The Student Room Group

Muslims of TSR- Your thoughts and opinions are wanted

Dear Muslim Community of TSR

Following the events of the Nice terror attack, I'm wondering how you all feel whenever you hear or see on the news about a terrorist attack happening somewhere in the world, especially, but not limited to, the western world. I know the vast majority of muslims (both on TSR and irl) are peaceful and wish to just get on with their lives without being stereotyped as a terrorist or ISIS nut.

If you are muslim and reading this please post below, I would very much appreciate it.

Just to make it clear I do not associate muslims with terrorism and I don't want this thread to turn into a hate debate. I just want honest thoughts and reactions

Have you ever experienced Islamophobia because of terrorist attacks happening personally? That is what I'm trying to get at here.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To be honest, I'd prefer Islam to not be dragged down into this. It's political, any motives in these attacks are all about geographical/economic control. Nothing more, nothing less.
Original post by AKC...
To be honest, I'd prefer Islam to not be dragged down into this. It's political, any motives in these attacks are all about geographical/economic control. Nothing more, nothing less.

Am I not allowed to ask a significant demographic of TSR a question?
Reply 3
Original post by AKC...

Here we go.
This is kind of a strange question. How would any decent person feel when hearing such news?
Just like any other person I am upset by it.

I find it strange that they mention terrorism in this, nowadays it seems as if any traumatic event as such have terrorist Muslims behind it.
Original post by BristolFresher15
This is kind of a strange question. How would any decent person feel when hearing such news?

I only ask following also the rise in hate crimes following Brexit, I imagine a lot of muslims must get stereotyped in a negative way whenever these kinds of tragedies happen. Denying it is pointless because we know islamophobia of this sort happens
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by undercxver
Just like any other person I am upset by it.

I find it strange that they mention terrorism in this, nowadays it seems as if any traumatic event as such have terrorist Muslims behind it.

I assume you mean the French authorities automatically categorising it as terrorism instead of a lone wolf rampage? Yes, I agree, we don't even know the suspects name and yet people have already decided that he's a muslim
Reply 8
What race is Islam?

I think the term you are looking for is islamaphobia.
The same way you or anyone else with half a heart would feel.
Original post by remiremi
What race is Islam?

I think the term you are looking for is islamaphobia.

I've corrected it now, thank you, that is what I should have said.
Original post by Fiduciam
The same way you or anyone else with half a heart would feel.

Are you a muslim?
I feel like this is just going to turn into a vicious cycle. With further hate crimes fueling further radicalization. Which I think will only get worse in the likely even that Donald Trump gains presidency.

I honestly think we're heading into dark times.
Reply 13
He was Tunisian. I don't think that his religion was Judaism or Shintoism.

The French president also clearly linked the attack with the situation is Syria.
Reply 14
I feel like this is just going to turn into a vicious cycle. With further hate crimes fueling further radicalization. Which I think will only get worse in the likely even that Donald Trump gains presidency.

Stop saying nonsense, these guys don't commit terrorist attacks because of "hate crimes".

It's a Catch-22 situation, honestly, people become more afraid of muslims and islam because of various reasons therefore are less accepting of muslims which feeds radicalisation which then leads to more atrocity. It needs to stop.

I don't think Trump will get in tbh, isn't Clinton in the lead?
Yes, idk why but I'm surprised you didn't know tbh :holmes:
Original post by Josb
He was Tunisian. I don't think that his religion was Judaism or Shintoism.

The French president also clearly linked the attack with the situation is Syria.

He was a french citizen also, which means he could have theoretically been born in France (source: Wikipedia)
Original post by Fiduciam
Yes, idk why but I'm surprised you didn't know tbh :holmes:

I honestly didn't know tbh, if you don't mind me asking, have you or anyone you know experienced islamophobia as a direct or indirect consequence of widely publicized terror attacks?
Reply 19
Yes, like the others before him.

Quick Reply