The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff Biomedical Science (Neuroscience) with Preliminary year

Is anyone else planning on starting this course in september 2016? anyone else doing a science foundation year here at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lylarowe
Is anyone else planning on starting this course in september 2016? anyone else doing a science foundation year here at all?

Omg finally someone else! Yes hi, I'm also doing this course with a prelim and professional training year :cute:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Ahh it seemed like no one else was doing it phew. I wonder how many of us there are?
Reply 3
Original post by timilin
Omg finally someone else! Yes hi, I'm also doing this course with a prelim and professional training year :cute:

Did you do science a levels?
Reply 4
Did you do science a levels?

I did AS levels then dropped out to go college so I did BTEC, which is why I need the preliminary year. Wbu?
Reply 5
Ahh it seemed like no one else was doing it phew. I wonder how many of us there are?

Ikr, the amount of times I've tried searching through other threads to find someone doing the same as me haha
Reply 6
Original post by timilin
I did AS levels then dropped out to go college so I did BTEC, which is why I need the preliminary year. Wbu?

I haven't done science since GCSE 😁 Im sure im gonna be hopelessly behind everyone
Reply 7
I haven't done science since GCSE 😁 Im sure im gonna be hopelessly behind everyone

I did AS biology and psychology but TRUST me my knowledge of bio is gone 😳 I did 2 years of a BTEC course so I'll have so many gaps in my knowledge from what I learnt 2 years ago. At least we'll be hopelessly behind together 😂
Reply 8
Original post by timilin
I did AS biology and psychology but TRUST me my knowledge of bio is gone 😳 I did 2 years of a BTEC course so I'll have so many gaps in my knowledge from what I learnt 2 years ago. At least we'll be hopelessly behind together 😂

Where abouts are you from? I'm coming from London so im in for a culture shock im sure 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
From one capital city to another 😂I'm from the West Midlands, so it's gonna be all new to me too.Before I applied to Cardiff my heart was set on going to uni in London! But now I'm glad I'm going Cardiff

Where abouts are you from? I'm coming from London so im in for a culture shock im sure 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by timilin
From one capital city to another 😂I'm from the West Midlands, so it's gonna be all new to me too.Before I applied to Cardiff my heart was set on good g to uni in London! But now I'm glad I'm going Cardiff

Yeah I'm defo glad I picked it, everyone has such good things to say about the city so it's all good 😊 do you know anything about reading lists or books we need yet?
Reply 11
Yeah literally everyone has good things to say about it so hey I'm not complaining 💁🏽
Literally have no idea with the reading lists, I think they'll send something closer to the time to prepare us? Although sometimes in freshers you can buy other students textbook for waaay cheaper

What accommodation did you put for your 1st choice? I put Talybont South 🙏🏽
Reply 12
Hey I'm doing biomedical science too, not specifically neuroscience but we all have a common first year anyway. Do you know if there's a Facebook group/chat? :smile:
Reply 13
Sorry I'm not too sure, I haven't looked for one since I'm starting on the foundation year. If I do come across one I'll post the link!
Reply 14
hey there! I'm planning on changing onto this course!! Do you know anything about the timetables/contact hours/lab hours this course will involve? Or how we will be assessed throughout the year?
Reply 15
Hi! Neuro is 👌🏽 Are you doing prelim year also or straight onto first year? Also, what was your original course?

And tbh I'm not too sure of the timetable or hours yet, but I'm pretty sure it's a combo of coursework/ presentations, exams and lab work/ practical sessions for assessment
Reply 16
I will be doing the prelim year as I don't have alevel chemistry or maths! Do you know how many hours in the day this course will take up kinda thing? I will be switching from English, so complete u-turn where there are a lot less contact hours and more independent study. Thank you for your help so far!
Reply 17
No problem, you're welcome!
Yep definite change aha

I'm relived to find that there's at least a couple of people in the same boat as me in that we need preliminary year, at least I'm not a loner 👌🏽

Did you receive an email about the prelim course? I received an email today about module selection (we do that on the 21st I believe) and that the timetable will be given out at module enrolment.

The end of the email included a prelim year timetable outline for the modules (just a guidance one)
Reply 18
Spoke to the university today, I think there are 30 people on the prelim course, some from bioscience, some medicine. I haven't had the timetable outline but told we will have 6hours practical on a Friday and 2 hours labs on a Wednesday. The guy roughly said there'd be 12 hours study group sessions and 6-8 hrs lectures per week.
Hope that's helpful information to anyone!!
What was the sample time table like?
Reply 19
Original post by hhh1234
Spoke to the university today, I think there are 30 people on the prelim course, some from bioscience, some medicine. I haven't had the timetable outline but told we will have 6hours practical on a Friday and 2 hours labs on a Wednesday. The guy roughly said there'd be 12 hours study group sessions and 6-8 hrs lectures per week.
Hope that's helpful information to anyone!!
What was the sample time table like?

Oh that's great! I'm glad there's a bunch of people
That's really useful info, thanks for that 😊

The timetable is to long to explain, I wish I could upload a photo but each session is 50 mins
If you haven't had the email by now I would email them if I were you

What accommodation do you have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending