The Student Room Group

What languages can you speak in and what languages can you think in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Arabic is my third language my speaking is ok. Not even that great. So if my speaking isn't 100% and i have to force dem words out :tongue: How do you expect me to think in the language.

But whatever you can say outloud, you can say in your mind.

So either you can't speak arabic or you can think in arabic.
Original post by fg45344
But whatever you can say outloud, you can say in your mind.

So either you can't speak arabic or you can think in arabic.

Fair point :smile:
Reply 102
Think and speak - English and Tigrinya (ትግርኛ)
Forgot how to write the language though, stopped learning when I was around seven.
I have tried to speak and think in French but the best I can do is listen to French pop music and change my iPhone language to French. J'ai cherché by Amir and Tu vas me manquer by Maître Gims gets annoying if you loop it enough times.
I speak 3 languages and horribly enough I think in all 3 of them and it's all jumbled up borrowing words or sentences from every language. Kinda awful especially when I'm arguing :unimpressed:
Reply 104
Original post by HanaKimi
I speak 3 languages and horribly enough I think in all 3 of them and it's all jumbled up borrowing words or sentences from every language. Kinda awful especially when I'm arguing :unimpressed:

Which languages? What age did you learn them?
Reply 105
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Somali- Think and Speak
English-Think and Speak
Arabic- Speak *i cannot think in arabic :redface:

What age did you learn Somali and English?
Original post by fg45344
Which languages? What age did you learn them?

Somali, Arabic and English. I learnt Somali and Arabic simultaneously as a child but English during my mid to late teens.
Reply 107
Somali, Arabic and English. I learnt Somali and Arabic simultaneously as a child but English during my mid to late teens.

So which is your strongest language? Which language do you prefer to think in?
Original post by fg45344
So which is your strongest language? Which language do you prefer to think in?

I think English is my strongest but I don't have a preference, it just happens that I think in all of them like I mentioned previously.

What about you?
Reply 109
I think English is my strongest but I don't have a preference, it just happens that I think in all of them like I mentioned previously.

What about you?

So like 1 sentence with 3 languages mixed in?

I'm just monolingual in English.
Original post by fg45344
So like 1 sentence with 3 languages mixed in?

I'm just monolingual in English.

Yes!

It's so frustrating and at time I feel like I'm actually not fluent in any one language.

Have you tried or do you want to learn a new language?
I really want to learn French.
Reply 111
Yes!

It's so frustrating and at time I feel like I'm actually not fluent in any one language.

Have you tried or do you want to learn a new language?
I really want to learn French.

I'm too old now, I wouldn't have the time or the energy for it...plus it won't stick.

I know bilinguals can mix their 2 languages, but trilinguals mixing all 3 must be amazing to witness!
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Ah right, thanks! So why did you decide to learn Japanese? Wow, I'd love a photographic memory, you're lucky :smile:

I've always wanted to learn many languages and I thought Japan was a beautiful country, and for me the photographic memory can be helpful, however for some reason it only works for some things which is unfortunate.
Original post by Actuvia
I've always wanted to learn many languages and I thought Japan was a beautiful country, and for me the photographic memory can be helpful, however for some reason it only works for some things which is unfortunate.

Yes I agree, it is a beautiful country! Ah right, so how did you first realise you have a photographic memory?
I know russian -100 % , romanian -95 % , turkish 30-45 and ofc english
I speak Georgian, English, Russian, French, Italian, Spanish and German. I think in Georgian, English, Russian, French, Italian and German. :P
English - native
French - full proficiency
Mandarin Chinese - beginner
Spanish - beginner

Can think and dream in English (ofc) and French

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending