The Student Room Group

Turkey removes more than 2,700 judges following coup attempt

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
"Cleanse" is not a word I like to hear.

Anyway, I fail to see how thousands of judges played a role in the coup. This sounds like an attempt to remove judges who may oppose changes in the constitution. He obviously wants to push for changes in the constitution, thus only helping to legitimise the voices of those behind the coup ironically.
Original post by Mathemagicien
The start of Erdogan's crack down on dissent.

Turkish authorities on Saturday removed 2,745 judges from duty following an attempted coup by a military faction overnight, broadcaster NTV reported, citing a decision by the High Council of Judges and Prosectors (HSYK).Five members of HSYK, Turkey's highest judiciary board, were also removed, state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

http://in.reuters.com/article/turkey-security-judges-idINKCN0ZW0OZ

Erdogan accused the coup plotters of trying to kill him and launched a purge of the armed forces. "They will pay a heavy price for this," said Erdogan, who also saw off mass public protests against his rule three years ago. "This uprising is a gift from Allah to us because this will be a reason to cleanse our army."

http://in.reuters.com/article/turkey-security-primeminister-idINKCN0ZV2HZ

Considering the military attempted a coup yesterday, I trust Erdogan knows what he's doing.

:smile:
This is the problem with coups or revolutions. While there may be noble intent behind them, the outcome is often very different. Erdogan now had the perfect opportunity to consolidate power with little opposition.
Reply 4
Erdogan will destroy Turkey in my opinion, which is very good news
Original post by The Epicurean
"Cleanse" is not a word I like to hear.

Anyway, I fail to see how thousands of judges played a role in the coup. This sounds like an attempt to remove judges who may oppose changes in the constitution. He obviously wants to push for changes in the constitution, thus only helping to legitimise the voices of those behind the coup ironically.

Yes, he's going to use this to deliver the crackdown on dissent and free thinking that he's wanted for ages.

A cynic might wonder if Erdogan didn't dream up the coup himself. :rolleyes:
Original post by IYGB

What would be good news would be a proper democracy flourishing there with a modern outlook. I'm not sure what you are celebrating, but 'destroying Turkey' sounds like it involves a lot of death and destruction.
Last night, Turkey was very close to becoming the next Syria. Although Edrogan is no gem, its good that peace is restored.
Reply 8
Original post by Fullofsurprises
What would be good news would be a proper democracy flourishing there with a modern outlook. I'm not sure what you are celebrating, but 'destroying Turkey' sounds like it involves a lot of death and destruction.

Turkey will never be a democracy in my opinion.
And again in my opinion, Turkey will be broken down by creating a Kurdish state and gains in lands by the Armenians, Syrians, Greeks, Bulgarians even the Georgians.
Original post by IYGB

erm really? So the possibility of another civil war in the region and on the doorstep of EU? *Cue mass refugee and migrants trying to escape and come to Europe.

I dont think thats good news at all*
Reply 10
Original post by sachinisgod
erm really? So the possibility of another civil war in the region and on the doorstep of EU? *Cue mass refugee and migrants trying to escape and come to Europe.

I dont think thats good news at all*

Just a matter of time/see post above
Reply 11
Can't wait for Turkey to join the EU
Reply 12
Sounds good, more diversity for Europe :smile:

So you want a war because you want more Muslims to come to Europe?
I live in Turkey, and bad news for you guys, we are not getting destroyed, and the soldiers who were involved they had no idea what they were doing, they were told that they were going to drill. The rebels were only a few commanders. The people on the streets, they werent only erdogan supporters. So guys... dont be happy, we are stronger than yesterday... literally.
Reply 14
Original post by GovernorC
I live in Turkey, and bad news for you guys, we are not getting destroyed, and the soldiers who were involved they had no idea what they were doing, they were told that they were going to drill. The rebels were only a few commanders. The people on the streets, they werent only erdogan supporters. So guys... dont be happy, we are stronger than yesterday... literally.

Now Erdogan will have an even larger excuse to become an even powerful president.
Sounds good, more diversity for Europe :smile:

How about you let them live in your house and sponsor their expenses too yeah?
Reply 16
Original post by sachinisgod
How about you let them live in your house and sponsor their expenses too yeah?

He will say he wants the government to do that:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending