The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UniAdmissions
Hello Marcobruni,

Don't get disheartened! The QR questions can appear quite difficult to start with but with practice they do become easier.

The main challenge in most quantitative reasoning questions is finding the right data and selecting the appropriate calculation to perform, rather than the actual calculation itself. However, time is tight so you should be confident with addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, as well as working out percentages, fractions and ratios. Although there is an on-screen calculator in the test, you can save time by doing the basic sums in your head being confident in your mental arithmetic ability will help you use the time most effectively. For example, you can save a lot of time if you can cancel fractions quickly in your head, rather than resorting to a calculator. The more QR questions you do, the quicker you'll see shortcuts e.g. 88/132 is = 2/3 and therefore save time.

Be especially comfortable with things like bus and rail timetables, sales figures, surveys, converting units and working with percentage changes in both directions. These are commonplace in the UKCAT quantitative reasoning section–, but can prove awkward if you’re rusty. Likewise be sharp on your simple arithmetic it might seem basic, but a good knowledge of times tables will save you a lot of time. Even if you’re not answering questions, you can hone your skills by practicing reading charts, graphs and tables quickly.

We hope that helps - let us know if you need anything else.

UniAdmissions

Thank you very much for your reply. I will take your advice and make sure to refresh these areas, especially the mental math part of it as I've always struggled with it.
Original post by ameeshh
what are the keyboard shortcuts please?

alt+p for previous question alt+n for next question alt+f to flag the current question alt+c to reveal the calculator
Original post by Stacybbb
Thank you 😊
I used Kaplan, 600Q and medify.
I only got a band 4 in SJ last year and I think that's because I didn't fully understand what they were looking for. I recommend reading the UKCAT Official Guide 2016 so you know how to choose the best answer. Then just practice on medify and read the reasons why you get them wrong and learn from them.
Good luck!

How close are the Medify mocks and the 600Q mocks to the real thing?
[QUOTE="raniafern;66434602"]
Original post by UKCATmagic

Honestly, these resources are enough. Don't waste your money on anything else. Focus on these, and you should be fine. Good luck!

Why not? I would do as many as I can. Even if it means more books or courses

Why not?

Because there are a bunch of course out there, which just aren't worth the price... And Medify is one of the best UKCAT prep courses.
I would do as many as I can. Even if it means more books or courses

Alright, go ahead.

There are numerous free resources, like the Kaplan and UKCAT Official tests, and other tips and tricks and practice that you can find online. Type UKCAT in the search bar above and you'll find a ton of sites, dedicated to UKCAT practice.
But if you're looking for material to buy, estimate your resources according to the time you have until your exam, and the hours you can spend every day, practising for your test. Personally, the ISC and Medify are the resources I'm using. Sure, I haven't done my test yet, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how effective they are. You're free to do whatever course you want. It's your test, and the scores will be yours. You asked for more resources, and I just put my thoughts out there.

Good luck!
Original post by dakshsaksena

600Q is harder than the actual thing, but a good prep nevertheless. Medify is good, because it closely resembles the test and has a good bunch of questions.
Original post by raniafern
600Q is harder than the actual thing, but a good prep nevertheless. Medify is good, because it closely resembles the test and has a good bunch of questions.

But make sure you get the 1000q, i.e. the updated version of the 600q with the new style questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UKCATrocks
But make sure you get the 1000q, I've the updated version of the 600q with the new style questions.

Yup, that's right. My apologies @dakshsaksena I should've mentioned that. It has the SJT, and is more relevant than the 600Q.

Thanks @UKCATrocks
Reply 608
alt+p for previous question alt+n for next question alt+f to flag the current question alt+c to reveal the calculator

does the calculator disappear after every question? in the medify simulation, it doesn't seem to disappear so i'm hoping that's the same with the exam :smile:
Just gave a Medify mock. (Mock 2 to be precise)
VR - 630
AR - 700
QR - 630
SJT - Band 2
Avg - 653
1960/2700 (8th or 9th decile)

Are these good or bad? Cuz im not sure.
Thanks!
Reply 610
I dont know if someone has already asked this but is 3 weeks enough for prep?
Original post by abzz11
I dont know if someone has already asked this but is 3 weeks enough for prep?

Depends on how versatile your vocabulary, comprehension, mathematical and anaytical skills, etc. are. IMO, if you have the right resources, and do intensive practice, you should be able to do well. Brush up on your maths, especially if you haven't done any practice in a long time.
Reply 612
Original post by raniafern
Depends on how versatile your vocabulary, comprehension, mathematical and anaytical skills, etc. are. IMO, if you have the right resources, and do intensive practice, you should be able to do well. Brush up on your maths, especially if you haven't done any practice in a long time.

Okay thanks

I agree with the reply from raniafern. 600Q are harder than the real thing and medify is about the same.
I'm finding the AR practice questions on the UKCAT website quite difficult (like on the lines of the 1000Q book). Is the actual exam the same level of difficulty or is it generally a bit easier?
There will be questions of the same standard but also some easier questions.
Original post by dr_2b
does the calculator disappear after every question? in the medify simulation, it doesn't seem to disappear so i'm hoping that's the same with the exam :smile:

The calculator stays on the screen
(edited 7 years ago)
is anyone preparing for the decision-making sub-section I know its not marked or if its marked the score is not given to the uni. I don't really understand what that section is about the questions on ukcat website on that section seem so random to me, anyone else thinks the same or just me?
and hows the preparation going im finding the timing so difficult but maybe the questions will be easier/ less time consuming in the real thing.
I've done a fair amount of prep but still only get lie 40% on QR :frown: I'm actually a lost cause, i dont understand how anyone can do it :frown: i struggle so much
Original post by clairebear101
I've done a fair amount of prep but still only get lie 40% on QR :frown: I'm actually a lost cause, i dont understand how anyone can do it :frown: i struggle so much

Don't worry. Brush up on basic math, and try a few simple sums based on percentages and calculations. What part of QR do you find challenging? Interpreting given info, or just calculation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending