The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Opinion
Hey, can you pm me that link please?

The tank one? I thought I already did
Original post by TercioOfParma
I will PM you the link to the tank if you want

Could you please link me such too.
Original post by abcde3237
which stream ?

It was on Periscope in Ankara. There might still be some people streaming from there.
A bomb blow off near me, going offline
**** is going down in Ankara right now. Erdogan is flying into Istanbul, the largest city, but there are reports of major battles right now in the capital Ankara.

There's lots of footage of the military doing in Ankara what they couldn't bring themselves to do in Istanbul. They are clearing the streets, the parliament and intelligence headquarters has been bombed.
Original post by TheAtaKhan

Hope you're alright mate, stay safe

Stay safe mate, If it is the one off of fox news I hope no more are dropped around there.
Massacres outside the military hq in Ankara apparently

Stay safe, find somewhere safe.
hope you come out safe from this.
Reply 389
Videos being posted on social media showing civilians being killed by assault rifles. This is far from over.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Massacres outside the military hq in Ankara apparently

By or against the military?
Original post by Al-farhan
By or against the military?

Against civilians I assume.
WEW! Looks like someone's doing airstrikes!
Reports the military is fighting back hard, Taksim Square is being strafed.

The attempts by Erdoganists to depict that its momentum had faltered, that it was all getting under control, was very premature and propaganda of a sort. Erdogan has no control whatsoever in Ankara
CNN Turk has apparently been taken down by military now.
Loud explosion at ataturk airport, did they get erdogan?
Original post by TelAviv
WEW! Looks like someone's doing airstrikes

The coup plotters were hoping the initial seizure would cause the government to fall. It didn't and AKP supporters came out on to the streets; for a while the plotters seemed not to know what to do, but it's clear they've made a decision now to see this through.

The military is clearing AKP supporters off the streets in Ankara, shooting them if necessary. There's also reports of gun battles at Istanbul airport so it's unclear whether Erdogan has succesfully got out of there / landed.

The Erdoganists tried to depict the coup as having failed, that was clearly very premature.
BBC is so backwards, buying the claim that the coup is "winding down now". Ffs get with the programme
Original post by Mathemagicien
We can only hope its a coup, anything is better than Erdogan (an increasingly Islamist and anti-secularist president who is strongly concentrating power around himself)

Friday night is always the best time for a coup, imo, since things can settle down before the working week

Edit: here's the Reddit live thread. https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

Summary: Looks like a group (now looks like the land and air leaders) in the Turkish military took their head general hostage, taken over TV stations, airport, bridges, shot down a police helecopter, called a curfew and martial law, social media partially blocked. The military statement is that secularism needs to be restored. Erdogan's party called for people to get on the streets (something that they had previously banned). Unfortunately Erdogan is apparently safe, and his PM is and has been claiming for a while that the coup has failed. Erdogan has issued a statement from an undisclosed secure location. Turkish Army shot pro-Erdogan fanatic who ran at army positions screaming "Allahu Akbar". Mosques are supporting Erdogan, relentlessly calling prayer, in order to get people into the streets. Explosions heard at news agency. Military helicopter fired at surface. Some soldiers have been arrested by the police (lol). Shooting at airport. Erdogan supporters clashing with army, shouting "Allahu Akbar". Clashes between pro-Erdogan and pro-military protesters. Some police killed in attack on police special forces headquarters, while some pro coup protesters have been killed by pro-government protesters, and some pro-government protesters have been injured by the military.

Turkey's military does not answer to its president like many other countries. They serve to maintain the vision of the country's founder, the secularist Attaturk, who was determined that Turkey be a westernised state - he removed Islam as the state religion, adopted the Gregorian calendar, etc.. The current president, Erdogan, has been pushing more and more islamist-focused laws (control of the media, things like that). This goes against the secular-focus of the country's founding.The military has decided the president needs to be removed, and have staged a coup to accomplish this. This is not unique in Turkey's history, their military has done this a few times in the past for the same reasons. Presumably, the military's goal is to put someone more secular in power of the government.The police in Turkey work for the government. So they are fighting against the military currently.

Note also that there is mandatory military service in Turkey, while the police are seen as corrupt, so the public is generally supportive of the military, excluding islamists and other supporters of Erdogone.

The 1st army command is pro-government, as is the special forces commander

Also, Syrians are partying, they are very happy about this coup.
The coup announced sharia law...is that any better than the current regime?
Erdogan propogandist and his 16 year old son killed by soldiers apparently.

Quick Reply

Latest