The Student Room Group

D1 or M1? Edexcel

I know this question has been asked many times before, but I couldnt find any that were fully related to my position.

I am an AS maths student and my school has given us the option to choose between D1 and M1. I sat C1, C2 and S1 this year, with C1 not going so well (even though I'd been scoring 90+ on all past papers) but C2 and S1 were a lot better.

I studied GCSE Physics (OCR Gateway, supposedly the hardest exam board) and managed to get an A*, but I didn't enjoy it at all, perhaps because I had to self teach most of it and never fully understood.

I've heard that Edexcel D1 is easy, but very easy to make silly mistakes on (which I am prone to) and most students only score average marks because of this. M1 is supposed to be a lot harder, particularly as I didnt do AS Physics, and students either score very high or very low marks.

I've also heard that studying M1 will help with the trig chapters in C3 and C4. But am I right in thinking that studying D1 will leave more time to perfect C3 and 4?

What can anyone tell me about time pressure in both exams?

I want to study economics at uni so neither will be particularly beneficial. Can universities see which modules you pick? In which case, is M1 more highly regarded?

The thing that throws me off about M1 is the fact that I may reach a question and have no idea what to do. Whereas in D1, all the questions are similar, but there is some time pressure and you can easily muck up whole questions due to the lack of method marks. However I am quite a logical person, and keep everything neat and tidy, so I have been told that D1 would be easier for me.

Which one should I pick? Any help is much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

It sounds like D1 would be better suited for you. However if you are a hard worker then I would recommend M1 because although it an be hard if you practise it a lot you can achieve very high ums due to the relatively low grade boundaries and the exams aren't very different from each other.
"C1 not going so well (even though I'd been scoring 90+ on all past papers)"

Edexcel C1 is out of 75...
Reply 3
Original post by 34908seikj
"C1 not going so well (even though I'd been scoring 90+ on all past papers)"

Edexcel C1 is out of 75...

I meant 90+ percent :smile:
M1 is 1000× easier, okay. It's literally force triangles and areas of shapes if you get a time graph. Oh and 5 suvats. I took both on further maths, and D1 was way harder, it's full of 1 and 2 markers in the exam. Just do M1, you won't regret it, life will be better if you choose M1. Trust me. M1 is easier than C2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I studied both of these alongside each other, and don't do Physics either.

I really enjoyed M1 a lot more than D1, generally because it was more interesting and I actually like Physics-y maths. D1 was rather boring, repetitive, and I struggled to finish the exam paper in the required time. It is pretty easy if you have a half decent memory, however.

For the vast majority of people D1 is an easier choice, but M1 isn't nearly as bad as everyone suggests. I found M1 easier, but that may be due to studying M2 alongside it.

No-one but yourself can accurately predict the best choice for you. Do you have access to both textbooks to see which you'd rather study?
Reply 6
I'd say M1 over D1
Reply 7
Original post by JLegion
I studied both of these alongside each other, and don't do Physics either.

I really enjoyed M1 a lot more than D1, generally because it was more interesting and I actually like Physics-y maths. D1 was rather boring, repetitive, and I struggled to finish the exam paper in the required time. It is pretty easy if you have a half decent memory, however.

For the vast majority of people D1 is an easier choice, but M1 isn't nearly as bad as everyone suggests. I found M1 easier, but that may be due to studying M2 alongside it.

No-one but yourself can accurately predict the best choice for you. Do you have access to both textbooks to see which you'd rather study?

Thank you for your help. I have looked at both textbooks, and D1 looks, well, I don't even know how to describe it other than "long". I'm not sure I would have the patience for all the drawings that you see in the book. M1 however looks more interesting, but it does bring back bad memories from GCSE Physics haha

What's the time pressure like in M1?
Original post by lexieeee
Thank you for your help. I have looked at both textbooks, and D1 looks, well, I don't even know how to describe it other than "long". I'm not sure I would have the patience for all the drawings that you see in the book. M1 however looks more interesting, but it does bring back bad memories from GCSE Physics haha

in any D1 exam the most difficult question you will face will almost certainly be 'what am i doing with my life' - the questions are just so mind numbingly dull. It's easy yes, but some of the stuff can take a long time to do and if you make any sort of mistakes you get absolutely crucified by the mark schemes. M1 if you are good at mechanics tends to be much less time pressured, as more of the questions involve thinking rather than mindlessly applying algorithms drawing annoying graphs etc etc.
Reply 9

D1 is long, sure, but the content is quick to get through as most of it is just repetition; it's also a nightmare to revise with all the drawing you have to do - in the exam though, they give you almost everything you have to draw.

For me, I finished M1 in about an hour. I'd consider myself a slow worker; though M2 helped significantly. With M1 there are only so many variations of questions they will ask you, and if you've done a lot of papers you'll recognise the majority of them.

If you aren't a natural physicist though, you may struggle to get the ball rolling. If you do pick M1, I'd recommend you start studying at the start of the year to ensure you get enough practice and grasp the concepts; it can be a very time-consuming module for some.

I'm sorry I can't be more decisive for you.
Reply 10
Original post by JLegion
D1 is long, sure, but the content is quick to get through as most of it is just repetition; it's also a nightmare to revise with all the drawing you have to do - in the exam though, they give you almost everything you have to draw.

For me, I finished M1 in about an hour. I'd consider myself a slow worker; though M2 helped significantly. With M1 there are only so many variations of questions they will ask you, and if you've done a lot of papers you'll recognise the majority of them.

If you aren't a natural physicist though, you may struggle to get the ball rolling. If you do pick M1, I'd recommend you start studying at the start of the year to ensure you get enough practice and grasp the concepts; it can be a very time-consuming module for some.

I'm sorry I can't be more decisive for you.

So for M1 if I do all the past papers, similar questions are likely to come up. Is this the same for the D1 exam? Are questions vaguely similar each year?
Reply 11
Original post by fefssdf
I'd say M1 over D1

Why?
Do M1. D1 is a tricky module
Reply 13
So for M1 if I do all the past papers, similar questions are likely to come up. Is this the same for the D1 exam? Are questions vaguely similar each year?

Every chapter in D1 is unique, and mostly you can do the chapters in any order. Of course for D1 the textbook prepares you for everything, but only so much of it will come up.

For example, Kruskal's and Prim's algorithm (two 'methods' to learn) are part of the syllabus, but (90% of the time) only one will come up. Scheduling diagrams and Gantt charts are part of the syllabus, but either only one or neither will come up. So I'd say the questions are probably less predictable than those in M1, as there's more it could cover.

For its predictability however, as previously said, M1 can be considered more difficult.
Definitely D1. You can teach yourself D1 in two days, give yourself the extra revision time for C3/4. If your mind doesn't click with M1, you'll end up getting low marks as Edexcel have a lot more scope to be abstract with M1 than D1.
Why?

cause its easier to get method marks but D1 you made a few mistakes and basically lose most of the marks
Original post by ChrisP97
Definitely D1. You can teach yourself D1 in two days, give yourself the extra revision time for C3/4. If your mind doesn't click with M1, you'll end up getting low marks as Edexcel have a lot more scope to be abstract with M1 than D1.

You cannot learn D1 in two days, there are far too many modules, and there are pretty much 3 new ones in M1, and so you get more marks for each part in M1. My D1 exam went like hell (I messed up a couple of questions) and you just lose so many marks so quickly in the exam. Whereas in M1 I could always take a minute and do most if not all the questions. It doesn't matter if you miss one question up in M1, as a single question probably won't cost you more than 15UMS as it's out of 9, whereas in D1 you can lose a lot more credit, because it's out of 6 questions.
How is M1 hard? All you do is make a triangle out of the forces if you get stuck, and you get it right, really not hard at all. Almost everyone in my regular maths class that didn't do M1 in Further Maths AS regretted choosing D1 over M1.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know this question has been asked many times before, but I couldnt find any that were fully related to my position.

I am an AS maths student and my school has given us the option to choose between D1 and M1. I sat C1, C2 and S1 this year, with C1 not going so well (even though I'd been scoring 90+ on all past papers) but C2 and S1 were a lot better.

I studied GCSE Physics (OCR Gateway, supposedly the hardest exam board) and managed to get an A*, but I didn't enjoy it at all, perhaps because I had to self teach most of it and never fully understood.

I've heard that Edexcel D1 is easy, but very easy to make silly mistakes on (which I am prone to) and most students only score average marks because of this. M1 is supposed to be a lot harder, particularly as I didnt do AS Physics, and students either score very high or very low marks.

I've also heard that studying M1 will help with the trig chapters in C3 and C4. But am I right in thinking that studying D1 will leave more time to perfect C3 and 4?

What can anyone tell me about time pressure in both exams?

I want to study economics at uni so neither will be particularly beneficial. Can universities see which modules you pick? In which case, is M1 more highly regarded?

The thing that throws me off about M1 is the fact that I may reach a question and have no idea what to do. Whereas in D1, all the questions are similar, but there is some time pressure and you can easily muck up whole questions due to the lack of method marks. However I am quite a logical person, and keep everything neat and tidy, so I have been told that D1 would be easier for me.

Which one should I pick? Any help is much appreciated.

D1 it's ****ing piss
Original post by samb1234
in any D1 exam the most difficult question you will face will almost certainly be 'what am i doing with my life' - the questions are just so mind numbingly dull. It's easy yes, but some of the stuff can take a long time to do and if you make any sort of mistakes you get absolutely crucified by the mark schemes. M1 if you are good at mechanics tends to be much less time pressured, as more of the questions involve thinking rather than mindlessly applying algorithms drawing annoying graphs etc etc.

Aw, I found D1 to be fun :u: The questions were more interesting than those in S1 and the core modules, and if you know the algorithms, it really isn't all that difficult. It's just when they ask weird abstract worded-answer questions that it's annoying.

That said, I did OCR, not Edexcel, so my experience won't properly relate :colondollar:
Having done both, D1. D1 is way easier.

Quick Reply

Latest