The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-farhan
Does anyone speak turkish?
[video]https://www.facebook.com/AhmedFuadAlrayyis/videos/820011914766953/[/video]

I think that army guy was ordering his troops to stand down (was on somewhere else).
Original post by The_Opinion
Things don't look good for the coup people, from what I have seen don't seem to have the streets locked down, they seem to be unwilling to shoot people (which needs to be done in order to achieve what they want).

I heard the exact opposite, they seem to be having no problem sweeping the streets in Ankara apparently.
Sad that people have been killed there. Died for nothing, really.
Going to sleep. Hopefully, Erdogan is done for.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I heard the exact opposite, they seem to be having no problem sweeping the streets in Ankara apparently.

The numbers of victims (at least reported as of yet) don't reflect that, a very small number of civilians have died, for too few to represent any form of effective large scale street clearing, the way that civilian were allowed to just take over several tanks was shocking, how a soldier can allow that to happen is ridiculous.

What is the air force doing in all of this? Turkey has lots of aircraft but very few seen to be doing anything. Such a strange coup, its like 5% want the coup, 5% are against it and 90% of the armed forces are just sitting around doing nothing.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Going to sleep. Hopefully, Erdogan is done for.

I speak from no authority regarding this, but it really doesn't seem to me like he is going (perhaps i'll wake up and be surprised).
(edited 7 years ago)
The numbers of victims (at least reported as of yet) don't reflect that, a very small number of civilians have died, for too few to represent any form of effective large scale street clearing, the way that civilian were allowed to just take over several tanks was shocking, how a soldier can allow that to happen is ridiculous.

What is the air force doing in all of this? Turkey has lots of aircraft but very few seen to be doing anything. Such a strange coup, its like 5% want the coup, 5% are against it and 90% of the armed forces are just sitting around doing nothing.

I thought the tank bs only happened in Istanbul. There are dogfights going on apparently.
Reply 467

Most are waiting and will follow the winner.
Well they just took control of Ataturk airport, most likely capturing Erdogan.

Despite all those saying the Coup is failing, 30 soldier surrendering in what seems to be a fairly large scale coup... doesn't really mean much.

Also the pro-government reports are also saying millions are on the streets. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near as large numbers.
Original post by DanB1991
Well they just took control of Ataturk airport, most likely capturing Erdogan.

Despite all those saying the Coup is failing, 30 soldier surrendering in what seems to be a fairly large scale coup... doesn't really mean much.

Also the pro-government reports are also saying millions are on the streets. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near as large numbers.

Non-coup soldiers took control of the airport (from what I have read).
So, what's basically happening here is that the Turkish military are trying to take over the government by military force?

Where are you guys seeing all these live update feeds from?
Some part of the military tried to take over. Seems to be a relatively small group because the full might of the military wouldn't be this small.

http://live.aljazeera.com/Event/TURKEY_COUP_ATTEMPT

http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/
Original post by IdeasForLife
Some part of the military tried to take over. Seems to be a relatively small group because the full might of the military wouldn't be this small.

http://live.aljazeera.com/Event/TURKEY_COUP_ATTEMPT

http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

Thank you, I've been at work all evening. What's the current situation?
Yw.People are saying the coup has failed. There is still some fighting going on apparently but it doesn't seem to be anything big. Erdogan arrived in istanbul airport and spoke to reporters in the past hour or so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yw.People are saying the coup has failed. There is still some fighting going on apparently but it doesn't seem to be anything big. Erdogan arrived in istanbul airport and spoke to reporters in the past hour or so.

Thanks, it seems as if the world has gone mad, first the Nice attack and now this
I think it's always mad, just perhaps it's been shot more in our faces in the past day or two.

Time to sleep anyway. :tongue:
Democracy is only good when the Muslims aren't voted in. Didn't you know :smile:

Erdogan 1 - 0 Coup plotters

Sweet, sweet victory. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
So, it seems likely that now that the coup has failed, Turkey will become an increasingly autocratic state that will purge anyone opposed to Erdogan's policies. Which likely means less and less secularism, along with more and more "progress" towards a theocracy.

Not that it was very democratic anyway, with only members of a particular party allowed to vote. I guess now they'll just stop pretending.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AlexanderHam
Reports the military is fighting back hard, Taksim Square is being strafed.

The attempts by Erdoganists to depict that its momentum had faltered, that it was all getting under control, was very premature and propaganda of a sort. Erdogan has no control whatsoever in Ankara

Attempts of coup military (which we Turks believe as Gulenists, but some ppl aint going to accept them because Gulen is reported by non-Turkish media as a secularist, which he is not) have failed and life is getting back to normal. I hope all who support evil factions in Turkey can suck on that.
Original post by jeremy1988
So, it seems likely that now that the coup has failed, Turkey will become an increasingly autocratic state that will purge anyone opposed to Erdogan's policies. Which likely means less and less secularism, along with more and more "progress" towards a theocracy.

Not that it was very democratic anyway, with only members of a particular party allowed to vote. I guess now they'll just stop pretending.

Well at least it is progressing democratically :biggrin::biggrin:

No joke, this will be our current issue tho.

Quick Reply

Latest