The Student Room Group

New terror attack france many dead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazarooni89
It's a rather unfortunate state of affairs when people think that, in order to demonstrate that an incident is one of terrorism, all you have to do is point out that the perpetrator is a Muslim, as though that settles the matter.

On the other hand, where it has been clearly established that violence and threats are being used in an attempt to achieve political aims (e.g. the recent killings of police officers in the US and the stabbing of a politician in the street in the UK), because the perpetrators are not of Muslim origin, we cannot go so far as to describe it as terrorism, even if it fits the definition.

It appears that "terrorism" has now just become a code word meaning "A Muslim did it, and that alone makes it worse than if anyone else did it".

He shouted "Allah Akbar" before killing people. So definitely a Muslim terror attack.
Original post by BaconandSauce
No it's not. It fits an known modus operandi.

The problem with that is that it creates a situation in which, as long as the perpetrator is Muslim, any use of violence will be described as terrorism, regardless of (whether we know) what the actual motivation was.
"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."

"Great results, can be achieved with small forces."

"So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak."

"You can be sure of succeeding in your attacks if you only attack places which are undefended."

-Sun Tzu-

It seems to me the French government failed again. The French leader knows nothing about the art of war? If so, he will fail again. And more innocent people will surely die.

1468571010145.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem with that is that it creates a situation in which, as long as the perpetrator is Muslim, any use of violence will be described as terrorism, regardless of (whether we know) what the actual motivation was.

Not true

a Muslim attacking person in the street would not be terrorism.

A muslim running down men women and children while shouting allah ackbar while armed would be considered as terrorism.

Do you agree this attack was a case of Islamic terrorism.
Original post by Trapz99
He shouted "Allah Akbar" before killing people. So definitely a Muslim terror attack.

How exactly does that make it a terrorist attack?

It confirms that the person is (most likely) a Muslim, sure. But how do you know that it is a Muslim terrorist attack, as opposed to just an attack committed by a Muslim?
Original post by skunkboy
"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."

"You can be sure of succeeding in your attacks if you only attack places which are undefended."

-Sun Tzu-

It seems to me the French government failed again. The French leader knows nothing about the art of war? If so, he will fail again. And more innocent people will surely die.

1468571010145.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

The failure is for the west to accept who is the enemy.
Original post by skunkboy

-Sun Tzu-

1468571010145.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
a Muslim attacking person in the street would not be terrorism.

A muslim running down men women and children while shouting allah ackbar while armed would be considered as terrorism.

That's not the definition of terrorism though.

The first scenario could quite easily be terrorism. For example, the killing of Lee Rigby was "a Muslim attacking a person in the street", and that certainly was terrorism.

The second scenario could quite easily not be terrorism. As an example, a person could potentially do that if they simply had a mental illness. Plenty of armed massacres of civilians in history have been the result of factors other than terrorism.

"Islamic" extremists like ISIS are the enemy, normal muslims like Sadiq Khan and Jamala are our friends.

It confirms that the person is (most likely) a Muslim, sure. But how do you know that it is a Muslim terrorist attack, as opposed to just an attack committed by a Muslim?

We know because he shouted "Allahu Akbar" as he was running people over and shooting them.

Are you a Muslim out of interest? Is that the root cause of your absurd denial of something which is obvious to everyone else?
That's not the definition of terrorism though.

The first scenario could quite easily be terrorism. For example, the killing of Lee Rigby was "a Muslim attacking a person in the street", and that certainly was terrorism.

The second scenario could quite easily not be terrorism. As an example, a person could potentially do that if they simply had a mental illness. Plenty of armed massacres of civilians in history have been the result of factors other than terrorism.

But you said any Muslim using violence

this is not the case

also you didn't answer my question.

But why are you trying to down play this?
Original post by Craig1998
"Islamic" extremists like ISIS are the enemy, normal muslims like Sadiq Khan and Jamala are our friends.

all are followers of the same ideology and all of them can change their interpretation.
all are followers of the same ideology and all of them can change their interpretation.

They can change their interpretation, but whether they are evil enough to have the desire to is another matter.
Original post by generallee
We know because he shouted "Allahu Akbar" as he was running people over and shooting them.

What does "Allahu Akbar" mean?
I was under the impression that all Muslims say this as a matter of course, terrorist or not.*

Are you a Muslim out of interest? Is that the root cause of your absurd denial of something which is obvious to everyone else?

I am not "denying" anything. I just want the logic to be clearly spelled out i.e. what exactly constitutes a terrorist attack (as opposed to any other kind of attack), and how do we know this was one?
Original post by Craig1998
They can change their interpretation, but whether they are evil enough to have the desire to is another matter.

and as we know anything can be a trigger and this is the problem as it results in us living on fear of causing offence should someone find allah and get stabby or now we see then same as we see the palestinians doing to the Israeli's using vehicles to cause mass slaughter.
What does "Allahu Akbar" mean?
I was under the impression that all Muslims say this as a matter of course, terrorist or not.*

I am not "denying" anything. I just want the logic to be clearly spelled out i.e. what exactly constitutes a terrorist attack (as opposed to any other kind of attack), and how do we know this was one?

I see you ask a lot of questions but don't answer them
But you said any Muslim using violence

this is not the case

So then can you spell it out clearly and unambiguously to me, what kind of violence is terrorism and what kind of violence is not terrorism?*

also you didn't answer my question.

Your question was: "Do you agree this attack was a case of Islamic terrorism."

So far, the only evidence I've been given indicates that the man was most likely to be a Muslim (i.e. of part Tunisian nationality, and using the phrase "Allahu Akbar", which is typical of Muslims).

So I agree that this attack was done by a Muslim. I'm now just waiting to hear specifically what about it makes it a Muslim terrorist attack, as opposed to any other kind of attack committed by a Muslim.

I thought this was already implicitly clear from my previous post, but perhaps not.
But why are you trying to down play this?

I'm not downplaying it, I'm just asking questions about what you think constitutes terrorism.
(edited 7 years ago)
I see you ask a lot of questions but don't answer them

I've answered your question.

I agree that the person was Muslim. But since you've said that Muslims can commit both terrorist and non-terrorist attacks, I'm waiting to hear the explanation as to why this has been classified as a terrorist attack.

(i.e. what is the political agenda behind it?)*
(edited 7 years ago)
I've answered your question.*

Answer his then

It would be a terrorist attack if it was intended to (a) make ordinary people afraid of going about their normal lives, (b) disrupt normal business and events and (c) is part of an overall policy to carry out that disruption.

In this instance we await evidence that the perpetrator was inspired by the views and actions of a terrorist organisation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending