The Student Room Group

Dating cousin

I found out a person is dating their cousin. What are your opinions on dating cousins?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wallflower1
I found out a person is dating their cousin. What are your opinions on dating cousins?

Just a no. I think it's disgusting af.
Reply 2

It's fine as long as they don't have kids together.
Reply 3
Original post by junayd1998
Just a no. I think it's disgusting af.

Yeah I think it's disgusting as well, I just don't know how to tell him that what he's doing is really weird without hurting his feelings.
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.

I really hope it doesn't go that far:s-smilie:
Yeah I think it's disgusting as well, I just don't know how to tell him that what he's doing is really weird without hurting his feelings.

yh i know what you mean umm i guess just ask him if you can talk and tell him how you dont think its right and what you think about it.

I'm sure he will be inclined to hear what you have to say at least.

Turns out it's actually legal to marry your cousin. I wouldn't get involved with mine though, and we aren't even related.
Reply 7
Don't care; people can do what they like. The risk of genetic defect if there are children is less than one may expect; the effect of the parents being cousins is, if I recall correctly, similar to the effect of the mother being relatively old, and nobody says that 40 year old women having children is disgusting, for instance. If all you have against it is an intuitive discomfort with the notion, unsupported by any reasoned argument, then you really ought to reexamine your principles.
Original post by Ciel.

Original post by Platopus
Turns out it's actually legal to marry your cousin. I wouldn't get involved with mine though, and we aren't even related.

Biologically and lawfully fine. People often worry about kids coming out with severe disabilities but it's not actually as bad as it's socially made out to be.

If I remember correctly, an unrelated couple have a 2-3% chance of having a serious genetic problem, for cousins it's around 4-5% (which is not a huge risk if you consider everything else that can complicate a birth)

In some countries it's actually encouraged for cousins to marry and the royal family is probably the most inbred of them all.

Spoiler

Reply 9
[QUOTE=Platopus;66431518]Turns out it's actually legal to marry your cousin. I wouldn't get involved with mine though, and we aren't even related.

Whaaaaaat?!? The thing that makes the situation worst is that everyone in their family is dead close and they're very strict about dating so if they find out it will be so awkward :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Don't care; people can do what they like. The risk of genetic defect if there are children is less than one may expect; the effect of the parents being cousins is, if I recall correctly, similar to the effect of the mother being relatively old, and nobody says that 40 year old women having children is disgusting, for instance. If all you have against it is an intuitive discomfort with the notion, unsupported by any reasoned argument, then you really ought to reexamine your principles.

Yea, chances of serious genetic defects are still very small. The royal family has done OK.

that's fine let them, not much to do with you....
[QUOTE=13 1 20 8 42;66431624]Don't care; people can do what they like. The risk of genetic defect if there are children is less than one may expect; the effect of the parents being cousins is, if I recall correctly, similar to the effect of the mother being relatively old, and nobody says that 40 year old women having children is disgusting, for instance. If all you have against it is an intuitive discomfort with the notion, unsupported by any reasoned argument, then you really ought to reexamine your principles.

Yeah I guess I am uncomfortable with the situation because I've never seen it happen up close and I just couldn't imagine myself having a relationship with my cousin because we're more like siblings and I could never go out with one of my siblings. Thanks for your input :h:
[QUOTE=bigdonger;66431790]that's fine let them, not much to do with you....

He's actually my best friend and I just wanted to get more information about it because i wasn't sure if it was legal and I didn't want them to get in trouble
He's actually my best friend and I just wanted to get more information about it because i wasn't sure if it was legal and I didn't want them to get in trouble

Ah i see.
Also what's up with your quoting btw xD

in any case, anything's legal as long as the law doesn't find out
I think it's is not good dating cousins
Original post by bigdonger
...anything's legal as long as the law doesn't find out

Best advice to give our younger peers there, Mr Donger :laugh:
Original post by rubybrown1234
Best advice to give our younger peers there, Mr Donger :laugh:

haha i shouldn't have said that, i should not have said that xD
Original post by bigdonger
haha i shouldn't have said that, i should not have said that xD

Harry potter reference made my day!

Capture.JPG
Reply 19
Original post by rubybrown1234
Biologically and lawfully fine. People often worry about kids coming out with severe disabilities but it's not actually as bad as it's socially made out to be.

If I remember correctly, an unrelated couple have a 2-3% chance of having a serious genetic problem, for cousins it's around 4-5% (which is not a huge risk if you consider everything else that can complicate a birth)

In some countries it's actually encouraged for cousins to marry and the royal family is probably the most inbred of them all.

Spoiler

Oh, ok that's totally fine then.

Quick Reply

Latest