The Student Room Group

What languages can you speak in and what languages can you think in?

Scroll to see replies

Mandarin + English for both speaking and thinking
Reply 2
Original post by xxKiaraxx
Mandarin + English for both speaking and thinking

What age did you learn both languages? Can you think in any other language? Can you consciously just decide..."hey, 'm going to think in Mandarin now or hey, i'm going to think in English now" ?
I speak English, Arabic, Urdu, Punjabi. I think in Arabic and English, mostly Arabic like 70 percent of the time.
Original post by fg45344
What age did you learn both languages? Can you think in any other language? Can you consciously just decide..."hey, 'm going to think in Mandarin now or hey, i'm going to think in English now" ?

I was born in China so Mandarin was my first language and the only language I spoke until I moved to England when I was 6ish. I can't usually think in any other languages unless I've been studying it a lot recently or I'm in a country that uses that language.

Hmm I can consciously make the switch randomly but most of the time it's an automatic thing (e.g. if I start talking to a Chinese person I'll think in Mandarin and then when I talk to an English person I'll go back to English).

I use English as a default usually although I dream in both. :redface:
Reply 5
I was born in China so Mandarin was my first language and the only language I spoke until I moved to England when I was 6ish. I can't usually think in any other languages unless I've been studying it a lot recently or I'm in a country that uses that language.

Hmm I can consciously make the switch randomly but most of the time it's an automatic thing (e.g. if I start talking to a Chinese person I'll think in Mandarin and then when I talk to an English person I'll go back to English).

I use English as a default usually although I dream in both. :redface:

What about when thinking on your own?
I can speak all of them, hence why I've managed to pick up birds from every country on earth mate.
I speak English, Arabic, Somali and Spanish :smile: I think in English/Arabic, depends on what I’m reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can speak in English, and I can also think in English :biggrin:
English and english.
Original post by Spoderman14
I can speak in English, and I can also think in English :biggrin:

that is impressive ; are you from england originally ?
Original post by fg45344
What about when thinking on your own?

Either/Both
Reply 12
Either/Both

So you can think in Mandarin or English, when thinking on your own?
I speak Hodor.
Reply 14
Original post by SoggyCabbages
I speak Hodor.

What is that?
I can speak and think fluently in both English and Sarcasm.
Original post by fg45344
So you can think in Mandarin or English, when thinking on your own?

Yeah.
I speak English and Tamil (some Asian language). I think in English.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fg45344
What is that?

Reply 19
Original post by Trapz99
I speak English and Tamil (some Asian language). I think in English.

Can you think in Tamil?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending