The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marioman
I did the EMPA.

Thought that Task 2 (interrupted pendulum) and the written part were OK, although question 2 in the written paper (the mass-spring system) was a bit weird.

Task 1 (electric field, capacitor discharge) I thought was one of the hardest they have set. So about average boundaries overall?

Thanks! Do you think 36/55 would be enough for, say, a B then?
Original post by tanyapotter
Thanks! Do you think 36/55 would be enough for, say, a B then?

Easily. That will be around an A given recent boundaries.
Easily. That will be around an A given recent boundaries.

That's reassuring. I need to scrape a B this year if I want an A overall, and the more I look at the unofficial mark scheme, the more unsure I get that I've done enough. It's driving me insane!!
Reply 2163
Agh samee, every time I look at it feel like ive done worse. Do you have any ideas to what the grade boundaries will be for part A?
Original post by boyyo
Agh samee, every time I look at it feel like ive done worse. Do you have any ideas to what the grade boundaries will be for part A?

The MC grade boundaries will probably drop by 1.
Original post by kingaaran
The MC grade boundaries will probably drop by 1.

Do you think the grade boundaries for the Unit 4 paper as a whole will be similar to June 2014's (the highest so far) or will it be even higher, in your opinion?
June 2014 had standard boundaries for A, B, C, etc., it was only the A* boundary that got bumped up. The reason for that was mainly because that year's Unit 5 had extremely low boundaries (46/75 for an A and 52/75 for an A*) and keeping the A* at the usual point for Unit 4 would have resulted in way more people getting an A* than usual. Doubt that will happen again this year because Unit 5 was fine.
June 2014 had standard boundaries for A, B, C, etc., it was only the A* boundary that got bumped up. The reason for that was mainly because that year's Unit 5 had extremely low boundaries (46/75 for an A and 52/75 for an A*) and keeping the A* at the usual point for Unit 4 would have resulted in way more people getting an A* than usual. Doubt that will happen again this year because Unit 5 was fine.

Would you say it's sensible to assume that unit 5 boundaries will be similar to June 2015, and unit 4 boundaries will be similar to June 2014?
Would you say it's sensible to assume that unit 5 boundaries will be similar to June 2015, and unit 4 boundaries will be similar to June 2014?

Yes, but I think the A* boundary will be lower for this Unit 4 than in June 2014.
Do you think the grade boundaries for the Unit 4 paper as a whole will be similar to June 2014's (the highest so far) or will it be even higher, in your opinion?

No it won't be similar to June 2014. It wasn't that easy. I think it'll be around 60 for an A*.*
Reply 2170
No it won't be similar to June 2014. It wasn't that easy. I think it'll be around 60 for an A*.*

Do you think it'll be the same for the A?
Original post by boyyo
Do you think it'll be the same for the A?

No, it'll be whatever usually is the case when the A* boundary is 60, I reckon
Anyone have any idea what the ISA boundaries will be like?

Does this sound about right for PHYA4?

120 UMS = 65/75
108 UMS = 60/75
A = 55/75
Original post by Cadherin
Anyone have any idea what the ISA boundaries will be like?

Does this sound about right for PHYA4?

120 UMS = 65/75
108 UMS = 60/75
A = 55/75

That gap between grades will be about 2 marks bigger, I think. More like:*

Full - 67/75
A* - 60/75
A - 53/75
That gap between grades will be about 2 marks bigger, I think. More like:*

Full - 67/75
A* - 60/75
A - 53/75

Oh really? Might be tight for full for me then, I lost 3 on the McQ. Gives me 5 to drop on the paper itself :eek:
Original post by Euclidean
Oh really? Might be tight for full for me then, I lost 3 on the McQ. Gives me 5 to drop on the paper itself :eek:

Haha - that's the trouble with papers we find easier than usual :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha - that's the trouble with papers we find easier than usual :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Praying I don't miss the * in Physics, I'll be a bit upset :frown:
Original post by Euclidean
Praying I don't miss the * in Physics, I'll be a bit upset :frown:

Hopefully you don't! I wasn't very confident after Unit 4, just because I didn't find it as easy as everyone else claimed. But after Unit 5, I feel slightly more confident*
Hopefully you don't! I wasn't very confident after Unit 4, just because I didn't find it as easy as everyone else claimed. But after Unit 5, I feel slightly more confident*

I should be in good stead for a solid Unit 4 (115+ hopefully) and ISA score, it's unit 5 which might drag me down a little. Anyway, probably not worth thinking about too much until August :tongue:

We'll be okay :smile:
Hi guys, I think I got 65/75 in unit 4 and about 65/75 in unit 5. Could you give me a rough estimate for the UMS marks please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending