The Student Room Group

Your favourite art medium?

What sort of artist are you? Do you love the realism of photography, the abstract strokes of watercolour, or messy charcoal?

Share your favourite art medium here! :awesome:

Mine has to be pencil sketches :h:

Scroll to see replies

To use it's probably pens and pencils

To look at it's oil paints - they look so detailed and realistic, I really appreciate the skill that went into creating something like that.

This is probably my favourite oil painting:

Spoiler

Original post by Fox Corner
To use it's probably pens and pencils

To look at it's oil paints - they look so detailed and realistic, I really appreciate the skill that went into creating something like that.

This is probably my favourite oil painting:

Spoiler

I want to get some practice of oil painting over summer :tongue:

That painting is so creepy though :lol:
A careless word may kindle strife;
A cruel word may wreck a life.
A bitter word may hate instill;
A brutal word may smite and kill.

A gracious word may smooth the way;
A joyous word may light the day.
A timely word may lessen stress;
A loving word may heal and bless.

-Unknown

Spoiler

Original post by SummerStrawberry
A careless word may kindle strife;
A cruel word may wreck a life.
A bitter word may hate instill;
A brutal word may smite and kill.

A gracious word may smooth the way;
A joyous word may light the day.
A timely word may lessen stress;
A loving word may heal and bless.

-Unknown

Spoiler

That palette knife painting is by Leonid Afremov right? I did stuff by him for my GCSE art exam, I loved it :love:
I used to be a big fan of plain old pencil and paper but I'm experimenting a lot more with watercolour and ink now. I'm still always going to be attached to my digital art though, mostly just because it requires the least commitment!

(shameless digital art 'site' plug)
Reply 6
Not an artist but I love oil paints- they're just soo smooth
Oils and bios.
Original post by Gingerbread101
That palette knife painting is by Leonid Afremov right? I did stuff by him for my GCSE art exam, I loved it :love:

I'm not entirely sure. A Google reverse image search - and a search for "Leonid Afremov" - returns many images which look very similar but not exactly the same. This one, for example, has slightly thinner tree trunks, and no arm-rest on the bench. Afremov has done many, many paintings, so I wouldn't rule out it being one of his. That said, however, there are no signatures nor identifying marks of any kind on the painting, so perhaps it was painted by another artist in the style of Leonid Afremov? Indeed, my (Google-based :colondollar:) research on him seems to suggest that he paints predominantly in oil rather than acrylic.
Original post by saladays
I used to be a big fan of plain old pencil and paper but I'm experimenting a lot more with watercolour and ink now. I'm still always going to be attached to my digital art though, mostly just because it requires the least commitment!

(shameless digital art 'site' plug)

Ink looks so cool :biggrin: what do you paint mainly?
My favourites were always pencils and pens :biggrin: haven't drawn for so long though :sad: I used to be obsessed!
Reply 11
My favourite to use is just pen and ink, with bright inks for colouring. My favourite to view is watercolour and I particularly love combinations of watercolour and inks - hopefully I can learn how to paint in watercolours someday!
Original post by Kimi_Q
My favourite to use is just pen and ink, with bright inks for colouring. My favourite to view is watercolour and I particularly love combinations of watercolour and inks - hopefully I can learn how to paint in watercolours someday!

Ink is rather like water colour in how you paint it I think, they appear to have a similar consistency
Reply 13
Fine line pens, brush pens, pencils, watercolour and ink since I find them to be the easiest to control and make cool artwork :tongue:
Digital heh
Original post by Gingerbread101
Ink looks so cool :biggrin: what do you paint mainly?

Mostly portraits, although lately I've been doing a lot of journaling so it's kind of a mix of things. Some nature here and there. Sometimes I'm just having fun mixing paints together! :smile: How about you?
Original post by saladays
Mostly portraits, although lately I've been doing a lot of journaling so it's kind of a mix of things. Some nature here and there. Sometimes I'm just having fun mixing paints together! :smile: How about you?

I like still life sketches and animals, I can't draw human faces to save my life :emo:
Reply 17
Has to be oil painting there is nothing better then seeing a thick paste of oil paint form into an image and the smoothness is incredible. Sketching probably comes a close second because the results are very immediate.
Original post by Mancini
Has to be oil painting there is nothing better then seeing a thick paste of oil paint form into an image and the smoothness is incredible. Sketching probably comes a close second because the results are very immediate.

Oil paint like that looks amazing :love:
Reply 19
Pencils and ink

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending