The Student Room Group

Going to a restaurant by yourself as a teen?

Scroll to see replies

I went to Cafes alone in Year 13 (18) and Restaurants alone during my first year (19). It's fine, no one cares
Original post by jamesthehustler
I used to and admittedly I would choose a corner table and just spend £100 and leave some decent tips for the staff- some at the bar some for the waitress and some for the kitchen

Ah lll defo choose a corner table!
Thats nice of you! I bet they appreciated that!
Have you ever eaten alone in Lynn before? If so where? Or where do you reccomend?
I remember seeing a man eat on his own and the first thing I thought was that he's got balls. Then I focused on my food and friends lol
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well ive been judged my whole life and it would be nice not to for once!
Thats all.

Most people won't judge you, OP. Would you think any less of someone if you saw them eating alone? Would you even notice? But of the few who will, why does it matter? I know it's easier said than done, but you'll be much happier if you can accept that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you enjoy it, that's all that really matters.

I went to see The Hobbit on my own and I felt like a bit of a freak but it was okay. Shame the film was **** though.
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Take your mum with you, why not treat her to something too if you feel uncomfortable alone?

Tbh id rather go alone.
But that is an option!
Spin it to your advantage and be prepared to turn it in to a confrontation. I have often eaten alone in Asian restaurants in Hounslow (white male) and have been prepared to get physical if the other diners wanted to start having a go.
In a relatively formal place it would look slightly odd.

Many places are casual and have an almost cafe-like atmosphere. It would be no problem there.

Just do what you want. :wink:
just do it or get a takeaway

sorry to hear about your friend situation

anyway i'm 24 with no friends. wouldn't have dreamt of going to a restaurant as a teen but do it without thinking now. I'm so shameless I'll even drink alone in a restaurant but I'm no role model lol
Original post by Platopus
I'm 18 and I've been thinking of doing this recently. I don't think anyone would judge you. Hey, we can be friends! Bring along TSR on your phone and I'll be right there with ya :wink:

Excellent!!
Well theres only one way to find out tbh!
Sure thing!
Im up for that!
i would but like you, id feel weird about it but i wouldnt let it stop me
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I know what you mean. People here are quite nosey. Because I live in such a small town, a lot of people know each other. I don't know how, but a lot of the school kids know me too. I felt like people might look at me weird and wonder, but I go to Costa alone a lot now. It's nice to chill on my own with a drink and some lunch for a bit, and no one seems to really care. It's just a bit weird when I bump into people I know because then they think I'm lonely and want me to hang out with them, and I don't always want to.

Yup same here!
Well that shows your popularity!
Yeah i bet it is! Thats what id like to do too but i just feel like i cant!
Ah yeah well thats understandable!! But ideally they should leave you alone!
Ah lll defo choose a corner table!
Thats nice of you! I bet they appreciated that!
Have you ever eaten alone in Lynn before? If so where? Or where do you reccomend?

never in Lynn
down in kent though admittedly my tip giving was partly as I know a lot of the staff from when I worked there and they had it rough and to show off to the boss
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I've personally never been to a resturant by myself before but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. Everyone in the restaurant will probably be focused on themselves. Just go on your phone while you're eating so it looks like you're busy or something

No me neither but I'd like to (hence the thread!)
Well I'd hope so, but others seem to feel differentlyM
That's what I'd want to see tbh.
And yeah I would do!
Original post by Eternalflames
I went to Cafes alone in Year 13 (18) and Restaurants alone during my first year (19). It's fine, no one cares

Ah well you're a lot braver than me then!
Well I'm glad to hear that! That's a relief!
Reply 34
No me neither but I'd like to (hence the thread!)
Well I'd hope so, but others seem to feel differentlyM
That's what I'd want to see tbh.
And yeah I would do!

Its a bit weird to be honest. People mainly go to restaurants to have a good time and eat and you'll just be there on your own. Something casual like cafe would be fine but restaurants are really meant for more than one person
Original post by Mrs House
I remember seeing a man eat on his own and the first thing I thought was that he's got balls. Then I focused on my food and friends lol

Hmm well that'd be good then I suppose!
I wouldn't mind that!
Can't you just get a takeaway? I guess it depends what type of restaurant but to me this is a bit odd.But it's not a big deal. Do what you want to do.It's just I've always got weird looks by the waiters when I sat by myself when the other party went to the toilets. I think they assumed I must have got stood up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
Most people won't judge you, OP. Would you think any less of someone if you saw them eating alone? Would you even notice? But of the few who will, why does it matter? I know it's easier said than done, but you'll be much happier if you can accept that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you enjoy it, that's all that really matters.

I went to see The Hobbit on my own and I felt like a bit of a freak but it was okay. Shame the film was **** though.

I'd hope not!
Not at all, I'd feel a bit sorry for them if anything! Tbh probably not!
I don't know, I just care too much about what others think.
Indeed it is! But yeah that's also true! Ideally we shouldn't care what others think, as long as we enjoy it, that's all that matters!

Well done for going!!!!
Ah yeah that's not good, but at least you went!
Well if some young guys came in (or girls) theyd take the piss out of me and probably steal my food. So thats a problem tbh.

This is the thing about human imagination, it creates worries in us that don't exist in reality or haven't happened yet.
I don't think you're worried about them stealing your food etc it's more the pain that comes when people directly show hate to us, the best thing you can do is to remember to never take anything personally, look at all actions as a reflection of the actor, don't trace them back to yourself and then start judging yourself as 'I'm lonely and didn't go with people like normal teens that's why they hate me and I'm weird etc etc'
No it's because they have a rubbish life and low self worth that gets off putting others down, these hypothetical people were talking about XD
I often used to go to the cafe near my college on my own at lunch times. I used to feel as if everyone was judging me, thinking I had no friends and that i was a loser. After a few lunchtime visits I became more comfortable with myself. Pick a booth or a table near a corner, it's kind of awkward sitting in the middle of the resturant and looking around at everyone while you eat your food. If you feel a bit intimidated you can always pull out your phone and listen to some music or scroll through social media, however I would advise against this as it makes you look insecure in my opinion. Just enjoy your meal, and remember that people probably don't care that you're there alone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending