The Student Room Group

Vocab learning for A2

I'm planning on learning all of the vocabulary for French and Spanish A2 to put me in the best possible position next year.

Is anyone else planning on doing this with the language(s) they're carrying on to A2? What's the best way to go about it? I'm planning on using Memrise but I know sometimes it can be hard to remember the vocab outside of Memrise when you only use that website to learn vocab. And is it feasible to expect to do this in this time?
Reply 1
Original post by BubbleChi
I'm planning on learning all of the vocabulary for French and Spanish A2 to put me in the best possible position next year.

Is anyone else planning on doing this with the language(s) they're carrying on to A2? What's the best way to go about it? I'm planning on using Memrise but I know sometimes it can be hard to remember the vocab outside of Memrise when you only use that website to learn vocab. And is it feasible to expect to do this in this time?

Hey!

Yes it is definitely possible to do this in this space of time! The best way to learn vocab for me personally is to use websites related to the topics. For example I wanted to learn holiday vocab for German, so I read an article on mobile homes. I was so surprised with how many awesome words/phrases there were and it definitely increased my vocabulary very quickly. Using the webpages also gives you context, so you know exactly what the words mean because of the topic of the article.

Another great way is to use a YouTube channel called 'Easy Languages'. These people interview others on the streets in different countries depending on the language and you get to see really cool colloquial vocab. You may have already heard of it, but here's the link anyway -

https://www.youtube.com/user/magauchsein

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PhyM23
Hey!

Yes it is definitely possible to do this in this space of time! The best way to learn vocab for me personally is to use websites related to the topics. For example I wanted to learn holiday vocab for German, so I read an article on mobile homes. I was so surprised with how many awesome words/phrases there were and it definitely increased my vocabulary very quickly. Using the webpages also gives you context, so you know exactly what the words mean because of the topic of the article.

Another great way is to use a YouTube channel called 'Easy Languages'. These people interview others on the streets in different countries depending on the language and you get to see really cool colloquial vocab. You may have already heard of it, but here's the link anyway -

https://www.youtube.com/user/magauchsein

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the advice, that's so helpful! I'll try to do that, it seems like a great way of learning vocab. I have heard of Easy Languages but I've only really used it for listening practice, I can see it would lend itself well to vocab learning. Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BubbleChi
Thanks for the advice, that's so helpful! I'll try to do that, it seems like a great way of learning vocab. I have heard of Easy Languages but I've only really used it for listening practice, I can see it would lend itself well to vocab learning. Thank you :smile:

You're very welcome :smile:
Hey bubble, i just finished A2 french and I highly recommend using Anki to learn all your vocab - which you can get here - http://ankisrs.net/ (this program is amazing, seriously). Basically at the start of the year I went through my textbook and put every word I didn't know on there and learnt 20 new words per day, so I was finished (1000 words ish) by november. Then I just read random articles, adding nouns/verbs/phrases I didn't understand over time. I can't put into words how much this helped me out since I just gave myself full marks on the reading and writing 3 months in to the course. I actually got sound files for each word too but it was extremely time consuming and I recommend just listening to clips/radio/tv once you get familiar with all the vocab.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Bananapeeler
Hey bubble, i just finished A2 french and I highly recommend using Anki to learn all your vocab - which you can get here - http://ankisrs.net/ (this program is amazing, seriously). Basically at the start of the year I went through my textbook and put every word I didn't know on there and learnt 20 new words per day, so I was finished (1000 words ish) by november. Then I just read random articles, adding nouns/verbs/phrases I didn't understand over time. I can't put into words how much this helped me out since I just gave myself full marks on the reading and writing 3 months in to the course. I actually got sound files for each word too but it was extremely time consuming and I recommend just listening to clips/radio/tv once you get familiar with all the vocab.
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much !!! :smile:
Reply 6
Yes I've already started :smile: I'm going the full mile;

- Writing down all the vocab from textbook I don't recognise.
- Doing same with past papers.
- Going through online kerboodle exercises and doing same.
- I've ordered 1 other textbook and will get 1 more in September and do the same.
- I've come up with words myself related to topics and wrote them down.

I'm so ****ing prepared but this means I'm genuinely gonna have in the region of 1500 or so words to learn lmao.

I've been creating flashcards w/ pictures to help me remmeber words; that's how I learnt at AS. I also do a lotta other stuff as well to improve general language skills.

I am doing German fyi.
Reply 7
Original post by Inexorably
Yes I've already started :smile: I'm going the full mile;

- Writing down all the vocab from textbook I don't recognise.
- Doing same with past papers.
- Going through online kerboodle exercises and doing same.
- I've ordered 1 other textbook and will get 1 more in September and do the same.
- I've come up with words myself related to topics and wrote them down.

I'm so ****ing prepared but this means I'm genuinely gonna have in the region of 1500 or so words to learn lmao.

I've been creating flashcards w/ pictures to help me remmeber words; that's how I learnt at AS. I also do a lotta other stuff as well to improve general language skills.

I am doing German fyi.

Those are good ideas, I hope you manage to learn it all too! I told my Spanish teacher about my plans to learn all the vocab and she doubted that it was possible but I think if you're motivated it's definitely possible
Yeah I'm doing the same as you guys, noting down vocab from the kerboodle lists and using memrise to learn them. Also, I find that reading articles helps a lot, especially if you note down a few new words or phrases each time so it doesn't become overwhelming.

How are you guys going about reading the book for next year? Like are you noting down all the vocab that you don't know and learning that? I've literally got no idea how to approach it.
Original post by FakeDumbledore
Yeah I'm doing the same as you guys, noting down vocab from the kerboodle lists and using memrise to learn them. Also, I find that reading articles helps a lot, especially if you note down a few new words or phrases each time so it doesn't become overwhelming.

How are you guys going about reading the book for next year? Like are you noting down all the vocab that you don't know and learning that? I've literally got no idea how to approach it.

I went through each page and highlighted every single word I couldn't understand, then put them onto flashcards (online) and learnt them. It worked pretty well since we worked through all the exercises and stuff in class which solidified everything :smile:

p.s I was using the french AQA textbook so I can't say if this is the same for you, but some of the definitions in the vocab boxes were slightly off - either they used the word in an uncommon way or something, but I recommend looking the words up on wordreference rather than referring to your book as it's generally more accurate

edit - whoops i totally missed that you were talking about the actual book you study. my bad!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FakeDumbledore

I am quite fortunate in that we don't study a book next year. We do history (yay) and film (eugh). So I can't help there really :tongue:
Hey, if you're doing edexcel French all the A2 vocabulary is actually on memrise so you could use that to prepare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending