The Student Room Group

Can I teach myself a levels?

Hey is it possible to teach yourself a levels. My teachers are awful and cannot teach I can go into more detail if you want but I come out of the class confused bc they don't explain and when I ask they say I'm not listening, etc. Also my other teachers are off a lot so our 'learning' rarely happens. If I buy textbooks could I just teach myself????
Reply 1
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Hey is it possible to teach yourself a levels. My teachers are awful and cannot teach I can go into more detail if you want but I come out of the class confused bc they don't explain and when I ask they say I'm not listening, etc. Also my other teachers are off a lot so our 'learning' rarely happens. If I buy textbooks could I just teach myself????

I think you can manage. Just follow the spec and do as many practice papers.
Mind me asking what subjects you're self teaching?
Original post by idontknowmedoyou

If you can follow the specifications and think that you can cope with it at home then that's fine. What subjects are you hoping on to do at home?
Yes. You'll probably do so much better by going over the content by yourself. Remember to do past papers and read the examiner reports.
of course

there are many students with ****/slow teachers who do this
Reply 5
For psychology this year I kept skipping my lessons and just started writing my own essay plans and learning them myself and even found an examiner who made psychology YouTube videos to mark them and give me feedback cause I had little faith in my own teacher.
For English language I found a students notes from TSR printed them off and I learnt them and used this to revise alongside a teacher's PowerPoint from TES as my own teacher was more concerned about telling us about her personal life then bothering to teach us and was happy to let us play word board games weeks before the exam...

Honestly if your teacher is **** then use your initiate and find your own resources and use the textbooks to learn and revise ; you'll end up getting better grades as well !
Reply 6
Original post by fefssdf
For psychology this year I kept skipping my lessons and just started writing my own essay plans and learning them myself and even found an examiner who made psychology YouTube videos to mark them and give me feedback cause I had little faith in my own teacher.
For English language I found a students notes from TSR printed them off and I learnt them and used this to revise alongside a teacher's PowerPoint from TES as my own teacher was more concerned about telling us about her personal life then bothering to teach us and was happy to let us play word board games weeks before the exam...

Honestly if your teacher is **** then use your initiate and find your own resources and use the textbooks to learn and revise ; you'll end up getting better grades as well !

Hey, do you still have the notes?
Reply 7
Original post by Jayce.x
Hey, do you still have the notes?

For which subject ? For English language or psychology - I have all the notes and poerrpints saved to send you if you like , but bare in mine the specs have changed but English content is the same I thi k
Reply 8
Original post by fefssdf
For which subject ? For English language or psychology - I have all the notes and poerrpints saved to send you if you like , but bare in mine the specs have changed but English content is the same I thi k

Can you please send me the notes for both of the subjects? I know the specs have changed but I still want to get an idea of how it works because it's my first time doing the British curriculum and I am kind of lost!Oh, and which board did you do it from?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jayce.x
Can you please send me the notes for both of the subjects? I know the specs have changed but I still want to get an idea of how it works because it's my first time doing the British curriculum and I am kind of lost!Oh, and which board did you do it from?

I did English language - Edexcel
Psychology - AQA

And Yh I will email them over to you - PM me the details plz
Original post by fefssdf

Hi, would you mind sharing the psychology YouTube channel if you still remember it?
Original post by Suniya.m05
Hi, would you mind sharing the psychology YouTube channel if you still remember it?

Hey :smile:

Sure/ the channel was called miss Maduka as far as I can remember as that was the teachers name who ran the YouTube channel

It may be worth mentioning that I used that channel around 3-4 years ago so some of the content may not apply for the new spec a-levels so just double check against the spec that all the right topics are being covered :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest