The Student Room Group

Muslims of TSR- Your thoughts and opinions are wanted

Scroll to see replies

you could make this thread after any of the hundreds of islamist attacks in recent times, all of which are driven by the same motivation. i suspect youd conclude the same- most muslims are decent people, but are the isalmic community doing enough to stop the islamist ideology in its tracks? look at tsr for example and isoc - compare amount of posts regarding anti extremism in islam to say, israel or usa, or other parts of the world where nation states are fighting islamist extremism. and who do you think the vocal support goes to form members of Isoc?
No, that's not why I said that, I just feel it doesn't help to underplay the current Islamist terror threat by using a false statistical paradigm any more than it does to overplay it. Clearly the main current terror threat is from IS, extreme Jihadis and young Muslims living in the West they have inspired to act on a freelance basis. We can't avoid that.

I do think that overall the threat is exaggerated - clearly this is not a war, as some would have us believe, it is an indigenous extremist terror threat. Our survival as countries is not at stake, theirs is, even if the survival of some individuals here is threatened. At least so far - if IS manage to obtain nukes or something, then obviously that would change.
Original post by celloel
Eye witnesses.
If you honestly try to pretend this is not a Islamic terrorist attack, despite the calls from ISIS to attack in that way previously, despite all the evidence - his familial background, even down to his name - then you are a fool.

People call it the 'religion of peace' after they tore apart their own countries, then move through the West doing the same with terrorist attacks. ********.

Can you post an article where they say that that isn't the Daily Mail or Express or some other right wing rag?

Stereotyping people on their name is ridiculous. We should judge people as individuals. Please explain to me what his familial background has to do with this? Just because he was a Tunisian? You know terrorism can be committed by any nationality, right?

Again, solid evidence linking him to ISIS or you have no argument.
I feel the same as every other normal human being feels, this is such a stupid question.

And yes, I was bullied beyond belief after 9/11 in school, had people throw rocks at my house etc. I'm just glad we decided to move to a nicer neighbourhood where people aren't so ignorant. It's not nice having that happen to you as a 7 year old.
Reply 64
Are ISIS not a significant political force? 300,000+ fighters, plenty more supporters and sympathisers, carving through territories like there's no tomorrow and butchering anybody that gets in their way. I'd suggest they definitely are a significant force.
It's very annoying rather than upsetting now that Islam is always considered with terrorism and these attacks - it's so frequent that as soon as something happens, Islam and terrorism is the first thought.
Original post by ATW1
Are ISIS not a significant political force? 300,000+ fighters, plenty more supporters and sympathisers, carving through territories like there's no tomorrow and butchering anybody that gets in their way. I'd suggest they definitely are a significant force.

ISIS is not representative of 1.6 billion muslims around the world, most of whom have no desire to kill anyone. Furthermore calling ISIS a 'state' is dubious. They don't have an official administrative territory or any kind of official positions in any countries political cabinet. Anyone who has even taken one statistic class knows that 300,000+ is not a representative sample.
I'm not in defense of white young males or nazis. I'm not acting like they're some sort of angels just because they're Caucasian. Being a Caucasian Muslim myself, I'm condemning uneducated Muslim men and women in the United Kingdom and Europe that preach ******** and concluding they are a heard of mental sheep that could break any minute causing harm to whom they wish. This worries me, as a 16 year old girl in the uk because I feel unsafe being clad in what I want which defines me as a Muslim.

All I can say is that the worst is yet to come.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
No, that's not why I said that, I just feel it doesn't help to underplay the current Islamist terror threat by using a false statistical paradigm any more than it does to overplay it. Clearly the main current terror threat is from IS, extreme Jihadis and young Muslims living in the West they have inspired to act on a freelance basis. We can't avoid that.

I do think that overall the threat is exaggerated - clearly this is not a war, as some would have us believe, it is an indigenous extremist terror threat. Our survival as countries is not at stake, theirs is, even if the survival of some individuals here is threatened. At least so far - if IS manage to obtain nukes or something, then obviously that would change.

There is no doubt that ISIS is the most significant terror threat of current years, however, whether or not they can be considered as muslims is a matter of subjective opinion. Do muslims kill other muslims en masse? The largest victims of this ISIS uprising by far is other muslims, most likely the nice peaceful ones that the world needs more of.

Most muslims will say ISIS are not muslims because their actions violate what the Qu'ran says about murder and killing. Non muslims will say that ISIS is merely fulfilling other verses of the Qu'ran. So it is difficult to say. ISIS no doubt sees other muslims as 'non-muslim' but to the rest of the world all muslim denominations are muslim regardless f whether they are Sunni, Shia, Wahhabist or some other denomination of Islam.

I do however, agree with the bolded, ISIS are not a significant military threat to the West as of yet. However, more action is needed to prevent the ISIS situation from deteriorating further.
Original post by celloel
Eye witnesses.
If you honestly try to pretend this is not a Islamic terrorist attack, despite the calls from ISIS to attack in that way previously, despite all the evidence - his familial background, even down to his name - then you are a fool.

People call it the 'religion of peace' after they tore apart their own countries, then move through the West doing the same with terrorist attacks. ********.

Islam does not ravage Muslim countries , they were fine before the west came
Original post by AKC...
To be honest, I'd prefer Islam to not be dragged down into this. It's political, any motives in these attacks are all about geographical/economic control. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop reducing it to something less.
Reply 71
I'm a Muslim and of course it upsets me. Have I ever experienced Islamophobia? Yeh, and so have a few other Muslims I know. Shame really.
Muslims did not tear apart their own countries, the West did because they wanted oil. The Muslim world was stable enough before the West interfered.
Furthermore, ISIS, whether they called for this attack or not are not Islamic.
As for the extremists who kill innocents, they form less than 0.003% of the world Muslim population.
Islamist attacks only constitute 0.7% of terrorist attacks in Europe
I feel horrified, disgusted, upset, and scared.

When I go online and read the youtube comments, there's more and more people hating Islam. The comments section are filled with "**** you Islam" and "I hate Muslims" and "Let's all burn the Quran" which really upsets me. And scares me because it's a sign of Qayamat (judgement day). I am scared for the future for Muslims and everybody in general. I hate that there is so much hate and terror in the world, and how Muslims get blamed for most of it.

I have gone through a lot of bullying and hate/racism just for having brown skin/wearing Pakistani clothes in public. So I can't imagine what more conservative Muslims i.e women who wear hijab/burka go through on a daily basis. It's sad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chelseafc141
Muslims did not tear apart their own countries, the West did because they wanted oil. The Muslim world was stable enough before the West interfered.
stable apart from the few centuries where sunnis were going round exterminating shias and vice versa. Oil money simply allowed them to ditch the swords daggers and upgrade weapons to the 21st century level. unfortuanltey it also dragged the west into what was simply an islamic issue.
Furthermore, ISIS, whether they called for this attack or not are not Islamic.
[*] its a caliphate, more islamic than any other islamic land around nowadays (hence the problems)
As for the extremists who kill innocents, they form less than 0.003% of the world Muslim population.Islamist attacks only constitute 0.7% of terrorist attacks in Europe
really :confused: who is responsible for the other 99.3% - let me guess , israel?
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I feel horrified, disgusted, upset, and scared.

When I go online and read the youtube comments, there's more and more people hating Islam. The comments section are filled with "**** you Islam" and "I hate Muslims" and "Let's all burn the Quran" which really upsets me. And scares me because it's a sign of Qayamat (judgement day). I am scared for the future for Muslims and everybody in general. I hate that there is so much hate and terror in the world, and how Muslims get blamed for most of it.

I have gone through a lot of bullying and hate/racism just for having brown skin/wearing Pakistani clothes in public. So I can't imagine what more conservative Muslims i.e women who wear hijab/burka go through on a daily basis. It's sad.

How is hate towards Muslims and Islam a sign of fictional Judgement Day? It's been going on since at least the Crusades...
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
How is hate towards Muslims and Islam a sign of fictional Judgement Day? It's been going on since at least the Crusades...

I never said that?

I was talking about the terrorist attacks... :smile:
Original post by sulaimanali
It's very annoying rather than upsetting now that Islam is always considered with terrorism and these attacks - it's so frequent that as soon as something happens, Islam and terrorism is the first thought.

you have tobe honest im sure its the first thought amoung muslims too when something happens. its inevetable given the uncontrollled spread of political islam
Absolutely.

But honestly, it just seems to me that a significant part of the US consists of people that hold similar ideologies to his (or to the one he's portraying during his candidacy). And until now, those people's voices have been stifled. But since he began his campaign, they've felt empowered by it and now feel confident to outwardly express their views. Sort of like mob mentality.

I may be wrong, but seems like that to me. Hopefully that portion of the population doesn't win out when voting begins.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I never said that?

I was talking about the terrorist attacks... :smile:

Terrorist attacks have always happened though...

Quick Reply

Latest