The Student Room Group

Unplugging myself from the social media - Your personal experiences...

Decided to block everyone I know on social media and deactivate my accounts, drop my smartphone and reduce internet consumption. Just wondering if any of you have done this before, to some extent at least, and how was it for you? The reason I decided to stop was because of the non stop arguments, irrelevant drama and useless insults I've been involved in, irrational thinking, things I know I wouldn't say if I thought through it but I didn't. What's your experience I guess.

Scroll to see replies

This is something I've been thinking of doing myself. Often I use the internet far too much and social media takes up large part of that. It'd certainly be interesting to see how I would fair by completely blocking it out but from my lack of discipline, I don't stay away too long. I have now used it less and less though, trying to use it only for messaging rather than browsing posts. However this just means I'll turn to other entertainment online. I would say if you do wish to try stop using social media, do it gradually. Keep yourself from viewing too much at a time and maybe have a time restriction, and with every further use, decrease the allowed time. For me, a lot of it is just a waste of time, whereas I could be doing something more productive, so it's definitely good to cutback. Glad to hear you have realised that social media is draining and to do something about it.
Reply 2
Original post by lotsofatoms
This is something I've been thinking of doing myself. Often I use the internet far too much and social media takes up large part of that. It'd certainly be interesting to see how I would fair by completely blocking it out but from my lack of discipline, I don't stay away too long. I have now used it less and less though, trying to use it only for messaging rather than browsing posts. However this just means I'll turn to other entertainment online. I would say if you do wish to try stop using social media, do it gradually. Keep yourself from viewing too much at a time and maybe have a time restriction, and with every further use, decrease the allowed time. For me, a lot of it is just a waste of time, whereas I could be doing something more productive, so it's definitely good to cutback. Glad to hear you have realised that social media is draining and to do something about it.

I was thinking about reducing the consumption during a period of time however I'm not addicted since I have lived with a smartphone for a while and ditched social media for a month or two i believe. I'm just tired of it all. Arguing, debating, back biting, memes, banter. Need a break. Just thought I would post it on this forum before dropping this as well.

Original post by Foo.mp3

Definitely agree. While social media has it's pros, the cons for me are still overpowering.
Original post by Rohan187
I was thinking about reducing the consumption during a period of time however I'm not addicted since I have lived with a smartphone for a while and ditched social media for a month or two i believe. I'm just tired of it all. Arguing, debating, back biting, memes, banter. Need a break. Just thought I would post it on this forum before dropping this as well.

Definitely agree. While social media has it's pros, the cons for me are still overpowering.

lol i dont have instagram.twitter. i only have snapchat which i am addicted to. But now only go on it once a day just to see everyone's stories
Reply 4
i didn't go on my phone for 5 days once and made me feel pretty good
Reply 5
I have never given up the internet but I have been off social media for almost a year now (excluding WhatsApp, if that counts). It hasn't really made that much of a difference to my life since I never really used social media constantly, but it has done a lot for my self esteem... Instagram really made me feel worse about myself. I really don't think it's something anyone needs to have, and not having it really won't make that much of a difference to your life imo. I guess it depends on how much you use social media; it will be different for everyone.
I have Twitter and Facebook, but I only created Facebook a few months ago and there's little on it. (Made Twitter in 2011). I just go on Twitter to retweet/favourite funny stuff and keep up with current affairs. I'm not too attached to any of them tbh, and I've never fought with anyone or anything on them.
The 2 times I stopped using social media was when I was sad.
Do it. I honestly believe that a lot of people would feel a lot happier in themselves if they didn't use social media.
Instagram honestly is terrible for a girl's self esteem. I do have it but I rarely put up selfies like my mates do. I just put up pictures of places I've been. It's got to the point where so many girls on instagram end up thinking that how pretty they are is based purely on how many likes their selfies get and not on other things.
I stopped using Facebook and Twitter just over a year now. Recently, I have been thinking to going back to twitter when uni starts.
I decided to stop using facebook because I didn't like the people on my facebook and Twitter just became...boring.

It has benefited me in so many ways. I feel like in this one year I have changed so much and become so much more mature. Although, that could have been down to many reasons and not solely because of the lack of social media. Having said that, not using social media has made me lose some old friends. There are so many people who I have unfortunately stopped speaking to because I no longer use social media :frown: So it's both positive and negative really.

Instagram is something I don't have and never will have lol. I just hate how so many girls feed of how attractive they are by the likes or followers they have.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did this a few years ago, I'm honestly happy I'm not a slave to a smartphone, I abandoned my old Facebook account, never had a Twitter account. Admittedly I do have a Facebook account now, but only to sign up to Uni content, and have a handful of my classmates as 'friends' for convenience, but my profile is set to private so it doesn't come up on a search.

It's great! I don't have to update any statuses, nor like anyone else's, no constant stream of selfies or details about other people's lives. Never going back to 'social networking'.

Good luck :smile:
Decided to block everyone I know on social media and deactivate my accounts, drop my smartphone and reduce internet consumption. Just wondering if any of you have done this before, to some extent at least, and how was it for you? The reason I decided to stop was because of the non stop arguments, irrelevant drama and useless insults I've been involved in, irrational thinking, things I know I wouldn't say if I thought through it but I didn't. What's your experience I guess.

Less depressed, much happier. Productivity is through the roof and I enjoy the simple things in life..going out randomly for a walk in the forest..and just in general going out more! ( 5 of us did this as a test for 7 days).

I did this for all my social media for a period of 2 years in order to help limit my social anxiety. It worked a treat.

I re-introduced myself to social media a few months, but this time by a less identifiable account, and I've only added people I'd trust with pretty much anything.

It's a much less stressful and more rewarding experience that way, rather than having everyone I know on there.
Reply 14
I did it after I had some issues after a break up earlier on in the year (no not stalking)..

Didn't deactivate things, just logged out and deleted apps etc. In the beginning it was just going to be for a month to help me through the bad patch, plus I didn't want to talk anyone so I had no reason to be on it. But in the end it lasted for 3 and a half months, February through to June because I felt it'd help me stay more focused for exams.

It worked amazingly I have to say, I felt far better about life and other things and was a lot more focused on college work, it also makes you actually pay attention to conversations a lot more, as well as noting how rude your friends can be for going on phones whilst talking to you :') The only issue being that everyone seems to use Facebook to message each other, so people stopped talking to me and inviting me out even after I got through my bad patch. :/

Try it though, it's not good to be dependent on something and it acts as a really good detox if you need more concentration.
I did and three days later my friends called my mum asking if I was still alive. :tongue:
My life improved when I stopped using it so much

my friend's good friend's with a psychotherapist, and he said the biggest reason women come to him is because of self-image issues relating to social media
Reply 17
I expected positive results from ditching social media. Honestly, I find myself feeling bored but now I don't turn to my phone to satisfy my boredom. I spend my time before sleeping, thinking instead of checking who liked my status or who disagreed with my comment, and I forgot how many thoughts pile in my mind before bed, kinda overwhelming but in a good way. Thanks for the motivation, guys. Glad I made this decision.
I expected positive results from ditching social media. Honestly, I find myself feeling bored but now I don't turn to my phone to satisfy my boredom. I spend my time before sleeping, thinking instead of checking who liked my status or who disagreed with my comment, and I forgot how many thoughts pile in my mind before bed, kinda overwhelming but in a good way. Thanks for the motivation, guys. Glad I made this decision.

What social media did you have?
Original post by The Assassin
My life improved when I stopped using it so much

my friend's good friend's with a psychotherapist, and he said the biggest reason women come to him is because of self-image issues relating to social media

That's quite sad. Increased technology should be improving people's lives not hampering them.

Quick Reply

Latest