The Student Room Group

Nottingham GEM (A101) 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Email from Sarb - I'm number 13! I don't know how hopeful to be about that...
Original post by Rich_JW95
Email from Sarb - I'm number 13! I don't know how hopeful to be about that...

I think they only gave out 7 offers last year to the waiting list. Although a fair few people drop off the waiting list. I'm number 16 so probably not going to get a place. Ah well.
Original post by neuronerd
I think they only gave out 7 offers last year to the waiting list. Although a fair few people drop off the waiting list. I'm number 16 so probably not going to get a place. Ah well.

Yeah, I think unfortunately at this point we're just relying on luck... We'll see, I'll focus on finishing my degree for now.
Reply 403
Original post by neuronerd

Any idea when they gave those offers out? I'm 3rd on the waiting list, but I've other offers so I'll need my name to come up before the 8th June, wondering what my chances are haha 😁
Original post by CON94
Any idea when they gave those offers out? I'm 3rd on the waiting list, but I've other offers so I'll need my name to come up before the 8th June, wondering what my chances are haha 😁

I have extensively looked at previous years' forums and it seems to me that they tend to come through not long after the UCAS June deadline, presumably because they have everyone's initial decisions that way. But who knows, some may come before then!
Reply 405
Original post by Rich_JW95
I have extensively looked at previous years' forums and it seems to me that they tend to come through not long after the UCAS June deadline, presumably because they have everyone's initial decisions that way. But who knows, some may come before then!

I got a phone call from the university at the start of the week and they offered me a place, so the waiting list is definitely moving! :smile:
Reply 406
Wow! Well done😃😃😄😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by CON94
I got a phone call from the university at the start of the week and they offered me a place, so the waiting list is definitely moving! :smile:

Ahhh, congrats, I knew 1 and 2 had been offered from the Facebook group but it's still going down it seems.. Excellent.
Reply 408
Hello guys,
I know this thread is for 2016 entry, but you will all have received your offers and most of you will hopefully have started studying for your dream job. I'm applying for 2017 entry and want to go to Notts, so I found fitting to post here.

I've graduated in Biomedical Science and I've been working as a Scientist in an NHS hospital for a year now. Before that I was an MLA at a NHS hospital for 8 months.I have some patient contact and work closely with phlebotomy. I have a family and it's my full-time job. Does anyone know if this experience will be enough for GEM or will Nottingham be expecting I do more clinical based experience?
Reply 409
Hi vcsuri, I've got an offer for 2016 entry and I'm a Pharmacist with only a little GP shadowing experience. I'd say the gold standard for experience is HCA work. Working in a hospital environment within the MDT will allow you close contact with docs, nurses etc...

Saying that, any close patient contact role would be great. Volunteering in a care home could be good too.

You'll often be told that it's all about what you have gained from your experience and how it shapes your answers in the interview and I found this to be true.

I've read that Notts takes into account your age/responsibilities etc. When looking at your experience but I can't remember if I had the opportunity to talk about my familial responsibilities and how it impacted on my ability to seek voluntary work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 410
Original post by hbg
Hi vcsuri, I've got an offer for 2016 entry and I'm a Pharmacist with only a little GP shadowing experience. I'd say the gold standard for experience is HCA work. Working in a hospital environment within the MDT will allow you close contact with docs, nurses etc...

Saying that, any close patient contact role would be great. Volunteering in a care home could be good too.

You'll often be told that it's all about what you have gained from your experience and how it shapes your answers in the interview and I found this to be true.

I've read that Notts takes into account your age/responsibilities etc. When looking at your experience but I can't remember if I had the opportunity to talk about my familial responsibilities and how it impacted on my ability to seek voluntary work.

Thanks for that hbg,

I also have some experience as a Medical Interpreter, where I was in between the patient and the doctor translating word for word of what was being said and making sure communication was effective. That is direct patient contact, so I'm hoping that will count for something too :smile: That lasted a little over 2 years.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to look into doing both, shadow my GP and volunteer in a care home. Do you think doing a few months of this will suffice for Nottingham? I'm hoping it does, I want to get in for 2017.
Hiya, just looking for Nottingham specific advice for interviews (obviously nothing past what the confidentiality agreement says). I’m just worried as I’ll be going up against much older people with much more experience and literally have everything riding on Nottingham!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending