The Student Room Group

I have £14,000 in the stock market, ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

I don't understand why people invest in the stock exchange over the long term, day trading is a much better mean to make money - the doenside is you have to pay the full capital gains tax.
Original post by fg45344

Roughly how much do you make a year from your shares?
Original post by fg45344
I do what Warren Buffett does, wait for the right moment to buy. If it's too expensive (the stock) I won't touch it.

The Brexit crash was a perfect moment to buy the housebuilders, Persimmon etc. They became so cheap relative to the market.

There are a few stocks I missed though, I was eyeing up Shell, but it's too expensive now. You have to pay a fair price for it, or the market will burn you in the short term. If you are holding forever it's still better to pay a fair price than to buy on impulse.

it was rather impulsive as I had a friend who was into shares and I was into gold so we did each other stuff so he handled my shares and I handle his gold and it works out our collections mirrored until Brexit when I bought BA and sold then rebought my gold after a couple of weeks
Reply 23
Original post by urbanlocations
Roughly how much do you make a year from your shares?

Say £500 in dividends on top of share growth, so in a good year you can make £2000-£3000 on the £14,000 investment.

If you hit it lucky, you can even double your money every 2 years. But you need a proper bull market and real growth in that company.

I mean we can dip down to the even riskier end and say double your money every 4-5 months, but then I start getting scared as well.

However when you buy at a good price, you can double your money every few months. I bought BP stock at 361p, now it's trading at 452p, so that's a 25% return in 3 weeks.
Reply 24
Original post by jake4198
I don't understand why people invest in the stock exchange over the long term, day trading is a much better mean to make money - the doenside is you have to pay the full capital gains tax.

Because day trading is 10 times riskier than what I am doing.

You can day trade in your ISA and pay no capital gains tax. But you need to be throwing in a couple of grand at a time in each security to make 100-200 quid a day (if the security goes your way).
Original post by 34908seikj
Why does daddy make mummy cry, why does he hit her?

Ofcourse you and ONLY YOU would ask that
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
Do you enjoy being a compulsive liar?

14k on the markets is hardly anything to beat drums about...
Reply 27
What site do you use?
Any tips for someone trying to open an account? Which site is better, which is easier to use ..
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Ofcourse you and ONLY YOU would ask that

Hiya
Hiya

Reply 30
Original post by Lanthum
What site do you use?
Any tips for someone trying to open an account? Which site is better, which is easier to use ..

I use HL (Hargreaves Lansdown), they are thieves...they charge so much :frown:

My dad uses Equiniti, I think they are better, lower fees, but HL have the best info for "novice" investors and pretty graphs.

HL is pretty easy to use and they are trusted.

Original post by fg45344

Why don't you trade in Forex like a real man?
Original post by fg45344
Starbucks (SBUX)
Apple (AAPL)
Walt Disney Group (DIS)
Legal and General (LGN)
BP (BP.)
Eros International 6.5% bonds (bought way under par, so I get 9.5%)
Barclays (BARC.L)
Greggs (GRG)

^^ The 14k is split among those, some have more, some have less, but it's more or less even.

How much are they worth now?
Reply 35
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Why don't you trade in Forex like a real man?

Cos I don't understand it enough to make money on it. Sure I did do a module in international finance, but I don't have the real world experience. With the stock markets, I've been playing them and watching them for a year now.

Plus it's a lot more riskier than what I do, which is buy and hold reinvesting dividends.
Reply 36
Original post by I feel myself
How much are they worth now?

I bought some of those shares in 2015 and the market severely corrected (my bad luck). Half of them I bought at the bottom, so I am up a bit.

But in a few years time I will up a lot more, unless we hit another recession.
You have to think long term, plus you get £500 in dividends for doing nothing which helps.

Reply 38
Do you actually know how to invest or you just read it of the internet
Reply 39
Original post by Filler
Do you actually know how to invest or you just read it of the internet

If I didn't know I wouldn't put £14,000 of my own money in it.

And the internet is a great place to learn how to invest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending