The Student Room Group

I have £14,000 in the stock market, ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Filler
And how do you do that lel. Just because of Brexit you;re saying this?

It's hard, but if you can get +/- 5% from the bottom, you will make money. I'll give you an example, L&G (Legal and General) stock crashed from 230p to 168p. I bought it at 175p. It's now trading around 188p. Can you see how I was trying to get the bottom, before the stock corrects itself and goes to a more fair market value.

The market always overreacts, remember that.

Brexit was a great time to buy, stocks dropping stupid amounts.

There is no formula for predicting the bottom, you look at the current value and you see what the stock was 3-4 years ago. If it's been growing well and there is nothing tragically wrong with the company, you have predicted the bottom. But it's very hard to predict correctly all the time!
Reply 61
Original post by fg45344
It's hard, but if you can get +/- 5% from the bottom, you will make money. I'll give you an example, L&G (Legal and General) stock crashed from 230p to 168p. I bought it at 175p. It's now trading around 188p. Can you see how I was trying to get the bottom, before the stock corrects itself and goes to a more fair market value.

The market always overreacts, remember that.

Brexit was a great time to buy, stocks dropping stupid amounts.

There is no formula for predicting the bottom, you look at the current value and you see what the stock was 3-4 years ago. If it's been growing well and there is nothing tragically wrong with the company, you have predicted the bottom. But it's very hard to predict correctly all the time!

Lol thats just guessing m8. The bottom your thinking of might not be the actual bottom, the price can continue decreasing and decreasing until it its the 'real bottom' then it would take months/years for it to go back up. E.g. in Jan 16 apples price was about 90 which is lower than what it was 3-4 years ago but now its around 84. Its gone lower. This is why I said the internet doesnt give reliable info unless you go to the reliable sites which are hard to find
Reply 62
Original post by Filler
Lol thats just guessing m8. The bottom your thinking of might not be the actual bottom, the price can continue decreasing and decreasing until it its the 'real bottom' then it would take months/years for it to go back up. E.g. in Jan 16 apples price was about 90 which is lower than what it was 3-4 years ago but now its around 84. Its gone lower. This is why I said the internet doesnt give reliable info unless you go to the reliable sites which are hard to find

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=AAPL&ei=hDyJV-n6LcTGsQHCpLCgBw

^^ This is what Apple is trading at, around $98, real time price from the NASDAQ

$90 was the perfect time to buy. If you are so near the bottom, it will take weeks at most, if that.
Reply 63
Original post by fg45344
https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=AAPL&ei=hDyJV-n6LcTGsQHCpLCgBw

^^ This is what Apple is trading at, around $98, real time price from the NASDAQ

$90 was the perfect time to buy. If you are so near the bottom, it will take weeks at most, if that.

Was looking at wrong chart :biggrin: But in AAPL alone I can see so many instances like i said above. But if you want to do it then go for it im just advising you :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Filler
Was looking at wrong chart :biggrin: But in AAPL alone I can see so many instances like i said above. But if you want to do it then go for it im just advising you :smile:

If you want to see the perfect stock, check out VISA on the Dow 30....

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=visa&ei=Yz-JV9mLOIi8UcP-nfgB

Look at the 10 year growth on that, hardly any dips.
Reply 65
Original post by fg45344
If you want to see the perfect stock, check out VISA on the Dow 30....

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=visa&ei=Yz-JV9mLOIi8UcP-nfgB

Look at the 10 year growth on that, hardly any dips.

If investing was that easy more than 80% of the traders and investors wouldnt have lost their money. However if a certain tactic works for you, you might have some luck in it so I wouldnt rule it out. Just be wary of doing it in the long run.
Reply 66
Original post by Filler
If investing was that easy more than 80% of the traders and investors wouldnt have lost their money. However if a certain tactic works for you, you might have some luck in it so I wouldnt rule it out. Just be wary of doing it in the long run.

I want you to look at something...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c8/DJIA_historical_graph_to_jul11_(log).svg/2000px-DJIA_historical_graph_to_jul11_(log).svg.png

^^ This is the return for the DJIA (Dow Jones Industrial Average), the 30 largest stocks by market cap traded on us exchanges. Can you see how the market always moves up, how it has always outpaced inflation.

I would say 95% of investors will always make money in the long run, even if they are idiots. That is the nature of the market and capitalism.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending