The Student Room Group

Is this a ridiculously over-ambitious list of potential choices?

I'm trying to put together a list of places to put on my UCAS application to study English and really having trouble with coming up with a broad range of universities, in terms of how difficult they are to get in to. So far I have:

Birmingham
Exeter
Cambridge
York
Either Reading or Warwick

- it's kind of hard to work out the difference in typical offers since I'm doing Access to HE and most places seem to have the same offer: 30 Distinctions, 15 Merits, no Passes.

I'm pretty sure I can meet that with no problems (already have 24 D, 0 M, 0 P from my first year) but I'm scared of getting no offers at all :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rattie
I'm trying to put together a list of places to put on my UCAS application to study English and really having trouble with coming up with a broad range of universities, in terms of how difficult they are to get in to. So far I have:

Birmingham
Exeter
Cambridge
York

- it's kind of hard to work out the difference in typical offers since I'm doing Access to HE and most places seem to have the same offer: 30 Distinctions, 15 Merits, no Passes.

I'm pretty sure I can meet that with no problems (already have 24 D, 0 M, 0 P from my first year) but I'm scared of getting no offers at all :biggrin:

Assuming you continue with all distinctions, I suspect that you would get 3-4 offers.
Original post by Rattie

Birmingham
Exeter
Cambridge
York

English is a tremendously oversubscribed subject and the places you have listed are going to be massively oversubscribed as well. You need to have a wider range, with a couple of safer options. This is no slur on your application at all, and is the advice I would give to all similar applicants.
Reply 3
Thanks so much for your posts!

In terms of safer options, would Reading be considered one? I didn't like it that much at the open day I went to, but I thought it might be a little less dangerous than some of the others. I also went to Southampton and Surrey - Surrey I didn't like at all, and Southampton was okay but i got horribly lost :biggrin:

I looked at Hull, Keele and Lincoln's websites - Keele's typical Access offer is quite high, though. I'm wondering if anyone has better suggestions for more accessible universities (taking into consideration the results i already have) as it's pretty hard to find info on which ones are more likely to give offers for Access students.

The course outlines and assessment methods at lots of the more attainable universities tend to appeal to me less - I really don't like being assessed by groupwork or presentations.

One problem I have is that my college tutors and careers advisor don't have a lot of experience in this area. The careers advisor in particular told me that she really doesn't have anything much to do with the Access and A level students, and that she's mostly familiar with advising the BTEC students. Most people from my college go on to do vocational degrees or aim for universities with pretty low entry requirements (really they shouldn't - I have friends there with great results so far who are aiming well below where their results would suggest they should).

Sorry about all the questions…
Reply 4
What I mean by mentioning the students going for the vocational courses it's that that's the main area my college prepares people for, so they're very knowledgeable about, e.g., applying for nursing.
Original post by Rattie
What I mean by mentioning the students going for the vocational courses it's that that's the main area my college prepares people for, so they're very knowledgeable about, e.g., applying for nursing.

I'm a bit out of the loop these days on which universities are offering lower grades for English, and Access courses have never been my area of expertise, but you might try typing your expected grades into www.whatuni.com and searching that way. I am assuming the search facility accepts things other than A levels, but I can't swear to it. However, if you enter in different combinations of A level grades, you will get a set of results at different levels, which may help you.

In the meantime, here is my sticky on applying for English:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm a bit out of the loop these days on which universities are offering lower grades for English, and Access courses have never been my area of expertise, but you might try typing your expected grades into www.whatuni.com and searching that way. I am assuming the search facility accepts things other than A levels, but I can't swear to it. However, if you enter in different combinations of A level grades, you will get a set of results at different levels, which may help you.

In the meantime, here is my sticky on applying for English:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516

Thanks for the site suggestion and the thread link - I'm sorry about any mistakes I'm making with posting, BTW; I've only ever lurked and browsed before now. I'll go and check those out.
Original post by Rattie
Thanks for the site suggestion and the thread link - I'm sorry about any mistakes I'm making with posting, BTW; I've only ever lurked and browsed before now. I'll go and check those out.

No worries. Would you like me to move this to either Mature Students or English?
Reply 8
No worries. Would you like me to move this to either Mature Students or English?

If you think those would be better, yes please!
Reply 9
Wait, that was an "or", wasn't it? :biggrin:

I'm not sure which would be more appropriate TBH.
Original post by Rattie
If you think those would be better, yes please!

Well, it could go one of two ways. In Mature Students, you'll get responses from people about which universities are especially Access friendly, and in English, you'll get ideas about where else to apply to. Pick which one you like and I'll move it, and then maybe you can make another thread in the other forum.
Reply 11
Well, it could go one of two ways. In Mature Students, you'll get responses from people about which universities are especially Access friendly, and in English, you'll get ideas about where else to apply to. Pick which one you like and I'll move it, and then maybe you can make another thread in the other forum.

Thank you - it sounds like English would be useful. :smile:
Original post by Rattie
Thank you - it sounds like English would be useful. :smile:

Done.:smile:
Original post by Rattie

Birmingham
Exeter
Cambridge
York

I think Reading is a safer than all the other ones. I think in terms of grades, if you don't have what they are looking for then they'll probably reject you. That's what happened to me anyway. I have a friend that goes to Reading, she likes it.

I applied to Keele. It's in the middle of nowhere though.

I have no idea about what you're asking in terms of the grades and whatnot.

But maybe ask yourself what kind of literature you want to study and what do you want to get out of your degree. For example, some English departments at unis specialize in earlier literature works like 900-19th Century Literature, while other unis will focus on modern and contemporary works. It's pretty similar for all first years to read a wider range of literature, like Shakespeare, Victorian Literature, American Literature in their first years anyway. But when it comes to 2nd and 3rd year, you get to specialize in what you find interesting.

Personally, I like the Victorian or 19th Century literature. But, academically, I want my degree to be quite varied and interesting. Not so much the philosophy side where I pretty much enjoy Ancient and Medieval Philosophy. Back to the Literature side, I'm taking various lit modules like Crime and Trangressive literature, I'm taking a module that solely focuses on animals and their narratives in literature. So I'm defo making the most of it.

Have a think of whether you want to study varied modules or modules that are close together in theme or literary period. That should have a big influence in which unis you apply to.
Reply 14
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I think Reading is a safer than all the other ones. I think in terms of grades, if you don't have what they are looking for then they'll probably reject you. That's what happened to me anyway. I have a friend that goes to Reading, she likes it.

I applied to Keele. It's in the middle of nowhere though.

I have no idea about what you're asking in terms of the grades and whatnot.

But maybe ask yourself what kind of literature you want to study and what do you want to get out of your degree. For example, some English departments at unis specialize in earlier literature works like 900-19th Century Literature, while other unis will focus on modern and contemporary works. It's pretty similar for all first years to read a wider range of literature, like Shakespeare, Victorian Literature, American Literature in their first years anyway. But when it comes to 2nd and 3rd year, you get to specialize in what you find interesting.

Personally, I like the Victorian or 19th Century literature. But, academically, I want my degree to be quite varied and interesting. Not so much the philosophy side where I pretty much enjoy Ancient and Medieval Philosophy. Back to the Literature side, I'm taking various lit modules like Crime and Trangressive literature, I'm taking a module that solely focuses on animals and their narratives in literature. So I'm defo making the most of it.

Have a think of whether you want to study varied modules or modules that are close together in theme or literary period. That should have a big influence in which unis you apply to.

Thanks for your response and advice! I've done quite a lot of digging around the course pages, looking at module lists, assessment methods, and differences in attitude/focus (e.g. I discounted Surrey when I discovered they were massively focussed on employability, which is great, but not what I'm looking for in a degree course - aside from the fact I want to do lit because I enjoy it, I think doing well on a course I enjoy will help my employability more than going somewhere I won't enjoy as much because of the employability focus). Unfortunately my main area of interest isn't well served by pretty much any of the universities I've looked at (although Warwick does have a module on it at the moment), but like you, I want a broad range of subjects.

All the ones on my list have course profiles I like, and getting the grades, for most unis, will likely not be a problem as I'm halfway through my course and have the grades I need so far. Doing Access over two years is slightly different do doing A levels in that we cover two subjects in the first year and the other two in the second year, so I have 24 Distinctions already in the bag, with 21 graded credits left to go. Unless it's Warwick or Cambridge, which require 45 Distinctions, i only need 6 more Distinction credits (and the rest at merit) to meet the grade requirements. It's getting offers I'm worried about, mostly!

But really good to look at the course profiles, yes - it's amazing how different they can be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending