The Student Room Group

Are there any benefits to being religious that can't be got elsewhere?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xylas

Haha you assume I'm a non-religious person! What makes you think you have more experience with being religious than me?

Hope is not a benefit. All those other things like happiness can be got elsewhere.

You don't know what a straw-man argument is. And having a relationship is not a benefit but might provide benefits. Show me why you think a relationship with a 'deity' provides benefits.

I'm sorry for assuming you're not religious, but I never said or implied that I have more experience with being religious. Simply that that feeling of faith is difficult to explain - and it is. It's not something I have words for, regardless. Though I should've removed the "to a non-religious person" part.

You misunderstand - a relationship with a Deity is the benefit. There are more benefits that come from it, but the relationship itself is what drives people, and gives them hope and faith that they can't find elsewhere. Also, hope most certainly is a benefit - have you ever felt sure that you won't last the week, let alone a month or year? Been seriously ill and lost all hope that you might ever recover? Hope is a benefit in itself.

I explained that badly, but you're now arguing that a relationship with a Deity isn't a benefit. Maybe we view benefits (or relationships) in general differently, but I would view the relationship with my Gods as a benefit in itself, much like I would consider the relationship I have with my Mum, or my friends, or my partner, as a benefit - not what I get out of it, but the relationship itself. Which may be where the disagreement here is, if we view relationships and benefits differently.
Original post by xylas
You still don't get it even after ImNotReallyMe has tried another way of explaining it to you! Stop talking about whether religion is true or not, you just sound clueless. This thread is only about unique benefits that come from being religious, not potential benefits that depend on whether it is actually true or not.

Ok so you can't think of any unique benefits "in this life". Good. This thread is only talking about "in this life", unless you can prove there is a life after this one in order for you to suggest the possibility of being benefited 'not in this life'.

This thread is also not about 'is there a point to being religious'. Of course there are many benefits to being religious, however no-one has demonstrated a unique benefit. *What exactly is the point to this thread then?

The question is very specific: you're asking about benefits of religion, but then not counting those that can be found elsewhere, not counting those that depend upon the religion being true, and not counting those that would apply in the religion's afterlife. (So pretty much ruling out every reason that people choose to follow a religion).

Okay, once you impose these conditions to make us rule out all the benefits of religion, there are no more benefits left (that are necessarily unique, independent of whether or not the religion is true, and apply in this current life). Is that the end of the thread now, or is there actually a follow up point to this?
Reply 82
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I chose to be on this thread to give my opinion. Which I did. You just wasn't satisfied with my opinion. :redface:

You're still here though aren't you! :biggrin:

Original post by Sternumator
It is because because those people can live in the bliss of believing that there is something better ahead of them. They don't have to fear death, they can find comfort when loved ones die that they are in a better place. They enjoy benefits of their belief when they are alive. And they will never be disappointed that their beliefs were wrong because they will be dead before they find out.

Ok but you can find comfort and not fear death without being religious. So perhaps it's a benefit of religion but it certainly isn't unique.

Original post by Student403
Here

One does not simple "have" a different personality. People are different. It's normal.

So? This has got nothing to do with people changing their personalities, you've confused yourself. Of course people are different, well done for that.

If you think that it depends on your personality if you get benefit from a religion like you said then the answer to 'Are there any benefits to being religious that can't be got elsewhere?' can not be 'yes'. Simple as that.

Original post by stripystockings

Spoiler

I respect the apology. I don't think I misunderstand but I do disagree. I don't see hope and faith as a benefit. What you're describing sounds exactly like 'mental stability' but of course no-one has every showed this is a benefit of being religious. Unfulfilled hope can actually have terrible consequences so overall I can not say that it is a benefit. Same goes for faith.

Yeah your view on relationships is not founded in reality. From what you've said, all else being equal, if you're a single person then you don't have as much benefit as someone with a boy/girlfriend.

This view is consistent with feeling sorry for someone who is single even if it is by choice. When in fact the reality is that people are more likely to be sorry for someone in a marriage if they don't like their partner anymore.

So tit for tat (without you providing evidence), a relationship is not inherently better than not being in a relationship.

Original post by tazarooni89

Spoiler

Yes it is a specific question, requiring a yes or a no answer.

You don't speak for all people on this thread or those who choose to follow a religion. That's just your opinion but thanks for sharing.

No the thread is not over just because you can't think of anything else to say.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xylas

Ok but you can find comfort and not fear death without being religious. So perhaps it's a benefit of religion but it certainly isn't unique.

You can but for those who do fear death, they could benefit if they believed in god because then they would no longer fear it as they believe in heaven.

Similarly, if you have lost a loved one, you could benefit from genuinely believing they are in a better place. You can't believe that without believing in God.

Of course emotions can be experienced with or without believing in God but you can make that argument for anything.
Reply 84
You can but for those who do fear death, they could benefit if they believed in god because then they would no longer fear it as they believe in heaven.

Similarly, if you have lost a loved one, you could benefit from genuinely believing they are in a better place. You can't believe that without believing in God.

Yeah but you could just not fear death in the first place by other means. Some would say it's better to get rid of the fear itself than learn to live with it (by means of religion).

You don't have to believe they've gone to a better place to benefit. There are other ways of getting comfort which do not involve religion as I have said before.
Original post by xylas
Yeah but you could just not fear death in the first place by other means. Some would say it's better to get rid of the fear itself than learn to live with it (by means of religion).

You don't have to believe they've gone to a better place to benefit. There are other ways of getting comfort which do not involve religion as I have said before.

What means though? Death is inevitable.

No there are other ways to deal with death but that particular benefit is only available to those who believe.
Reply 86
What means though? Death is inevitable.

No there are other ways to deal with death but that particular benefit is only available to those who believe.

I know many atheists that don't fear death. It's to do with wanting eternal peace, and knowing inside yourself that it is an inevitable and necessary part of your existence. You enter this world with nothing and you leave this world with nothing.

What particular benefit? 'Genuinely believing' isn't a benefit.
Anything religion can give you, you can get more from weeds. QED

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
I once worked somewhere were I was the minority as a gay atheist to muslims and that wasn't so pleasant. I can definitely see a benefit to have being a muslim or even christian in that moment because to them, lacking a belief in god wasn't only stupid it was immoral and they were pretty nasty about it.

But that's more of just a social issue and not much to do with the benefits of religion I guess - however, feeling involved in a group/society can maybe be a benefit? Atheists don't tend to meet up in the same place on certain days so we don't really have a social community (unless you're in some kind of Atheist group?) we're just spread around.

Anyway I don't really know much about religion so sorry if that came out wrong or stupid idk. Just the little I've gathered on the subject.
Community/sense of belonging/identity as well as a purpose. You could probably get these things from elsewhere but not easily.
Prayer has been noted to provide or be a stress release that does not really work for someone who is not religious.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/more-mortal/201406/5-scientifically-supported-benefits-prayerr
Original post by Mactotaur
The two main benefits of religion are the sense of community and the confidence in an afterlife.

The sense of community can be replicated by taking up a hobby.

The confidence in the afterlife translates to not fearing death, but it's probably best not to have this - if you know there's nothing after death, you'll make more of an effort to do everything you can, experience as much as possible.

Yet we have religious individuals who constantly remind us to live today.

Besides, what you experience is not always worth while or dictate a grand living.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending