The Student Room Group

What's the most interesting thing you have learned this year in maths?

Scroll to see replies

Looking into quarternions
Reply 81
5 Pirates Problem

5 pirates of different ages have a treasure of 100 gold coins. On their ship, they decide to split the coins using this scheme: The oldest pirate proposes how to share the coins, and ALL pirates (including the oldest) vote for or against it. If 50% or more of the pirates vote for it, then the coins will be shared that way. Otherwise, the pirate proposing the scheme will be thrown overboard, and the process is repeated with the pirates that remain.As pirates tend to be a bloodthirsty bunch, if a pirate would get the same number of coins if he voted for or against a proposal, he will vote against so that the pirate who proposed the plan will be thrown overboard.Assuming that all 5 pirates are intelligent, rational, greedy, and do not wish to die, (and are rather good at math for pirates) what will happen?

Solutions?

Spoiler

Reply 82
Original post by offhegoes
5 Pirates Problem

5 pirates of different ages have a treasure of 100 gold coins. On their ship, they decide to split the coins using this scheme: The oldest pirate proposes how to share the coins, and ALL pirates (including the oldest) vote for or against it. If 50% or more of the pirates vote for it, then the coins will be shared that way. Otherwise, the pirate proposing the scheme will be thrown overboard, and the process is repeated with the pirates that remain.As pirates tend to be a bloodthirsty bunch, if a pirate would get the same number of coins if he voted for or against a proposal, he will vote against so that the pirate who proposed the plan will be thrown overboard.Assuming that all 5 pirates are intelligent, rational, greedy, and do not wish to die, (and are rather good at math for pirates) what will happen?

Solutions?

Spoiler

I enjoy the intuition-busting nature of this one. I guess I'll do some explaining; it's late and I'm bored

Spoiler

Prepared a presentation for the Naviar Stokes equations. Part of it was a simple gas flow derivation that I'd found on that internet, and it was quite amazing to see simple physical variables be magically transformed into intuitive differential equations
The monkeys and coconuts problem
Reply 85
Are there too many people showing off in this thread?
Original post by M14B

If by showing off you mean answering the question then yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by M14B

I'm not sure if 'showing off' is the best way to describe it. It is maths after all. No-one is getting laid off the back of this thread.
Original post by Redcoats

Is that true for any x,y?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive never come across mod(a,b) notation. What does this mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Ive never come across mod(a,b) notation. What does this mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's called Tupper's Self Referential Formula (also called 'the everything formula')

Mod(a,b) is where a is the number for which you want to find the remainder and b is the divisor.

Check out this video on it - you'll be glad you did; what the formula can do is insane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s5RFgd59ao
It's called Tupper's Self Referential Formula (also called 'the everything formula')

Mod(a,b) is where a is the number for which you want to find the remainder and b is the divisor.

Check out this video on it - you'll be glad you did; what the formula can do is insane!

That the one they used to make the batman graph?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
That the one they used to make the batman graph?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it does way better than that!
No, it does way better than that!

Are you implying that anything in this world is greater than the dark knight?
(Like what?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
2+2=5
Calculating whether different stars can float in a a bathtub and also binomial expansion.

Its writte a Z_b or a (mod b) didn't know skme people write it like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest