The Student Room Group

The Prime Minister is running scared of a general election - PETITION!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredOrJohn
pigs fly - one minute you say "chaos" the next minute you say "walkover"....
You obviously do not know what is going on down here in London. Could be a 100% loss of all Conservative seats in London and in the South (especially surrey and berks - old Conservative holds).

I never said there would be chaos, but markets never like elections

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FredOrJohn
If you look at the petition map via constituencies loads of Tory seats could be lost to Lib Dem pro-REMAIN. In such an outcome, its very possible that REMAIN would be able to stop Clause 50.

Its not rocket science. If either Labour or Tory won, it would not matter, what would matter is how many seats the Lib Dems could win. I'll warrant it will be enough.

:lol:

I've got a better chance of forming a Government than they do.
Original post by sr90
:lol:

I've got a better chance of forming a Government than they do.

Well your site poll here has neither Labour or Conservatives able to form a government without Lib Dem support (see election poll thread). BREXIT is the current issue (next five years and beyond). This could be huge for the Lib-Dems. The ONLY major UK party to be TOTALLY for REMAIN..
Reply 63
Over 23,000 now.
Why would Labour push for a GE when they know they will be humiliated at this point in time?
Original post by Apocrypha
Why would Labour push for a GE when they know they will be humiliated at this point in time?

To attack May for not being put into no. 10 via general election, which is why May should call their bluff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Oh dear the OP does not understand that Labour would be wiped out if there was a general election!
Reply 67
Original post by Karosan
Oh dear the OP does not understand that Labour would be wiped out if there was a general election!

Who says the OP is concerned about Labour?
Reply 68
Original post by jneill
Who says the OP is concerned about Labour?

I guess you are not a Labour supporter... ahahaha!
Reply 69
A politician with no principles? Colour me surprised
There wouldn't be much point of an election. The Labour party are a complete shambles at the moment. I'm no Conservative voter usually, however Theresa May looks like a strong government we need. We need someone who doesn't mind if she upsets people, I want her to be ruthless. This country can't carry on as it is, the public sector (expect essential services such as NHS) is too big - thats the harsh truth.Could you imagine the disaster is Jeremy Corbyn went into number 10 yesterday! He can't even find enough people to fill hes front bench, you know things are desperate when you put Diane Abbott on the frontbench. Before you all ask, I don't think much of Angela Eagle either. Labour are stuffed in their current state.Remember when you vote, you elect your local MP.
Reply 71
Original post by ben.anderson
There wouldn't be much point of an election. The Labour party are a complete shambles at the moment. I'm no Conservative voter usually, however Theresa May looks like a strong government we need. We need someone who doesn't mind if she upsets people, I want her to be ruthless. This country can't carry on as it is, the public sector (expect essential services such as NHS) is too big - thats the harsh truth.Could you imagine the disaster is Jeremy Corbyn went into number 10 yesterday! He can't even find enough people to fill hes front bench, you know things are desperate when you put Diane Abbott on the frontbench. Before you all ask, I don't think much of Angela Eagle either. Labour are stuffed in their current state.Remember when you vote, you elect your local MP.

Exactly the demands for a second ref just show how deluded some Labour supporters are, they actually think they would win? They are in chaos and if they went into a general election 1/3 of their voters would leave either going to the Lib dems or UKIP.
Original post by Jammy Duel
To attack May for not being put into no. 10 via general election, which is why May should call their bluff

Posted from TSR Mobile

And they evidently don't mind causing another blip in the economy in order to do so....
Original post by KimKallstrom
And they evidently don't mind causing another blip in the economy in order to do so....

They don't expect the bluff to be called, and it's hardly new for labour to do such things

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand the appetite for an election. A year ago a Conservative majority was elected on a manifesto which will continue to be followed. The new leader was part of the top Tory team which was elected. People seem to have this Americanised view on politics whereby they think the Prime Minister and the President are the same. We do not have a system of presidential primaries etc. Why is it not good enough that the constituency MP that we elect to make decisions on our behalf choses the person that heads up the government on our behalf? There's also the point that there would be no point. If you're a Tory, surely you're quite happy for a continued Conservative majority government for four years. If you're Labour, surely you recognise that Labour are in crisis and would be crushed in a snap election. If you're a UKIP supporter, surely you recognise that UKIP was a single issue party and now that Britain is leaving the EU, UKIP support will collapse and all those party rebels will return to their mainstream party or not vote at all. It just seems to me that a snap election would serve no purpose because the outcome would be the same, and because Theresa May already has a mandate in the manifesto that the party was elected on so an election would only extend the length of the Tories term in government.
Original post by jneill
Who said the above about Gordon Brown when he refused to call a GE after becoming Prime Minster?

Answer: Theresa May, 2007

At the same time she also “Yesterday in Prime Minister's questions his excuse for not calling an election was that only 26 people had signed a Downing street petition calling for one. I checked the website this morning and there are now 4,408 signatures and rising. Can the Leader of the House arrange for the Prime Minister to give us an update on the petition every week in Prime Minister's questions?” she added.

Well guess what... there's a new petition saying "A change in prime minister should trigger a general election."

You can sign it here:

So far it has over 23,000 signatures.
i.e. significantly higher than the petition she was waving at Gordon Brown.

100,000 could lead to a rather awkward debate for Mrs May...

What makes you think that Labour would do well in a GE? Or are you a Conservative hoping for a greater majority?The fact that Labour only has 1 Scottish MP as opposed to the 50 it had a few years back combined with the fact that large parts of the North-East of England and Wales abandoned the Labour party line in the referendum surely shows that the traditional Labour voters are a bit disillusioned at the moment. In addition, with UKIP's issue completed and them being leaderless would see a shift back to the Conservatives.

Futhermore, there's no way the government will accept a GE until the boundary changes come through in 2017 which reflect the changing nature of the British population.
Combining this with the leadership debacle as well as a possible resurgence of the Lib Dems and it seems as if there's a perfect storm against Labour at the moment.What makes you think you would do well in a GE at the moment? Is Corbyn backing another referendum vote that would capture the 'Remainer' ticket?

SS
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Supersaps
What makes you think that Labour would do well in a GE? Or are you a Conservative hoping for a greater majority?

I refer the Hon. Member to my earlier reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by political
I don't understand the appetite for an election. A year ago a Conservative majority was elected on a manifesto which will continue to be followed. The new leader was part of the top Tory team which was elected. People seem to have this Americanised view on politics whereby they think the Prime Minister and the President are the same. We do not have a system of presidential primaries etc. Why is it not good enough that the constituency MP that we elect to make decisions on our behalf choses the person that heads up the government on our behalf? There's also the point that there would be no point. If you're a Tory, surely you're quite happy for a continued Conservative majority government for four years. If you're Labour, surely you recognise that Labour are in crisis and would be crushed in a snap election. If you're a UKIP supporter, surely you recognise that UKIP was a single issue party and now that Britain is leaving the EU, UKIP support will collapse and all those party rebels will return to their mainstream party or not vote at all. It just seems to me that a snap election would serve no purpose because the outcome would be the same, and because Theresa May already has a mandate in the manifesto that the party was elected on so an election would only extend the length of the Tories term in government.

I'd imagine it's mostly just sore Remainers who want to try punish the Government for the referendum result in any way they can and live in hope of an alternative Government being elected to call off the triggering of Article 50. But you're right, it would make absolutely no sense to call a general election so soon, considering that the Conservatives were elected last year with the referendum as part of their manifesto. They're only whining because the Leave vote was the 'wrong' answer.
Original post by KimKallstrom

A blip with such a certain outcome? :s-smilie:
Original post by jneill
I refer the Hon. Member to my earlier reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I apologise, I might be being a bit dense here but I haven't been able to find it after reading through the thread, hence my posting.

Do you think you could link me to the post or do a brief summary of the reasons Labour would win a GE with particular reference to the Scottish, NE and Welsh communities?

SS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending