The Student Room Group

I played the (stock) markets today, and only lost £7.50, not too shabby?

Scroll to see replies

Completely messed about with trading 212 with a free £10000 and I think I now have £30000... have no clue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 141
Lol nice thread.

Was I the only one that felt that 1.45+ was way too high for the dollar?!

Remember the fed will increase rates, the BoE will cut rates and brexit...that was just a bonus.
Original post by Arbe
Lol nice thread.

Was I the only one that felt that 1.45+ was way too high for the dollar?!

Remember the fed will increase rates, the BoE will cut rates and brexit...that was just a bonus.

If you were long american equities or bonds, you generally made a killing cos of brexit. I made almost around 20% on my american equities because of the exchange rate drop. If you were an american who was long UK equities, you are pretty much crying right now...though the post brexit relief rally has taken back some of their losses.
Reply 143
Original post by fg45344
DJKL has £260,000 in the financial markets, I have £14,000 in the financial markets...do you really not want to hear our side of the story?

My dad has £120,000 in the financial markets, he gets on average £5,000 a year given to him in dividends on top of capital gain.

What you need to do is look up FTSE 100 return for the last 30 years with dividends reinvested or Dow Jones Industrial Average return for the last 30 years with dividends reinvested and then come back to me.

DJKL is an accountant and very savy investor and I'm a PhD Economics student, if you want to learn how to invest, PM me or him. Have a nice day.

i have stopped buying on speculations, because all i seemed to do was lose money. My main capital which is invested, paid out £2,700 this quarter in dividends, you might be interested to know. It has been a good time for stocks, according to my financial advisers!

JR
With trading 212 are the shares in pence? For example the GBP/USB is buying for 1.32p not £1.32 so if I change the quantity to 10,000 I'm investing £132?? Sorry if I'm not making any sense
Reply 145
Original post by Rhyss01
With trading 212 are the shares in pence? For example the GBP/USB is buying for 1.32p not £1.32 so if I change the quantity to 10,000 I'm investing £132?? Sorry if I'm not making any sense

Different instruments are measured in different currencies and quantities. Your results are multiplied due to the leverage.
Original post by Rhyss01

Stocks trade in local currencies (usually), though a lot of foreign stocks are bought onto the US markets and will trade in dollars. So like a lot of SENSEX stocks (indian market) can be bought in dollars on the NYSE or NASDAQ

Derivatives markets (options,futures,swaps) trade in local currencies (usually)

FX market trades in pairs between buy and sell currency

Bond market trades in local currencies (usually)

Prices on the LSE (London Stock Exchange) are in Pence Sterling

Prices on the NYSE or NASDAQ are in Dollars

FX Market quotes will be whole units, so $1.3245 or £0.8745 etc etc, in the industry people don't even quote the $1.32 bit, it will be quoted as 47 45, so the bid and ask price for example.

AND ONE LAST THING....

The price you see quoted is the price at which the last trade took place at. Every security has a bid and an ask price, the price at which to buy and sell that the market maker sets. You are quoted the best sell price and the best buy price the market makers are happy with.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending