The Student Room Group

GCSES

what is the minimum amount of subjects in gcses????
It depends on your school and how many they will timetable in for you. But most people take around 9-12 I think, some can take more.
Original post by HopelessMedic
It depends on your school and how many they will timetable in for you. But most people take around 9-12 I think, some can take more.
You can take more definitely.The minimum is 5 as that is what is required by unis at least.
Original post by sulaimanali
You can take more definitely.The minimum is 5 as that is what is required by unis at least.

I'm pretty sure that you need more than 5 GCSE;s to get into uni? Might be wrong but I thought uni's look at your best 9
I'm pretty sure that you need more than 5 GCSE;s to get into uni? Might be wrong but I thought uni's look at your best 9

Well, most sixth forms say you need at the bare minimum 5 A*-C grades to get back in. So, if you need that much to get back into sixth form, AFTER YOUR GCSEs, that's what you'll carry forward for uni. But, I think 5 GCSEs (Eng Lang, Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys are normally the requirements) are only taken in exceptional circumstances for the very few people.
In my school at least we had 7 that were compulsory, and then 4 options (but they could also be BTECs and other things)
Obviously you want to do as many as you think you can pass :smile:
Original post by sulaimanali
Well, most sixth forms say you need at the bare minimum 5 A*-C grades to get back in. So, if you need that much to get back into sixth form, AFTER YOUR GCSEs, that's what you'll carry forward for uni. But, I think 5 GCSEs (Eng Lang, Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys are normally the requirements) are only taken in exceptional circumstances for the very few people.

I think the 5A*- C is more about the grades you achieved and not the number of GCSE's you take if that makes sense. The vast majority of applicants will take more than 5 GCSE's and thus when applying to uni you will likely be at a disadvantage if you only took 5. But I guess it depends on the uni/your situation
I think the 5A*- C is more about the grades you achieved and not the number of GCSE's you take if that makes sense. The vast majority of applicants will take more than 5 GCSE's and thus when applying to uni you will likely be at a disadvantage if you only took 5. But I guess it depends on the uni/your situation
True. But there's people in my school that took 5 due to their special circumstances, but normally you take around 8-12.

Quick Reply

Latest