The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is worse: criticising someone for their religion or their race

Poll

Which is worse?

Which is worse? Criticizing someone for the religion they follow or the skin colour they are born with?

Scroll to see replies

Religion can be changed. Race can't.

So I'm going to say race.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Religion can be changed. Race can't.

So I'm going to be controversial and say religion.

It's worse to criticise religion because it can be changed?
Original post by KingBradly
It's worse to criticise religion because it can be changed?

Oh no I meant it's worse to criticise a race because unlike religion, can't be changed. Got muddled up :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Oh no I meant it's worse to criticise a race because unlike religion, can't be changed. Got muddled up :colondollar:

Yes completely agree. Also, if a person is very religious and dedicates his life to his religion, then we must assume that the religion tells us a lot about him. So if we find some things about his religion unpleasent, we have good reason to be suspicious about whether we will like him. Race on the other hand tells us nothing substantial about a person.
What do you mean? Criticising a person purely because of their race is wrong. Criticising a religion is fine but if you are doing it simply to undermine a person then that is wrong too.

Yes completely agree. Also, if a person is very religious and dedicates his life to his religion, then we must assume that the religion tells us a lot about him. So if we find some things about his religion unpleasent, we have good reason to be suspicious about whether we will like him. Race on the other hand tells us nothing substantial about a person.

I disagree. You shouldn't judge someone that quickly. Let's use Islam as an example. There are many questionable things written both in the hadiths and the Quran but some of the nicest people I have met and most of my close friends are Muslims (and they take their religion quite seriously). With religion, it really does depend on how people interpret it. Some take the words literally and turn into 'extremists' whilst others focus more on the pleasant parts and turn out to be great individuals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Religion is a choice. When someone chooses to follow a religion which teaches some of the things islam does, you have to wonder where their head's at.
Just to be a contrarian, how much choice does one really have over what they believe? Especially if someone is brought up in a religion from childhood and the belief has become ingrained, one can argue it isn't a choice per se. For example, if I asked you to believe that 2+2=5, could you really convince yourself to believe it? To what extent do we choose what we believe?
Race because it's not a choice.
'No religion is higher than humanity'- Abdul Sattar Edhi
Both are bad because both are quite ignorant stances.
You see, with most Abrahamaic religions, you can pretty much pick and choose whatever you want and still be called Muslim/Christian/Jew. In fact, for Christianity all you have to do is believe in Jesus, and for Islam all you have to do is give money to the poor and do a few silly rituals. The fact that a person is a Muslim, devout or not, tells you nothing about which parts of the Quran or the Hadith they follow. However, it does tell you one thing, whenever I see a nice Muslim, I can make the correct conclusion that they're either intellectually dishonest with themselves, cognitively dissonant, ignorant about Islam or just plain stupid, for if you're going to cherry pick the nice things then why the hell do you need to be a Muslim then? But then again I remember how strong indoctrination is when it comes to religion and it all kinda make sense.

There's no necessity to assume anything about anyone.
Race of course. Criticising a religion isn't even bad imo. As long as you don't do it harshly then it's all good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Legendary Quest
What do you mean? Criticising a person purely because of their race is wrong. Criticising a religion is fine but if you are doing simply to undermine a person then that is wrong too.

I disagree. You shouldn't judge someone that quickly. Let's use Islam as an example. There are many questionable things written both in the hadiths and the Quran but some of the nicest people I have met and most of my close friends are Muslims (and they take their religion quite seriously). With religion, it really does depend on how people interpret it. Some take the words literally and turn into 'extremists' whilst others focus more on the pleasant parts and turn out to be great individuals.

Respect to you, what a legend. :smile:
Race.
You cant change how you look.
Thinking she

is better than

is way worse.
(edited 7 years ago)
I do think both of them are as bad as each other because you shouldn't criticise anyone for what they believe or who they are. :smile:
However, upon choosing out of the two I would say race, purely because a person chooses to follow a certain religion whether that is strictly or moderately, (depends on interpretation) but when a person is born, they do not decide whether they will be a certain race, that is natural.
Any kind of hate crime is utterly low.
Im not religious but I grew up around religious people and for me criticising religion is so much worse because to the religious its like insulting GOD. Also criticising religion is looking down on the way someone goes about their life and if you take it far enough to 'remove your burka' then its violating freedom of choice. Given religion spreads across more borders than race does, then its a higher breed for facism. Of course this is all unintelligent and unbacked ********, But its coming from my brain soooo
Reply 17
race, religion is a choice race isn't
If it was a forced choice, I'd pick race purely because of the suggestions other users have posted, that it is determined from birth, and religion isn't.

However, I believe they're as bad as eachother as criticising somebody for something as petty as religion or race just shows how much of an ******** you are, and how you're failing to look deeper into who that person is (i.e. you can get religious people like Abu Bakr al-Bagdadi who'll use their religion for bad, and then you can nice religious people like Nadiya Hussain who'll show there's good in every group).
Definitely race. Religion is set of beliefs that can be interpreted as good and bad or right and wrong by each different person. It's a 'choice' and can directly affect actions of people.

Race is just a label based on where you were born or who gave birth to you. There's absolutely no reason to need to criticise someone for their race. Whereas religions can be (constructively) examined, discussed and criticised if appropriate.

Latest

Trending

Trending