The Student Room Group

How do I choose the best student account for me?

I'm starting to look into student accounts for uni and I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking out for. I think overdraft limits are important (?), but that's about all I know.

So any advice on what to look out for, what I'll need/will be useful, and particular accounts you guys have that you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
http://www.savethestudent.org/money/student-banking/student-bank-accounts.html
Try reading that.

Basically it depends on what you want from it.

If you plan to use overdraft then the one with higher overdraft may be better.

If you're not planning to use it then maybe the freebies will sway you. So if you travel by train a lot Santander will make it cheaper. If you won't be traveling, then HSBC gives £60 Amazon vouchers for signing up. Stuff like that.

Also look out for conditions, like having to pay in a certain amount each month to be able to use it. Or having to pay monthly fees.
Original post by ludd-sama
I'm starting to look into student accounts for uni and I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking out for. I think overdraft limits are important (?), but that's about all I know.

So any advice on what to look out for, what I'll need/will be useful, and particular accounts you guys have that you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Hello :smile:
I was in the same boat as you when I started university - I must admit, when I first started looking I was drawn to all the free perks e.g. railcard or NUS card and so on and so fourth. However, after a while, I picked a couple that had good overdraft limits and then started visiting the banks and having them explain how student accounts worked and what they thought would be best for me and so on and so fourth and in the end I ended up with Lloyds Bank!

Just do a bit of research, there is plenty out there on the internet!
Santander is generally considered the best, it's rare to see someone who got a brand new student account (rather than an upgrade with their previous bank) and it not be with Santander, those red cards are everywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending