The Student Room Group

Results day horror stories

Mine isn't too bad considering my results went how I wanted them to, but I had to go to work literally like one hour after I got my results. I fear to think how I would have been to the customers if I hadn't got into Uni...

Customer: Do you have any tom-
Me: NO :angry: *destroys the shop*

Do you have any horror stories that occurred on the day?

Scroll to see replies

No horror stories as such! At AS though it turned out that I'd got an E in one of the units for my best subject. I got an A overall at A2 so it didn't make much difference, but that E still haunts me whenever I look at my results sheet :lol:
Reply 2
I got told that I would have to work because it was an inspection day... I nearly cried as I'd booked the day off months in advance. Thankfully another manager had a son in the same situation and said to our boss neither of us two could work as we might be on the phone to UCAS all day :P
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
No horror stories as such! At AS though it turned out that I'd got an E in one of the units for my best subject. I got an A overall at A2 so it didn't make much difference, but that E still haunts me whenever I look at my results sheet :lol:

Oh wow, good job! I did something similar with my Geography A-Level. Dropped it at AS (because I got a D) for I.T and then dropped I.T to take back Geography (literally had to go beg to be taken back.)

Then I almost got an A overall for it because I absolutely smashed the exams :biggrin: I have never revised so hard for an exam!
Reply 4
Original post by anna__
I got told that I would have to work because it was an inspection day... I nearly cried as I'd booked the day off months in advance. Thankfully another manager had a son in the same situation and said to our boss neither of us two could work as we might be on the phone to UCAS all day :P

That's a happy ending! Glad to see there is some sense in the world :wink:
I got ABDD in AS (D in Religious Studies- a subject I got an A for in the mock!) I spent the whole day wondering WTF happened in that exam and just felt so teared down. I didn't have to do anything e.g. go to work, but I'd rather be doing something than sitting there.

As for A2, I wake up and think about all the questions I got wrong. I'm so worried about results day- LITERALLY I am full of fear.
I was thinking how the hell I did so terribly in 2 of my exams :frown:
Original post by PugDevil
Oh wow, good job! I did something similar with my Geography A-Level. Dropped it at AS (because I got a D) for I.T and then dropped I.T to take back Geography (literally had to go beg to be taken back.)

Then I almost got an A overall for it because I absolutely smashed the exams :biggrin: I have never revised so hard for an exam!

Haha thanks! I found Geography A Level really difficult too, I got a low C at AS! I somehow got a B overall at A2, but I honestly expected a D! I was going to drop ICT at AS because I hated it, but then decided to keep it and almost got an A in it at A2!
Reply 8
Nice to see the TSR staff coming up with niCE POSITIVE THREADS FOR RESULTS DAY TO CALM THE WORRIES OF STUDENTS

:wink:
Original post by Inexorably
Nice to see the TSR staff coming up with niCE POSITIVE THREADS FOR RESULTS DAY TO CALM THE WORRIES OF STUDENTS

I think it may be an attempt for people to think 'oh well, my results day can't be much worse than X's was!' :tongue:
Not that much of a horror story

My school is slightly strange in that we have to work out our grades by adding up our UMS for modules. Anyways, AS results day last year - I added up all of my module scores for chemistry and it added up to about 135 (out of 300) UMS. I immediately started bawling my eyes out and blubbering about how I'd never get into med school with a D/E in chemistry. While I stood there and cried, a friend of mine redid my calculation and it turned out that I'd added them up wrong and had actually got an A in chemistry. Was so embarrasing for me as pretty much the entire year had seen me bawling :lol:
Reply 11
Original post by Inexorably

Yeah... sorry about that :colondollar:

Original post by CatusStarbright
I think it may be an attempt for people to think 'oh well, my results day can't be much worse than X's was!' :tongue:

That's exactly it :tongue:

Original post by loveleest
I was thinking how the hell I did so terribly in 2 of my exams :frown:

Oh man :frown: Now I feel bad! I felt like that at GCSEs for my French exam, managed to get an E! :redface:
It's not exactly a horror story, but last year I went into GCSE results day hoping for and expecting to get a B in music. I was a little disappointed to find I had got a C and when I looked at the unit breakdown, I realised that I actually failed a unit, getting a D. I'm still a little bit annoyed about that, as I had not been given enough time by my teacher to complete the unit properly and had I got a C in it, I would have got my B overall. Damn.
I got BEE so missed my offer massively but I got offered a course change from my firm so not really a horror story.
Reply 14
Flopped pretty much my A2s, went from AABB to ACC

Was such a stressful day in clearing, however I got into a university and now I'm doing a PhD at a RG uni, so life works out somehow. You have to give it time!
Reply 15
Original post by PugDevil
Mine isn't too bad considering my results went how I wanted them to, but I had to go to work literally like one hour after I got my results. I fear to think how I would have been to the customers if I hadn't got into Uni...

Customer: Do you have any tom-
Me: NO :angry: *destroys the shop*

Do you have any horror stories that occurred on the day?

On my results day, something bad happened to me and I just remember sitting on the stairs, crying for like an hour, they actually brought a counselor/psychologist/whoever the **** it was to speak to me. I got the grades I wanted though. Still, SO EMBARRASSING.
No horror stories for me so far, but I've just woken up from a dream where I went to school on AS results day and they didn't have my grades at all. I kept crying and asking them to check the computers but the teachers didn't care, how stressful :colondollar:

Then the other day I had a dream where I was marking my biology paper and I kept getting stuff wrong because of my spelling :colonhash:
Why did I decide to click on this thread? :emo:
I did worse than expected at both GCSE and A level, I even cried in front of everyone on A level results day :rofl: on the plus side, AS went better than expected as have all of my uni results days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Why did I decide to click on this thread? :emo:

It's not as bad as you think, they always say....

hope for the best, prepare for the worst

I would say the system now is very good for people who didn't meet their grades. I mean you will find a university place and life will move on. Plus there are no set equations in life of if you get into oxbridge, you will be rich and successful. I've seen cases of people being driven into major depression at oxbridge because of the workload and the people around them. Sometimes you have to let go and let the world work around you.

I mean my life has been a rollercoaster, I've gone from 9A*s 1A at GCSE to ACC at A2. I know I am more than capable to do a PhD, but I had to work so hard to get to where I am now. But I didn't give up.

Now I'm doing a PhD at a RG university, in something I thought I never would study.....so stick in there lol.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest