The Student Room Group

GCSE art marking question?

I'm concerned about my GCSE art grade as my teacher said that he was the one to mark our work. This wouldn't actually be a problem if I had a good teacher. The problem is my art teacher is very biased. He clearly has favourites in the class and he has helped a lot of people in the class who don't deserve help as they can't be bothered whereas people like me don't get any. When I say 'help' I mean he has done their work for them. Anyway I know his marking is way off because people who are worse than me get the same grade and people who are better than me get the same grade as me. I'm not really bothered about what I get in Art but I have put a lot of time and effort into it. I'm aiming for a B but for the whole year my teacher has refused to give me anything higher than a C. Why should my art teacher be allowed to mark a students work as he personally knows them, he might have some sort of grudge against them and downgrade them or something? What if I open my results in the summer and I get a C (which I'll be fine with) but other people in my class who don't even do their own work get higher than me? Who would I have to contact? I know some people for sure in my class who have done 1/4 of the work I have done and not even to a good standard are still managing to get a C. My art teachers gives everyone Cs as he doesn't seem to be bothered to mark it properly!!
Reply 1
It will be moderated by an external entity.
As far as I know, every art subject has the work firstly marked by the teacher but then the work is sent to moderation to the actual exam board. That's where you get your actual marks. Your teacher could give you a C but the actual examiner might give you a higher grade and that's the one you end up with
Reply 3
Original post by katherine9609
As far as I know, every art subject has the work firstly marked by the teacher but then the work is sent to moderation to the actual exam board. That's where you get your actual marks. Your teacher could give you a C but the actual examiner might give you a higher grade and that's the one you end up with

I was aware that this did happen but my teacher said that only parts of your work get sent off like my exam work but not coursework and then someone else's coursework gets sent but not exam...
Original post by Saffron76
I was aware that this did happen but my teacher said that only parts of your work get sent off like my exam work but not coursework and then someone else's coursework gets sent but not exam...

Art is mainly coursework based so of course that will be sent. All work that needed to be completed which counts towards the grade has to be sent to the exam board for moderation. The marks the teacher came up with are never official. They're only to tell you what they think + can act as a guide to the examiner

Quick Reply

Latest