The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doll Parts
If you're a civil servant it should have been declared in your application- it specifically asks about disciplinary action and live warnings and you will not be eligible to apply. Not sure what happens if you're external though, as my understanding was that they weren't contacting current employers for references.

Hmmmmm, I did apply externally and they didnt ask about disciplinary
Original post by booobooo
Hi All,

Hope your all well

Had a quick question, I've been given a provisional offer and they are currently doing checks. Im slightly concerned as I was given a written warning a couple of months ago and was wondering if this would have an impact on getting me the promotion. I haven't receiving anything from work for to state I have a ban or have been given reduced responsibilities, can it still have an effect on me getting the job.

You mentioned it being a promotion so I can safely assume you're a civil servant. If you received the written warning after you submitted your application then the recruitment team won't be aware of it. On initially applying for internal vacancies I know that an email is sent to your manager asking if there is any bar on you being promoted due to a disciplinary. When you are given a formal offer your manager is likely to be contacted again so the recruiting team can negotiate your release date. At that point I would expect your manager would block the move and tell you to withdraw your application.

If for some reason your manager isn't contacted and you do manage to start this new role you should be aware that your personnel file will be forwarded to the new department and that will contain details of your written warning. They would take a very dim view of this happening and I can't think would end well for yourself.

Regardless of the job being advertised as stage 4/external you are still considered as an internal applicant. The only way I can see around this is resigning from your current role shortly before starting your new one as then you would be considered as a new starter to the civil service although you would lose any annual leave entitlements you may have built up and would have to compete probation again. I suggest that you be honest with your manager and talk to them about it because if they aren't aware already that you applied and were successful it's likely that they will be soon.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmmmmm, I did apply externally and they didnt ask about disciplinary

What was the warning for as it can depend sometimes?
Found my answer on:

https://files.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/admin/fairs/apptrack/download.cgi?SID=b3duZXI9NTA3MDAwMCZvd25lcnR5cGU9ZmFpciZkb2NfdHlwZT12YWMmZG9jX2lkPTQ2Njg0MCZ2ZXJpZnk9OGU1ZmY2YTA1NzU2MDc5MmRhMjJkODViNmRkMzRjYWY=

"Disciplinary checks will be carried out on all successful applicants to ensure they are not subject to a promotion bar if applying on promotion and to consider whether there is any disciplinary history which may make applicants unsuitable for the posts. An ID check and nationality check will also be undertaken to confirm you have the right to work in the UK. A disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check will also be carried out (stage 4). Where the vacancy is ‘critical’, additional character checks are discretionary."

I dont think i have a ban as it wasnt mentioned in the letter i received for the warning,
Original post by SuSuT
Hi. My pre employment checks are now complete and I have received my pension options. I am still waiting for a start date. Anybody else waiting for a start date for Birmingham?

I passed my pre employment checks 3 weeks ago, still waiting for start date in B'ham. Someone I know who works there told me he thinks the next B'ham intake is October.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 665
i am losing all hope and patience now.

it has taken them 10 and a half weeks... and counting.... just to get my pre employment checks done!
Hi All,

Hope your all well

Had a quick question, I've been given a provisional offer and they are currently doing checks. Im slightly concerned as I was given a written warning a couple of months ago and was wondering if this would have an impact on getting me the promotion. I haven't receiving anything from work for to state I have a ban or have been given reduced responsibilities, can it still have an effect on me getting the job.

I work for DWP and can't be stopped applying for external jobs but managers will be contacted if I got a prov offer.

Have a chat with your manager and tell them it's stressing you out? Does your manager know you applied? Have you thought about appealing the warning?

At the end of the day a written warning is basically a slap on the wrist for something its not like leaving personal files on a train.
Original post by King86
i am losing all hope and patience now.

it has taken them 10 and a half weeks... and counting.... just to get my pre employment checks done!

At least you're having them done!!!! Lol. Reserve.....:bebored:
Reply 668
Original post by sw1981
At least you're having them done!!!! Lol. Reserve.....:bebored:

lol i've served my time on the reserve list too, think i was on it for 6 months. this whole application process is a longgggggggggggggggggggggggg test of patience lol
Original post by pukahontas
You mentioned it being a promotion so I can safely assume you're a civil servant. If you received the written warning after you submitted your application then the recruitment team won't be aware of it. On initially applying for internal vacancies I know that an email is sent to your manager asking if there is any bar on you being promoted due to a disciplinary. When you are given a formal offer your manager is likely to be contacted again so the recruiting team can negotiate your release date. At that point I would expect your manager would block the move and tell you to withdraw your application.

If for some reason your manager isn't contacted and you do manage to start this new role you should be aware that your personnel file will be forwarded to the new department and that will contain details of your written warning. They would take a very dim view of this happening and I can't think would end well for yourself.

Regardless of the job being advertised as stage 4/external you are still considered as an internal applicant. The only way I can see around this is resigning from your current role shortly before starting your new one as then you would be considered as a new starter to the civil service although you would lose any annual leave entitlements you may have built up and would have to compete probation again. I suggest that you be honest with your manager and talk to them about it because if they aren't aware already that you applied and were successful it's likely that they will be soon.

That's a bit OTT pukahontas a written warning is a slap on the wrist for something petty. Some managers in DWP dish them out like confetti without thinking about consequences. I doubt they're meant to stop someone getting other jobs unless they have a bad manager.
Original post by King86
lol i've served my time on the reserve list too, think i was on it for 6 months. this whole application process is a longgggggggggggggggggggggggg test of patience lol

6 months? You haven't done too badly! Lol. I was interviewed in November 2015, on reserve since December 2015, and have had one piece of correspondence from them in mid-May, which I think had just built my hopes up over nothing! Lol.
Original post by Smithy29
That's a bit OTT pukahontas a written warning is a slap on the wrist for something petty. Some managers in DWP dish them out like confetti without thinking about consequences. I doubt they're meant to stop someone getting other jobs unless they have a bad manager.

Agreed as a current DWP employee who has seen a few written warnings given to colleagues for relatively minor things.
So, for those of you who have had formal offers - have you actually had sight of a contract yet?

I'm just interested to see what it says in the Hours/Workind Days section, particularly with all the hoo-ha over DWPs 'Employee Deal'. Apprecaite that different roles may have different working patterns but it would be interesting to see what the generic text is.

Hey! What's DWP's employee deal you mention?
Original post by nicole.94
Hey! What's DWP's employee deal you mention?

Working between 8am-8pm and introduction of Saturday working.
Been invited for interview for HO position - interview booked for next week (Manchester)
I wouldn't say it's OTT, a written warning is a formal disciplinary measure and is taken seriously. If it had been in place on applying and the applicant declared it their application would likely be rejected. I have checked the HMRC HR guidance on this and it's pretty clear:

image.png
(edited 7 years ago)

I dont think i have a ban as it wasnt mentioned in the letter i received for the warning,

I think you should speak to PCS to confirm (if you're a member).
Original post by pukahontas
I wouldn't say it's OTT, a written warning is a formal disciplinary measure and is taken seriously.

I agree, a written warning isn't given for trivial matters. It certainly shouldn't be viewed as a 'slap on the wrist', it's part of the formal disciplinary procedure. As a PCS rep, in a highly organised Branch, I'd make sure members knew that this had serious consequences as it can affect the ability to move posts, be promoted and can be used as selection criteria in redundancy situations.
I've been advised Re the latest campaign (think it was advertised in May?), that there are 19 posts available in Liverpool. Not sure if this includes the intake for the Feb campaign also.

They said they expect those being interviewed (in the May campaign) to start in October - seems doubtful based on current timescales!

Just for those posters that were worrying about limited posts in Liverpool.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've been advised Re the latest campaign (think it was advertised in May?), that there are 19 posts available in Liverpool. Not sure if this includes the intake for the Feb campaign also.

They said they expect those being interviewed (in the May campaign) to start in October - seems doubtful based on current timescales!

Just for those posters that were worrying about limited posts in Liverpool.

I never made it past the sift :frown: *

Latest

Trending

Trending