer. Why does he need this? Because of this, I am sort of nervous because I feel like I'm going to be scrutinized and that this lecturer I'm going to meet is expecting me to say something, but I don't know what. Information about the course I can already find online. A lot of articles mention that you have to talk enthusiastically about the subject itself and current affairs (in this case concerning literature), is this true?

Honestly relax :smile:

The lecturer will be trying to "sell" his university/course to you, not the other way round.

You aren't applying for Medicine or something similar...

Just enjoy the tour, have a chat, and ask questions if/when they occur to you. No biggy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending