The Student Room Group

Barts and the London- 2017 Entry Applicants for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

are degrees validated by Barts, SMD QMUL or by QMUL, Univ of L
(edited 7 years ago)
Back in my day we applied to BL because it's an amazing establishment that has done well over the years even though it got lumped with QMUL, not because of strategic number-crunching on UCAS.
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi everyone,

Just a heads up that you can get involved in our 'ask a student' Q&A thread. You can ask me about any aspect of the medicine course and what it's like living in London.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4026213&highlight=QMUL#primary_content

Barts love,
Will

Do Barts make any offers higher than AAA? I am predicted A*A*A* but I can alternatively get predicted less- would this be an advantage in causing me to receive a lower offer Also do higher predictions mean I dont have to do that well on the UKCAT
When counting UCAS points can you include more than one music (practical) grade exam, or does only one count in your tariff?Please help
Original post by undercover65
When counting UCAS points can you include more than one music (practical) grade exam, or does only one count in your tariff?Please help

For 2017 UCAS tarrif points aren't used at Barts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chutiya

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thank you for replying. I had not realised that they were not using them anymore. I will have another look at the entry requirements.
Original post by Chutiya

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just taken another look at the entry requirements (for 2017) on their website:

"UCAS tariff is made up of a number of academic and non-academic qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to review the list of ‘tariffable’ qualifications and must ensure that all qualifications they have taken and/or are taking are listed on their UCAS application in order to be taken into consideration. As well as AS and A2 Levels, other examples of academic tariffable qualifications include the Cambridge Pre-U, the International Baccalaureate, the Irish Leaving Certificate, and the non-academic qualifications Extended Project, BTEC level 3, Music Examinations. We will calculate your tariff for all tariffable qualifications you list on your UCAS application including those that are not taken into consideration for meeting our minimum academic requirements e.g. An AS or A Level in General Studies or Critical Thinking."

Please help, where did you hear that they are not using UCAS points?
Wag1
GCSEs: 7As 3Bs
UKCAT: 2380 Band 1
AS: Idk yet
Predictions: Idk yet

Does anyone know how much they use SJT score when selecting who receives an offer after interview?
Original post by Chutiya
Do Barts make any offers higher than AAA? I am predicted A*A*A* but I can alternatively get predicted less- would this be an advantage in causing me to receive a lower offer Also do higher predictions mean I dont have to do that well on the UKCAT

The ukcat is very important at Barts, being predicted highly is unlikely to aid you because the offer is AAA, if you have high GCSEs that may work in your favour but ukcat is a must, good luck!
As graduate, you are assessed 50/50 based on UKCAT and academics (A level and Degree?). Is there information for how much points are awarded for us graduates?
Reply 30
Original post by Lightingspeed
As graduate, you are assessed 50/50 based on UKCAT and academics (A level and Degree?). Is there information for how much points are awarded for us graduates?

As long as you meet the A-levels requirements in Biology and Chemistry your academic score is formulated from only your degree qualifications (including any Master's and PhD qualifications).

According to their website: "we developed our own system where we assigned Academic Points for different graduate qualifications."

Annoyingly, they are not fully transparent about how this system works but it may be reasonable to assume that the following hierarchy of qualifications applies:

1st: PhD / post-doctoral qualifications
2nd: Masters
3rd: First Class Bachelors
4th: 2:1 Bachelors
Immediate Rejection: 2:2 in your first degree.
Reply 31
Hi! For the tarrif, do AS results count?
Reply 32
Hey
I am planning to apply for 2017 entry A100 Medicine at Barts.
My stats are:
- GCSEs: 8A*s, 2 Distinction*s and 2 As
- As level: A in maths (96 ums average); other subjects are under new linear specification
- A2 predictions: hopefully A*A*A* and A/A* in EPQ
- UKCAT: 670 average

Would you say this is enough to get an interview at Barts?

Thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by BeccaClewes
Hi! For the tarrif, do AS results count?

I think so... but I'm not sure how they're gonna manage it because not everyone is doing As exams due to the new linear specifications
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 21957
I think so... but I'm not sure how they're gonna manage it because not everyone is doing As exams due to the new linear specifications

No, only the dropped AS level has counted in previous years but this year it could be not even that one
Reply 35
Original post by manlike99
No, only the dropped AS level has counted in previous years but this year it could be not even that one

Ah I see... wait but most schools dont do As exams... and most will only do 3 A2s. So they just gonna use that ??
Hi! I'm keen on applying to the Barts for A100 Medicine 2017 entry.

My stats are:
SPM (equivalent to GCSE): 10A*
AS Level: 4As (95.5 average)
Predictions: 4A*
UKCAT: 753 average & Band 3

Do I stand a chance to get an interview at the Barts?
Does anyone know how they use the SJT score? Really worried that the Band 3 affect my chance of getting into the Barts :frown: and ya, I'm an international applicant!

Thank you in advance! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yongfai97
Hi! I'm keen on applying to the Barts for A100 Medicine 2017 entry.

My stats are:
SPM (equivalent to GCSE): 10A*
AS Level: 4As (95.5 average)
Predictions: 4A*
UKCAT: 753 average & Band 3

Do I stand a chance to get an interview at the Barts?
Does anyone know how they use the SJT score? Really worried that the Band 3 affect my chance of getting into the Barts :frown: and ya, I'm an international applicant!

Thank you in advance! :biggrin:

the ukcat scores are impressive!
Look up unis that dont look at SJ at all, you will be very likley to get an interview, have a good at bmat universities as well!
Original post by DCMed96
the ukcat scores are impressive!
Look up unis that dont look at SJ at all, you will be very likley to get an interview, have a good at bmat universities as well!

Thanks! I was thinking about applying to UCL or Imperial at first, but is worried that I won't be able to get a good BMAT score ~.~
Reply 39
Original post by yongfai97
Thanks! I was thinking about applying to UCL or Imperial at first, but is worried that I won't be able to get a good BMAT score ~.~

University of East Anglia (UEA) and St George's are two of the universities that didn't consider SJT last year. UEA state on their website that they will not be using SJT scores again this year. It may be worth emailing the St George's admissions team.

As your UKCAT average is very good you may decide that applying to a mixture of UKCAT med schools and BMAT med schools is a good way to cover yourself if you were to not get a good enough BMAT score.

Other than that, get a good personal statement prepared to complement your good grades and you should have a good shot at getting interviews.

Good luck,

Team YesMED

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending