The Student Room Group

My dad died two weeks ago. Should I tell prospective employer at interview?

My dad died on 24 June. I have an interview next week for the civil service and I'm pretty keen on the job. I don't know whether to inform them prior to the interview, leave it, or just tell them if it comes up during the interview. It very well could do, seeing as they'll want to know what I've been doing for the past few months - I quit my job in April to go travelling, travelled for 6 weeks but then had to come home early to be with my dad whose illness was worsening. I stayed with my parents until his death, and am still living at home and have been looking for a job. What should I do? It might be worth making my interviewers aware of what happened so if I come across not as good as I would under normal circumstances, it might make a difference. Equally, I don't want to appear unprofessional/crybaby. Any advice welcome!
'Personal issues' will suffice, if they want more then you can say your dad died.
If I were you, I wouldn't say anything beforehand and if they asked about what I've been doing, I'd say I had to return from traveling for family reasons and then tell that my dad died if they asked me to specify.

I'm so sorry for your loss :frown: the best of luck with your application!
Sorry to read about that. I hope your family is doing well.

I think that you should say you had a family situation. If they ask for clarification, then you mention it.

Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
My dad died on 24 June. I have an interview next week for the civil service and I'm pretty keen on the job. I don't know whether to inform them prior to the interview, leave it, or just tell them if it comes up during the interview. It very well could do, seeing as they'll want to know what I've been doing for the past few months - I quit my job in April to go travelling, travelled for 6 weeks but then had to come home early to be with my dad whose illness was worsening. I stayed with my parents until his death, and am still living at home and have been looking for a job. What should I do? It might be worth making my interviewers aware of what happened so if I come across not as good as I would under normal circumstances, it might make a difference. Equally, I don't want to appear unprofessional/crybaby. Any advice welcome!

sorry to hear, you should definitely mention something about it
don't tell them, it's weird in that context as you don't even work there yet and they will worry about your professional boundaries and whether you will be able to cope

if you're asked about what you've been doing I think you could reasonably say 'travelling' or 'caring for a family member'/'dealing with a family emergency which is now resolved', I doubt they will question you any further on that as it will be clear it is a sensitive topic
Just say you had a bereavement in the family. Or just say "personal issues" - you don't need to go so deep into it unless they really ask.

I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your family is doing well. Good luck for the interview and take it easy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending