The Student Room Group

Clinical work experience - how did you get it?

Hey, so I am trying to get some type of clinical work experience for graduate entry medicine, but have been unable to so far and so I'm in a bit of a bind. Most people I've spoken to 'knew' someone and I am not one of those lucky people.

If anyone could suggest anything that would be great :smile:
A lot of hospitals offer clinical work experience, so I'd suggest contacting your local hospital and ask if they do. If not, you should volunteer there anyway to get experience of being in a hospital environment- this will also impress universities.
I found mine online. Apply early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frappé
I found mine online. Apply early.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which hospitals? The ones I've contacted only do it with certain secondary schools in their area, or only accept people from schemes aimed at sixth formers.
Original post by meemily
A lot of hospitals offer clinical work experience, so I'd suggest contacting your local hospital and ask if they do. If not, you should volunteer there anyway to get experience of being in a hospital environment- this will also impress universities.

That is the thing though, I did plenty of voluneering in secondary and sixth form but still was asked about work experience in my interview. Yes, I will start volunteering again it's just this time I want to have all bases covered.
Reply 5
I volunteered at my hospital and after 6 months or so I asked how to arrange some clinical work experience. The lady who arranged my volunteering put me into contact with the work experience organiser who got me signed up onto the same scheme that they use for school/college students, despite being 26 at the time. I got to shadow doctors, the odd nurse, and a radiographer, across various departments (from x-ray and dialysis to MAU and fracture clinic) of the hospital over 7 days. Great experience!

It is entirely possible to get shadowing experience without knowing somebody, you just have to be incredibly persistent and somewhat annoying :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by person online
That is the thing though, I did plenty of voluneering in secondary and sixth form but still was asked about work experience in my interview. Yes, I will start volunteering again it's just this time I want to have all bases covered.

Email people. Go on hospital websites and find the email address for clinical leads/consultants for departments. Send them a polite email explaining your situation and some will be willing to help, then it's just a case of liaising with the hospital work experience team. It takes quite a while to organise so you have to be prepared to put the time in. Also you have to consider travel/accommodation cost depending on how far away the hospital is. But my point overall is that it is possible without any contacts. I emailed about 50 people asking for work experience in lots of hospitals and got about 8 weeks from that. Most people didn't even bother to reply, but it only took 8 people of those 50 to say yes and hence I spent all last summer in hospitals observing in lots of departments. Good luck to you
Original post by abcd13
Email people. Go on hospital websites and find the email address for clinical leads/consultants for departments. Send them a polite email explaining your situation and some will be willing to help, then it's just a case of liaising with the hospital work experience team. It takes quite a while to organise so you have to be prepared to put the time in. Also you have to consider travel/accommodation cost depending on how far away the hospital is. But my point overall is that it is possible without any contacts. I emailed about 50 people asking for work experience in lots of hospitals and got about 8 weeks from that. Most people didn't even bother to reply, but it only took 8 people of those 50 to say yes and hence I spent all last summer in hospitals observing in lots of departments. Good luck to you

Thank you! It's great that you were able to arrange lots of experience, I wiill try and do the same.
Original post by Marathi
I volunteered at my hospital and after 6 months or so I asked how to arrange some clinical work experience. The lady who arranged my volunteering put me into contact with the work experience organiser who got me signed up onto the same scheme that they use for school/college students, despite being 26 at the time. I got to shadow doctors, the odd nurse, and a radiographer, across various departments (from x-ray and dialysis to MAU and fracture clinic) of the hospital over 7 days. Great experience!

It is entirely possible to get shadowing experience without knowing somebody, you just have to be incredibly persistent and somewhat annoying :smile:

Thank you, that does sound great! If you don't mind me asking, what type of volunteer work did you do? Glad to hear all that persistence paid off
Reply 9
Original post by person online
Thank you, that does sound great! If you don't mind me asking, what type of volunteer work did you do? Glad to hear all that persistence paid off

I served tea and coffee on a ward at my local hospital for 3-4 hours on a Sunday morning-lunchtime.

Now I've been a HCA for over a year :biggrin:
Original post by Marathi
I served tea and coffee on a ward at my local hospital for 3-4 hours on a Sunday morning-lunchtime.

Now I've been a HCA for over a year :biggrin:

Glad it all worked out for you :smile:
I've been trying to get a job as a hca, this sounds like a good start, thank you for all your help
Reply 11
Email all your nearby GP surgeries and follow them up with a phone call a week later if they don't respond to your email.Also try Hillingdon Hospital(if it is nearby for you), they have their own work experience directory.
Reply 12
Original post by saran23
Email all your nearby GP surgeries and follow them up with a phone call a week later if they don't respond to your email.Also try Hillingdon Hospital(if it is nearby for you), they have their own work experience directory.

This would be my recommendation as well. If you email every surgery within a 30min drive of your house, the odds are decent someone may be able to organise something for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained
Original post by saran23

Thank you for your reply, I will do that.
It is far but I'm okay with travelling a reasonable distance, thanks for letiting me know, I'll give it a shot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending