The Student Room Group

Extra time arrangements puts disabled students at a disadvantage for LNAT?

Hi,My daughter currently gets extra time for her A levels due to disability.

She is thinking of applying to do Law at Oxford and Durham, both of which require applicants to take the LNAT test as part of this

It is possible to apply for access requirements such as additional time, however it says on the LNAT website:

"The LNAT universities to which you have applied will be informed of your examination access arrangements and will be able to take these into consideration when evaluating your LNAT result."

So, this sounds like she might be at a disadvantage by having the extra time because they 'adjust' the result downwards.

Is she best just doing it without the extra time and hope that she can write enough or be more concise?

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MJ6987
Hi,My daughter currently gets extra time for her A levels due to disability.She is thinking of applying to do Law at Oxford and Durham, both of which require applicants to take the LNAT test as part of thisIt is possible to apply for access requirements such as additional time, however it says on the LNAT website:"The LNAT universities to which you have applied will be informed of your examination access arrangements and will be able to take these into consideration when evaluating your LNAT result."So, this sounds like she might be at a disadvantage by having the extra time because they 'adjust' the result downwards. Is she best just doing it without the extra time and hope that she can write enough or be more concise?

Try to find some example tests from previous years and see how she does with the regular time. Getting the extra time may lower her grade a bit in their eyes but it is the choice of the university. And some may disregard that she had more time and will just look at the grades. The easiest option would be if she felt comfortable doing the exam in regular time.

I recommend contacting those universities and asking them specifically about it. They may be able to tell you if they adjust the score accordingly and, if they do, by around how much. Then from having her try example exams you both can decide which is likely to give the higher score overall.
Reply 2
Original post by Devify
Try to find some example tests from previous years and see how she does with the regular time. Getting the extra time may lower her grade a bit in their eyes but it is the choice of the university. And some may disregard that she had more time and will just look at the grades. The easiest option would be if she felt comfortable doing the exam in regular time.

I recommend contacting those universities and asking them specifically about it. They may be able to tell you if they adjust the score accordingly and, if they do, by around how much. Then from having her try example exams you both can decide which is likely to give the higher score overall.

Thanks, that's useful advice.

Yes, I have contacted both universities although I fear I may get a vague or non-committal response.
Hi, I had a similar dilemma applying this year. I ended up doing the two practice tests online (one with meds for attention difficulty and one without) the result was that I was in both cases under time for the tests, though without meds brought me really close to the threshold. In both cases I scored a 27/42. After doing this I decided not to get extra time. I completed multiple choice with 5 mins to go, but my essay was literally to the wire with like 2 secs to go. I scored a 26. Any other questions feel free to ask!
Reply 4
Original post by SebastianCanuck
Hi, I had a similar dilemma applying this year. I ended up doing the two practice tests online (one with meds for attention difficulty and one without) the result was that I was in both cases under time for the tests, though without meds brought me really close to the threshold. In both cases I scored a 27/42. After doing this I decided not to get extra time. I completed multiple choice with 5 mins to go, but my essay was literally to the wire with like 2 secs to go. I scored a 26. Any other questions feel free to ask!

Thanks! You have to type the essay as well don't you? That's the other thing she's worried about, every exam she's done has been hand written.
Original post by MJ6987
Hi,My daughter currently gets extra time for her A levels due to disability.

She is thinking of applying to do Law at Oxford and Durham, both of which require applicants to take the LNAT test as part of this

It is possible to apply for access requirements such as additional time, however it says on the LNAT website:

"The LNAT universities to which you have applied will be informed of your examination access arrangements and will be able to take these into consideration when evaluating your LNAT result."

So, this sounds like she might be at a disadvantage by having the extra time because they 'adjust' the result downwards.

Is she best just doing it without the extra time and hope that she can write enough or be more concise?

Why is it a disadvantage? They shoild know all the details so they cna make a fair adjustment. Of O got offered extra time, then I would take it.

The problem with keyboard skills is one that everyone will face.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Why is it a disadvantage? They shoild know all the details so they cna make a fair adjustment. Of O got offered extra time, then I would take it.

The problem with keyboard skills is one that everyone will face.

It's just that the 'fair adjustment' is the extra time, which is designed to create a level playing field. If that is the case, then there's no need for the Universities to be made aware of it, as the field has been levelled already.

Anyway, Oxford have come back to me saying that although they do get that information from LNAT, they don't take it into consideration, just the mark, and that she should apply for it if she needs it.
Original post by MJ6987
It's just that the 'fair adjustment' is the extra time, which is designed to create a level playing field. If that is the case, then there's no need for the Universities to be made aware of it, as the field has been levelled already.

Anyway, Oxford have come back to me saying that although they do get that information from LNAT, they don't take it into consideration, just the mark, and that she should apply for it if she needs it.

Had I been in that position I would have taken it on the basis of the info you presented. I suppose its whether you trust them or trust the extra time you get as being a fair adjustment.
Original post by MJ6987
Thanks! You have to type the essay as well don't you? That's the other thing she's worried about, every exam she's done has been hand written.

No problem! Yeah it's all typed, wasn't a big deal for me. Maybe get her to start using a computer for assignments to prep? I'm really good at typing and I still went down to the wire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending