The Student Room Group

Medicine without A level Biology?

Hi, for A Level I want to take chemistry, physics and maths with the intention to study medicine. Some people tell my that my a level options are fine, as most universities do not require biology, but some tell me I will be a weaker applicant without biology. Should I take up A Level Biology or should I leave my options as they are? :s

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemometricstudy
Hi, for A Level I want to take chemistry, physics and maths with the intention to study medicine. Some people tell my that my a level options are fine, as most universities do not require biology, but some tell me I will be a weaker applicant without biology. Should I take up A Level Biology or should I leave my options as they are? :s

Not having at least an AS level in biology (do you get to do these still?) would definitely restrict your options quite significantly.

If I were you I'd just take the full A level, why wouldn't you?
Reply 2

Medicine is biology (and chemistry)

Why would you not take biology?

Physics is not required for medicine (especially since you're taking maths), I'd replace that with biology for medicine.
(edited 7 years ago)

Not having Alevel (or at least AS level) biology will indeed restrict your application quite significantly. I would advise if your set on medicine that you take the Alevel in biology, especially considering medicine is pretty much biology.
Reply 4
Biology would be a much better option - do it instead of physics and I think you need at least 4AS's to do medicine, I think
Reply 6
If you have a dislike for a-level biology then medicine probably isn't for you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend did exactly those 3 A levels and received an offer to study medicine at St Andrews. However, she does also have an AS level in biology. I would recommend that you do it, at least for AS.

It is possible to study medicine without having bioloy as a subject. But it would be better for you to take it. In biology for A levels, you will learn things about genetics, physiology and neuro sciences. What you will learn in this section of biology A levels is enough to get an understanding for the basics of them. Of course you will learn those at university too, but it is an advantage, if you have learnt the basics before. Otherwise, you have to learn those basics first before you will go into detail with it.*
If you definitely know you want to do medicine, then I'd say you should do Biology.
Original post by Jabruq
Biology would be a much better option - do it instead of physics and I think you need at least 4AS's to do medicine, I think

Think so too. As a former student who had triple sciences, I can say that biology build more on the basics for medicine than physics. The lessons in biology seems to be more useful and makes more sense in my opinion at least.*
Reply 11
Original post by Kallisto
Think so too. As a former student who had triple sciences, I can say that biology build more on the basics for medicine than physics. The lessons in biology seems to be more useful and makes more sense in my opinion at least.*

Wow you are a brave soul for having taken on all 3 sciences! Well done, out of interest are you doing medicine? I agree with you Biology is well imo more interesting than physics but physics is respectable in its own regard.
Original post by Jabruq
Wow you are a brave soul for having taken on all 3 sciences! Well done, out of interest are you doing medicine? I agree with you Biology is well imo more interesting than physics but physics is respectable in its own regard.

No, I am not intending to study medicine, but sciences or sciences which have a touch to technology (biotechnology, nanotechnology, chemical engineering...). That is why it was a good decision to take them all.

I guess you misunderstood me a little bit. I said that biology makes more sense for studying medicine than physics. But this does not mean that I am lesser interest in physics. :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by Kallisto
No, I am not intending to study medicine, but sciences or sciences which have a touch to technology (biotechnology, nanotechnology, chemical engineering...). That is why it was a good decision to take them all.

I guess you misunderstood me a little bit. I said that biology makes more sense for studying medicine than physics. But this does not mean that I am lesser interest in physics. :wink:

Sorry I wasn't being clear in my response, I meant that I agree with you saying Biology is more useful than Physics for medicine and added that imp it is more interesting (that's me being biased there haha)
Ahh a science and technological route like biotech sounds very interesting seeing as tech is really facilitating health, industry and medicine, wish you all the best with that!
Original post by Jabruq
Sorry I wasn't being clear in my response, I meant that I agree with you saying Biology is more useful than Physics for medicine and added that imp it is more interesting (that's me being biased there haha)
Ahh a science and technological route like biotech sounds very interesting seeing as tech is really facilitating health, industry and medicine, wish you all the best with that!

Thank you, but there is no hurry. I am not in a hurry to find a university place. If I have found the right university for the right university course, I enroll.

Hi gemometricstudy

How are you getting on with your choices?

I thought I may be able to offer you some advice as we have pretty good knowledge in this area!

You are correct in that Biology is not an essential subject at A-level to go onto study medicine, however, it is highly recommended and most people who do study medicine have taken Biology at least to AS level. That is not to say that if you do decide against taking it, that you can't still apply for medical school.

The subjects that you are choosing are good choices for medicine. Chemistry really is essential and if you re applying for Oxbridge Maths or Physics are a good idea due to the theoretical nature of the course.

You might want to have a read of this blog post as it is about the exact subject! Hopefully you'll find it quite interesting to read the perspective of someone who has been through this themselves.

I hope I have been of some use... do let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Good luck with your choices!

UniAdmissions
Original post by Lemauricien
Biology is gr8 *

You are so right, possibly even the greatest natural science ever. :smile: What do you think? *
Lots of information here about applying for Medicine - including subject requirements of each Med School : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

PS. Its worth looking at other related courses such as http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/ which only require Chemistry.
Yes not all require biology but your breadth of choice for a university will be limited & since it's so hard to get into medicine I'd say keep your options wide and do Biology A level
Medicine is basically biology though so if you're not really into that, then the course may not appeal although I'm aware that this differs with individuals. E.g maybe you prefer only human biology and don't want to study plants which I personally hate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending