The Student Room Group

Why is it so hard to find a job even when i have a job?

Hi all i work at marks and spencers i get paid 8 pounds 40 and hour rising to 9 pounds 60 next year april i work 6 days a week 45 hours. Ive been trying to find another part time job as i want some extra income, i got rejected from primeark which pays less like 7 pounds 20 something even though i have experience in retail im still getting rejected for wanting to get another job in retail really????!!!!
, ive just recently got rejected from a job in a restaurant shes asked me to come in for a trial shift which i cam for the pay is like 7 pounds 20 the next day she has just ignored me and posted the job advertisement again on gumtree
do you think its fair employers have the power to hire and reject whoever they like based on stupid reasons?
Have the employers actually given you any feedback about your applications/rejections? Maybe have someone help you with your CV/application and maybe even a mock interview. It may be that you aren't coming across well in person or on paper or both.
Original post by ednut

do you think its fair employers have the power to hire and reject whoever they like based on stupid reasons?

Yes, absolutely, because they own the business. If their reasons are truly stupid, then their business will surely fail, because every business relies on the skills and effectiveness of its employees.

The issue is far more likely that you don't have much idea about, or respect for, the hiring process, and that is coming across in your applications. Take it seriously, and think about the recruitment process and needs from the employer's perspective and you will come across as a much more mature and reliable candidate. With relevant experience on top of that attitude, you will become a competitive candidate.
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, absolutely, because they own the business. If their reasons are truly stupid, then their business will surely fail, because every business relies on the skills and effectiveness of its employees.

The issue is far more likely that you don't have much idea about, or respect for, the hiring process, and that is coming across in your applications. Take it seriously, and think about the recruitment process and needs from the employer's perspective and you will come across as a much more mature and reliable candidate. With relevant experience on top of that attitude, you will become a competitive candidate.

That's only true if the person hiring you owns the company, which might be relevant to his restaurant example. But the person who rejected him at Primark won't be the owner so stupid reasons, per say, shouldn't factor in the decision making.*
Original post by Mega0448
That's only true if the person hiring you owns the company, which might be relevant to his restaurant example. But the person who rejected him at Primark won't be the owner so stupid reasons, per say, shouldn't factor in the decision making.*

a. The person doing the hiring still needs to have the best interests of the company or even just their job in mind. You might just be a junior manager doing the hiring, but if you hire an idiot, you are making a problem for yourself in practical, professional and reputational terms. While hiring processes and rules tend to be centralised, the actual filtering, interviews and selection tend to be done by the team actually recruiting the individual.

b. 'Stupid reasons' remain the perspective of the applicant and not the employer
Reply 5
There seem to be a lot of people who are after retail jobs and, at least where I used to work, flexibility seems to be a major factor.. Working 45 hours a week over 6 days doesn't look good from a rota point of view. But then maybe my place was overly fussy, you needed basically 14/7 availability for a 20 hour contract. :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
your pay is pretty decent for a retail job so I wouldn't get too stressed about trying to get another job. It's probably just not a very busy time now to get jobs and you'd be better off applying in september . I wish you luck in finding work :biggrin:
Like another use said, flexibility is a huge factor. They need someone to fit there shifts or else you would literally be working 1 day a week max.
Not trying to be rude but it's not stupid reasons, you're just not suitable.

Are you actually trying with your applications? Or do you think because you work retail you got it covered and employers would be stupid not to hire you?

Never mind about how much pay it is, just because the pay is lower doesn't make you able to just swan in and scoop up the job.

You work 6 days per week, 45 hours...I don't know you but I doubt you'll be able to find ANYTHING around your current job. So your best bet is to try and get something that pays better.

Rather than working 200 days per week and killing yourself!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending