The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone!

I need some advice - I graduated last year with a BSc Biotechnology so I've had a year of various types of work experience since then, but I'm concerned that I don't have enough experience in a healthcare setting.

I've spent 3 months volunteering in Nicaragua living in a poverty stricken community, mostly helping individuals with business plans, but I also initiated a project there to raise awareness of the health implications of burning rubbish. I also have three months experience working in PR for various health organisations, which was very interesting and I got a lot of insight into the NHS. I have also been editing scientific medical papers on a freelance basis since December last year and I have started volunteering with a charity for blind people last month one day a week, where I mostly help out at a lunch club, assisting people in moving around, chatting with them and serving food.

I'm not sure what sort of experience I should be looking for now. I have an additional dilemma because I'm actually supposed to be spending next year in Spain from October working as a language assistant, but I'm not sure how this would come across on my application - obviously language skills and experience working with kids would be beneficial, but with my lack of experience in a healthcare setting, I'm not too sure.

Sorry for the essay! Any advice would be really appreciated!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xXFrenchKicksXx
Hi everyone!

I need some advice - I graduated last year with a BSc Biotechnology so I've had a year of various types of work experience since then, but I'm concerned that I don't have enough experience in a healthcare setting.

I've spent 3 months volunteering in Nicaragua living in a poverty stricken community, mostly helping individuals with business plans, but I also initiated a project there to raise awareness of the health implications of burning rubbish. I also have three months experience working in PR for various health organisations, which was very interesting and I got a lot of insight into the NHS. I have also been editing scientific medical papers on a freelance basis since December last year and I have also started volunteering with a charity for blind people last month one day a week, where I mostly help out at a lunch club, assisting people in moving around, chatting with them and serving food.

I'm not sure what sort of experience I should be looking for now. I have an additional dilemma because I'm actually supposed to be spending next year in Spain from October working as a language assistant, but I'm not sure how this would come across on my application - obviously language skills and experience working with kids would be beneficial, but with my lack of experience in a healthcare setting, I'm not too sure.

Sorry for the essay! Any advice would be really appreciated!

I'd definitely advise you to find some hands on healthcare experience. HCA work in a hospital, a carer in a nursing home/hospice, a support worker supporting those with learning difficulties and disabilities. Many of these jobs are available full or part-time and with hospitals you have the option to do bank work which is great for flexibility if you have other commitments.

Your experiences are broad and it will be good to showcase this variety and that you have pushed yourself out of your comfort zone to work abroad. However, without any hands on experience I think your application would suffer a lot I'm afraid.
Reply 802
Hello guys,

I've graduated in Biomedical Science and I've been working as a Scientist in an NHS hospital for a year now. Before that I was an MLA at a NHS hospital for 6 months.

I have some patient contact and work closely with phlebotomy. I have a family and it's my full-time job. Does anyone know if this experience will be enough for GEM or will universities be expecting I do more clinical based experience?
Original post by vcsuri
Hello guys,

I've graduated in Biomedical Science and I've been working as a Scientist in an NHS hospital for a year now. Before that I was an MLA at a NHS hospital for 6 months.

I have some patient contact and work closely with phlebotomy. I have a family and it's my full-time job. Does anyone know if this experience will be enough for GEM or will universities be expecting I do more clinical based experience?

I've been through this cycle before (having got 3 interviews). What they are after is any role with a caring aspect, I feel I know the job you are doing as I've applied for a few in the past, I'd say that probably isn't enough.

What I'd suggest is literally a weekend or so every month just volunteering in a care home where there's a lot more one-on-one personal care in comparison to the lab tech (assuming) role that you do now.

If you are in a position where you can leave however, I'd suggest applying for a HCA position. You should get a place fairly easily through the internal hiring policies the NHS has in place.
Hello everyone, can anyone tell me anything about the MMI interview at St George's and any advice you would give to help one prepare for this style of interview?Many thanks in advance.
Hiya all, just finished my Bsc in Biomedical Science (1st) and also snagged the President's Prize for best student as well. Been volunteering in a major hospital for 2 years now weekly on various wards including Neurosurgery and Renal Dialysis, and just got a job that should start anytime now as a bank HCA at another major hospital across town across all of the wards and some community shifts as well. Gonna try and kiss up to a few JD's or consultants after a few weeks on the job and see if I can't come in on a day off here and there and just... Follow them like a smell. That'll tick of shadowing experience within a clinical setting and should overall give me a good range of experience. Struggled to get any GP shadowing due to all the red tape 😫

Sitting the GAMSAT in September with the intention of getting into Notts almost solely, but also applying for SGUL and Swansea. Looking forward to what the next 9 months bring!

Except for GAMSAT. Nobody looks forward to sitting the damn GAMSAT 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themightylaa
Hiya all, just finished my Bsc in Biomedical Science (1st) and also snagged the President's Prize for best student as well. Been volunteering in a major hospital for 2 years now weekly on various wards including Neurosurgery and Renal Dialysis, and just got a job that should start anytime now as a bank HCA at another major hospital across town across all of the wards and some community shifts as well. Gonna try and kiss up to a few JD's or consultants after a few weeks on the job and see if I can't come in on a day off here and there and just... Follow them like a smell. That'll tick of shadowing experience within a clinical setting and should overall give me a good range of experience. Struggled to get any GP shadowing due to all the red tape 😫

Sitting the GAMSAT in September with the intention of getting into Notts almost solely, but also applying for SGUL and Swansea. Looking forward to what the next 9 months bring!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wouldn't bother with the shadowing, as long you have some form of care I the clinic setting that'll be enough. As it is more quality of the experience over quantity.
Notts said you don't need it at the open day, Swansea definitely don't want it and from what I remember SGUL didn't want any (but I won't be applying there due to their awful awful interview style).
Guys

I've done so much research but I still can't decide between one of these three:

1. Take a gap year
2. Study biomedical science and apply for GEM
3. Study Medicine in Europe

Can someone tell me, are all medical degrees regardless of where you've studied treated equal when applying for a job?

For example, ofcourse Cambridge is excellent, but would a medical degree from Cambridge be taken as equal consideration as someone's degree from somewhere like Pleven or Sofia Medical school? (provided other factors are the same)
Original post by Rosser1994
I really wouldn't bother with the shadowing, as long you have some form of care I the clinic setting that'll be enough. As it is more quality of the experience over quantity.
Notts said you don't need it at the open day, Swansea definitely don't want it and from what I remember SGUL didn't want any (but I won't be applying there due to their awful awful interview style).

Yeah true, but I think I'd still do a little bit of shadowing purely out of interest, just to see first hand the day of the Doctor on a typical ward. I figure why not, if it's not inconvenient for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 809
Original post by f.loco
Guys

I've done so much research but I still can't decide between one of these three:

1. Take a gap year
2. Study biomedical science and apply for GEM
3. Study Medicine in Europe

Can someone tell me, are all medical degrees regardless of where you've studied treated equal when applying for a job?

For example, ofcourse Cambridge is excellent, but would a medical degree from Cambridge be taken as equal consideration as someone's degree from somewhere like Pleven or Sofia Medical school? (provided other factors are the same)

Hey! I took a gap year and it was the best year of my life so would always recommend it. In terms of biomed science followed by GEM it's a HUGE commitment. A three/four year degree in something that may be 'second-best' to you is tough but if you're passionate enough then go for it! I'm studying medical science at Leeds and absolutely loving it after moping about the entire summer before that I wasn't going to be studying medicine. Tbh I'm glad the way it's worked out for me, I've loved the content of the course and I've had more time to get involved in societies and volunteering, but maybe I'm just lucky :smile:

In terms of applying for medicine in Europe I've had a look but it never really appealed to me, I've had my heart set on studying in the UK so I'm afraid I can't really help you there. If you plan an awesome gap year and rebuild your application I promise you won't regret it even if you don't get in (I can speak from experience :u:)

All of this is my opinion though so have a think :smile: all the best x
Original post by Emmawinterson
Hey! I took a gap year and it was the best year of my life so would always recommend it. In terms of biomed science followed by GEM it's a HUGE commitment. A three/four year degree in something that may be 'second-best' to you is tough but if you're passionate enough then go for it! I'm studying medical science at Leeds and absolutely loving it after moping about the entire summer before that I wasn't going to be studying medicine. Tbh I'm glad the way it's worked out for me, I've loved the content of the course and I've had more time to get involved in societies and volunteering, but maybe I'm just lucky :smile:

In terms of applying for medicine in Europe I've had a look but it never really appealed to me, I've had my heart set on studying in the UK so I'm afraid I can't really help you there. If you plan an awesome gap year and rebuild your application I promise you won't regret it even if you don't get in (I can speak from experience :u:)

All of this is my opinion though so have a think :smile: all the best x

Heyyy! Seems like you really did have a fantastic gap year! I'm glad that you did, and you made decisions you are happy about! That's excellent and I wish you all the best and further success in your chosen discipline!

May I ask, how did you plan your gap year? Like, did you first save up a lot of money or find a job before you left for different acitvities like travelling etc.? If it's possible can you please PM me, 'Cause I really want to find out more about your gap year!

Thanks so much! Have completely moved my vision towards the gap year option!
Original post by Themightylaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

I loved my time shadowing! Got to follow several consultants around and scrub in on surgeries. As a result of the hospital based shadowing I managed to secure GP shadowing as well so got a different perspective. I currently work as an HCA (on night shift at the moment!) whilst doing my MSc and I think that I will be a better doctor because of the HCA work. Shadowing is fun and you get to see some amazing things but it's not so great for a heavy dose of realism that HCA work gives you.Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 812
Hey Everyone,*

Need some help, as always!

Do i need to have the 70hrs work experience before October if I am to apply to Warwick Medical School?

Because if I have understood correctly, Warwick do not look at your personal statement, which means you are called for an interview entirely based on your UKCAT score. Then if you are successful and will be called for the selection process/interview it is at that point we are asked to provide work experience details.

Have i understood this right?

Thanks guys! :-)**
Original post by 123ash
Hey Everyone,*

Do i need to have the 70hrs work experience before October if I am to apply to Warwick Medical School?

Because if I have understood correctly, Warwick do not look at your personal statement, which means you are called for an interview entirely based on your UKCAT score. Then if you are successful and will be called for the selection process/interview it is at that point we are asked to provide work experience details.

I thought they sent the form after you applied and before giving out interviews?

I still haven't started my HCA job. I've only just found out that the hospital didn't send me the required pre-employment forms and that they've been waiting over a month for my former manager to provide a reference and he still hasn't done it so now I've got to turn up at my former workplace to speak to him again. I wouldn't have a problem with him if he hadn't been such a bully when I was working. I think I'm going to have to maybe apply next year because it doesn't look like I'm going to get the relevant experience before October because the only experience I have is as a ward volunteer. :frown:
Original post by Marathi
I'd definitely advise you to find some hands on healthcare experience. HCA work in a hospital, a carer in a nursing home/hospice, a support worker supporting those with learning difficulties and disabilities. Many of these jobs are available full or part-time and with hospitals you have the option to do bank work which is great for flexibility if you have other commitments.

Your experiences are broad and it will be good to showcase this variety and that you have pushed yourself out of your comfort zone to work abroad. However, without any hands on experience I think your application would suffer a lot I'm afraid.

Thanks so much for your response. The volunteer work I'm doing with blind people is actually in a care home setting, but yeah I see what you're saying - I'm sure I will be up against applicants with a lot more relevant experience.

Do you reckon I would be eligible for HCA jobs etc with my experience?
Original post by 123ash
Hey Everyone,*

They ask for work experience info between the application closing date and interview. At least that's what was said at the open day.
Thanks so much for your response. The volunteer work I'm doing with blind people is actually in a care home setting, but yeah I see what you're saying - I'm sure I will be up against applicants with a lot more relevant experience.

Yes I got mine with minimal experience
Reply 817
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I thought they sent the form after you applied and before giving out interviews?

I still haven't started my HCA job. I've only just found out that the hospital didn't send me the required pre-employment forms and that they've been waiting over a month for my former manager to provide a reference and he still hasn't done it so now I've got to turn up at my former workplace to speak to him again. I wouldn't have a problem with him if he hadn't been such a bully when I was working. I think I'm going to have to maybe apply next year because it doesn't look like I'm going to get the relevant experience before October because the only experience I have is as a ward volunteer. :frown:

Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I attended the open day, but was confused. So they will ask for the work experience details by October.

Well, even if you have not yet started your HCA role. You could always volunteer as a companion volunteer or care assistant. And then 70hrs is just 2 weeks, so it is possible with the time remaining :-).*
Reply 818
Original post by Marathi
They ask for work experience info between the application closing date and interview. At least that's what was said at the open day.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. :-)

I got my HCA role with no care experience whatsoever:smile: Normally they are short staffed anyway and are more than willing to train you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending