The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

Watching Taskim square on periscope atm. Hearing some gunfire
Original post by TheAtaKhan
now their "jew" scapegoats.

What do you mean by this?
Original post by AlexanderHam
They're both authoritarian. The difference is one is Islamist authoritarian and one is secular authoritarian. I know which I'd prefer.

There is difference between Erdogans Islamism that foreigners can not understand, I am totally against him but I dont think you speaking as if you know what is going on is not okay. You can not know it better than us Turks in Istanbul or Ankara.
(edited 7 years ago)
3 confirmed wounded at the bridge where gunfire was occurred. Still looks to me that Erdogan is in a stronger position than he was at 10pm.
Definitely gunfire. It's intensifying
Some sort of bus pushing toward military lines (live on CNN)
Original post by TelAviv

Erdogan has been using FETÖ as scapegoats just as Hitler used Jews. What I meant was that.
BoJo will sort it all out... um...
Someone please tell me what the hell is going on in turkey?
The military is against the president? Like how?
Is it true President Erdogan fled the country in his private jet? Why is he scared?
Plz someone inform me. The NEWS! is DRIVING ME CRAZY! The headlines are changing legit every second *yes i know i'm exaggerating*
Original post by TelAviv

He's claiming that this is a Gulenist (look it up on wiki) coup. Gulenist is a modertate Muslim preacher who used to be an Erdogan ally. He was forced out of the country after Erdogan claimed that corruption investigations against him were orchestrated by Gulen

Very strange for them to be claiming Gulen is some kind of anti-semite. He's started up dialogues with Jewish organisations and with the Vatican too. He's clearly quite ecumenical. He also wants more science education, so he is not Islamist crazy
Military coup plotters can't even maintain the curfew.
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Is it true President Erdogan fled the country in his private jet? Why is he scared?
Plz someone inform me. The NEWS! is DRIVING ME CRAZY! The headlines are changing legit every second *yes i know i'm exaggerating*

The President of Turkey Erdogan, he heads a party called AKP which has been in power since 2002. They are very conservative, Muslim party.

Traditionally Turkey has been very secular, it was founed by a man called Ataturk in the 1920 who ensured Turkey had a modern outlook, womens' rights, education and so on. The military have always seen themselves as the guardians of Ataturk's secular legacy.

Turkey had a lot of coups from the 1950s to 1980s. They haven't had one for a long time so this is surprising, but Erdogan is becoming an Islamist dictator so clearly they felt they had to act. It is repored Erdogan has flown out of the country (because he fears they will imprison him, maybe even kill him, if they get hold of him)
Original post by AlexanderHam
They're both authoritarian. The difference is one is Islamist authoritarian and one is secular authoritarian. I know which I'd prefer.

Isn't the aim for the army, in the end, to have a democratic government that hasn't slid into Islamist ideals? I.e what the were before previously.
Original post by TheAtaKhan
There is difference between Erdogans Islamism that foreigners can not understand, I am totally against him but I dont think you speaking as if you know what is going on is not okay. You can not know it better than us Turks in Istanbul or Ankara.

Could you explain the situation from a Turkish point of view that foreigners can understand?
Original post by PrincessBO$$

A lot of conflicting reports right now.
But 3 hours into the coup the rebel faction in the army don't have full control yet.
In the morning we may wake up with erdogan still in power, or a military couple complete.
Original post by Scrappy-coco
Isn't the aim for the army, in the end, to have a democratic government that hasn't slid into Islamist ideals? I.e what the were before previously.

Turkey has intermittently had democratic government since the 1920s, but they really were mostly a one-party state under the CHP which was Ataturk's party. They believe in secularism, womens' rights, etc.

The military has undertaken about 5 coups between 1950 and 1993, mostly to oppose leftist elements. It's true that each time the military has handed power back to civilians after a period.

The problem is, what if they hold and election and erdogan wins? They have to tread carefully to bring back democracy but a secular democracy, they might require a military goernment for a few years until the ISIS/PKK crisis has passed
Glorious news.
Could you explain the situation from a Turkish point of view that foreigners can understand?

He believes this is a "Gulenist" coup. That is highly unlikely, it's like Stalin claiming a coup against him was by Trotsky. If you've read Animal Farm, Gulen is like their Snowball.

The coup is by secular Kemalist elements
Original post by viddy9
Military coup plotters can't even maintain the curfew.

Well unlike the Egyptian military the Turkish military don't fire on their people (despite some wounded on the istanbul bridge)

I m really making it short.

Erdogan's Islamism : Do your prayer, vote for Erdogan and sleep. Anyone who opposes Erdogan is evil.

ISIS Islamism : Kill and behead the infidels.

I hope you can see the difference, both are really bad types of Islamism but the difference is really important.

Quick Reply