The Student Room Group

What should I take to Uni?

My course is maths and I'm not sure of what I should take. I have a rough idea but I guess I'm just panicking. If anyone can help me, then please do! Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by little_one_-
My course is maths and I'm not sure of what I should take. I have a rough idea but I guess I'm just panicking. If anyone can help me, then please do! Thanks.
i feel exactly the same. I feel like a calculator is probably a good idea, maybe a graphics one but im not sure... Does your uni not give you a list on its website?
Reply 2
Original post by Aph
i feel exactly the same. I feel like a calculator is probably a good idea, maybe a graphics one but im not sure... Does your uni not give you a list on its website?

Yeah, I'll be taking my basics (calculator, pens, paper) just not sure if i should buy folders or any of that stuff. and if i should, then how many. i haven't really found anything on the website but i suppose i'll just check again.
Reply 3
Im doing maths as well and probably will just bring a basic pencil case and then buy paper when i get there / a folder to save space
Reply 4
Yeah, I'll be taking my basics (calculator, pens, paper) just not sure if i should buy folders or any of that stuff. and if i should, then how many. i haven't really found anything on the website but i suppose i'll just check again.

I'm not sure if I need folders too. I used them for A-levels but never looked back at them...
Folders Probs good idea to organise notes for different modules etc, normal calculator should be fine afaik, pens, notes etc obvs, laptop/tablet/desktop all I can think of atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
ESSENTIAL
-Calculator (check your unis exam regulations first as then you can make sure to buy one you can use in exams).
-Pens (you need at least one bright colour to annotate notes, I just used red biros)
-Pencils, Ruler, Sharpener, Rubber (for drawing graphs and diagrams)
-Paper (you will need this to hand in tutorial answers even if you write your notes in a book)
-Clear Pencil Case (so you can use it in exams)

RECOMMENDED
-Exercise books /folder (I prefer writing notes in exercise books so they stay together, you could also use a folder instead. You will want to refer to notes from previous modules throughout your degree so at least keep them organised until you graduate)
-Laptop
- At least one good exam pen in blue or black (so a very smooth gel pen or a fountain pen, depending on your preference, something you can write with for ages!)
-Academic Diary

USEFUL
-Highlighters
-Lever Arch folder (collate notes at the end of each term into a bigger folder for future reference)
-Box folder or document wallet (for important documents like Student Loans letters, etc)
-Cheap Tablet (so you can read PDFs / powerpoints on the go, you could also use a smartphone or a small laptop)

Source: just graduated and I found all this stuff very useful!
Reply 7
Original post by monkyvirus
ESSENTIAL
-Calculator (check your unis exam regulations first as then you can make sure to buy one you can use in exams).
-Pens (you need at least one bright colour to annotate notes, I just used red biros)
-Pencils, Ruler, Sharpener, Rubber (for drawing graphs and diagrams)
-Paper (you will need this to hand in tutorial answers even if you write your notes in a book)
-Clear Pencil Case (so you can use it in exams)

RECOMMENDED
-Exercise books /folder (I prefer writing notes in exercise books so they stay together, you could also use a folder instead. You will want to refer to notes from previous modules throughout your degree so at least keep them organised until you graduate)
-Laptop
- At least one good exam pen in blue or black (so a very smooth gel pen or a fountain pen, depending on your preference, something you can write with for ages!)
-Academic Diary

USEFUL
-Highlighters
-Lever Arch folder (collate notes at the end of each term into a bigger folder for future reference)
-Box folder or document wallet (for important documents like Student Loans letters, etc)
-Cheap Tablet (so you can read PDFs / powerpoints on the go, you could also use a smartphone or a small laptop)

Source: just graduated and I found all this stuff very useful!

Thanks for the indepth list ; I think this will be helpful
Original post by fefssdf
Thanks for the indepth list ; I think this will be helpful

http://www.savethestudent.org/accommodation/what-to-take-to-university.html

This list would be worth looking at :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest