The Student Room Group

When do you meet the parents?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I introduced my boyfriend to my parents after about a week or two of being with him and they really didn't mind. Of course they knew we were good friends and my parents are not heavy on relationships I guess. It depends on how hard your parents take it. I waited to be done with year 13 to be fair so that they wouldn't think it inerferred with my studies.
Reply 21
Original post by trustmeimlying1
its much less of a deal than yeh think.

like were all young here...the only issue lies if its interracial maybe and the parents are conservative

Never said it was a big deal.

Just asking people's opinions...
Depends on the seriousness of the relationship. If you're just a casual couple then I don't think it's that much of a big deal to meet the parents but if you are in a serious relationship then I would say any time after a few months would be good but it's up to the couple. Because we were friends to start with, me and my bf had already met each others family so it took away that awkward meeting the family stage :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not planning on ever entering any more relationships but if I did, my parents wouldn't meet them for a long time and I wouldn't meet their parents for a long time. In my culture (or at least my family), you don't introduce a partner to your parents unless it's very VERY serious (i.e. you're saying "I plan on marrying this person, approve of them please!" :tongue: )
Original post by Foo.mp3
Ordinarily, I'd say around the time/just after becoming 'official' (depending upon where they're based/how frequently their child sees them, etc) :yy:

not before,no? My parents would always encourage me to bring my ex's around especially my dad as he always wanted a chat with them to see what they were about/what they were like. So we'd arrange a dinner and yeah they'd come over regularly after that*
Original post by Foo.mp3
Nope, wouldn't be appropriate (if avoidable)

That's different, and presumably once you were 'going out' e.g. official

Kinda cute. Sorry to have missed out on such a thing, albeit that very few parents would accept a guy like me (not PC + with disabilities) :innocent:

why wouldn't it be appropriate if say you're seeing them on a regular basis?

Nope even early stages,before we officially 'going out'.

It's okay,they were pretty relaxed about most of my partners,once my dad finished having a special talk with them :mmm:*
My first boyfriend had really bad epilepsy but my parents were very supportive of him and my dad would treat him like a son*
Original post by Foo.mp3
Think about what it communicates to both your parents and the person you're dating

Honey, you weren't the type of kid to date multiple guys, therefore as soon as you started dating you were effectively going out with them

Aye, but he was wealthy/had earning prospects. The same cannot be said for me, hence few parents would be at all keen on this vagabond! :bandit:

it communicates that you've found someone you're considering getting into a relationship. Plus,it doesn't even have to be a massive deal. It could just be a hi/bye thing.

I know but I don't get what that's got to do with anything. Even if it was just casual dating,i'd still invite them for dinner. Plus,you're right. I never really felt comfortable having more than one dating partner.

Not at first,his family did tho. But,eventually as he matured well into his teens,he was earning very well. But even before then,I never once heard my parents complain about financial status*
Original post by Foo.mp3
More broadly: it communicates that you are serious about them. To give this impression before you actually are serious is morally questionable

See above as to why that would be wrong

Epilepsy is nothing like ME/CFS + electro-sensitivity. My conditions are more limiting than any chronic illness going e.g. in terms of intrusiveness

Well unless you both agree it was just a casual relationship,I don't see why relationships shouldn't be taken seriously :dontknow: even in the first few stages *

Yes but that shouldn't mean being biased towards someone. Even if it is limiting,you can still achieve so much. It's not always about money*
Shortly before a wedding if it got that far, I don't really understand the obsession over meeting people's parents.
Original post by Foo.mp3
It's not a matter of should/shouldn't, it's a pragmatic matter of people working out/rolling with what works for themselves

I agree, but like you just said in another thread, the pursuit of rational self-interest is intrinsic to human nature

Indeed I can/have, but it's not a reasonable expectation that very many strangers would readily comprehend this without significant prompts

Aye, parents are also concerned about ramifications re: genetic stock, life chances, lifestyle, and 'protector' credentials and socialite

so basically putting one's needs and happiness first*

Correct *

I know and people can be so judgemental,especially parents but if they're good people I see no reason for this obsession with money. As long as someone was looking after my baby well and loved and honoured them,then all is well
Original post by saeed9761
within the first 6-8 hours.

Wooahhh...that's a bit too early!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would wait some months 6/7/8/9 months. No rush gotta ensure he fits the bill
Original post by Novascope
In your own opinion, how long would you have to be dating someone until you decide to meet their parents?

I'd say a month to three months! Since if all goes well you're going to be with that special person for the rest of your life so it is fundamental your parents know them from the beginning.
In my last relationship, it was 12 days...WAY TOO EARLY
Original post by Novascope
Never said it was a big deal.

Just asking people's opinions...
lel the attitude on this wan..

yeh can meet the parents whenever yeh fancy imo...just be casual about it
Never.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not necessarily, it's in the interests of all connected to an individual for said individual to try to strike the right balance

I know :smile:

these days there's not particular time frame and people introduce each other to their parents whenever they feel like it,even something as going on holiday together in the early stages of dating is no longer seen as a milestone*
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 1 ^
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Day 1 ^

I wouldn't be suprised in this day and age*
Original post by queen-bee
I wouldn't be suprised in this day and age*

I said day 1 but I really wouldn't even though it's the Islamic way.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I said day 1 but I really wouldn't even though it's the Islamic way.

a bit too soon?*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending