The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Yasir! One of the best spinners in Cricket today. Certainly uses his capabilities in situations where help from the pitch isn't on offer. Brought Pakistan right back into it and if we can get another wicket or two before close, definately on top. Would like to see Cook get a century too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
shah certianly looks like a decent leg spinner - this is tpyical of pakistan nowadyas its a spinner hat will make them competitive in the bowling ranks wehre previously they reiled on bank of good seamers, its been afridi and before him kaneria that were their biggest threat. they still look weak i the young batsmen department though
Original post by Chakede
shah certianly looks like a decent leg spinner - this is tpyical of pakistan nowadyas its a spinner hat will make them competitive in the bowling ranks wehre previously they reiled on bank of good seamers, its been afridi and before him kaneria that were their biggest threat. they still look weak i the young batsmen department though

I'd say he's more then just a decent leg-spinner. He's proved his ability within the subcontinent and now, if he's successful in England, he'd definately be classed as one of the best. Amir has a lot to prove but again, it's his first test back in the team and the ball wasn't moving around a lot, plus, a couple of dropped catches off his bowling. I agree with the young batsmen comment though :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1323
Yasir is the best spinner in the world right now. Bar none.

England have always struggled against spin, and Yasir is the pick of the bunch right now. Perhaps most ominously for the hosts, you imagine this pitch will be the least spin-friendly of the entire tour, so Yasir will only thrive more elsewhere.

We've always seen England struggle against spin - and once again - it proves their Achilles heel. Ahead of subcontinent tours this winter, against both Bangladesh and India, it's an ominous sign.

Misbah started pretty sheepishly and Pakistan will be gutted to make only 330+. Woakes hit his lengths well, and the selectors have a big decision once Jimmy is fit. Surely Finn needs to be dropped? The other option, of course is bringing in a more effective spinner for Moeen.

Once again, Vince was poor with the bat - but at least he managed to take a catch today, having shelled FOUR of his previous six chances in an England shirt. Ballance and Hales were poor in their shot selection, but full credit to Yasir. He used variations of spin exceptionally well, and troubled the England batsmen despite the pitch not turning too much.*

I can't believe today is the first time Yasir has taken a wicket outside of Asia. He has five five-wicket hauls in 13 Tests now, and 1967 was the last time a legspinner took a five-wicket haul in the first innings of a Test at Lord's.

Full credit to Cook and Root, with the former breaking records and the latter showing a keen eye and temperament in the elevated position of 3.

I felt for Amir, with the two chances to dismiss Cook being shelled, but I'm pleased he got a wicket - and more pleased the Lord's crowd remained respectful.

Now that carnival is out of the way, we can enjoy the cricket.*
Original post by Enginerd.
I'd say he's more then just a decent leg-spinner. He's proved his ability within the subcontinent and now, if he's successful in England, he'd definately be classed as one of the best. Amir has a lot to prove but again, it's his first test back in the team and the ball wasn't moving around a lot, plus, a couple of dropped catches off his bowling. I agree with the young batsmen comment though :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeh , amir doesnt look as he did in 2010, but he was unlucky today as the king of luck alistair cook had his usual 5 or 10 edges to slip hit the ground. shah i think has much promise, his actual test will be when he faces the indian batsmen.
Original post by Mackay
Yasir is the best spinner in the world right now. Bar none.

England have always struggled against spin, and Yasir is the pick of the bunch right now. Perhaps most ominously for the hosts, you imagine this pitch will be the least spin-friendly of the entire tour, so Yasir will only thrive more elsewhere.

We've always seen England struggle against spin - and once again - it proves their Achilles heel. Ahead of subcontinent tours this winter, against both Bangladesh and India, it's an ominous sign.

Misbah started pretty sheepishly and Pakistan will be gutted to make only 330+. Woakes hit his lengths well, and the selectors have a big decision once Jimmy is fit. Surely Finn needs to be dropped? The other option, of course is bringing in a more effective spinner for Moeen.

Once again, Vince was poor with the bat - but at least he managed to take a catch today, having shelled FOUR of his previous six chances in an England shirt. Ballance and Hales were poor in their shot selection, but full credit to Yasir. He used variations of spin exceptionally well, and troubled the England batsmen despite the pitch not turning too much.*

I can't believe today is the first time Yasir has taken a wicket outside of Asia. He has five five-wicket hauls in 13 Tests now, and 1967 was the last time a legspinner took a five-wicket haul in the first innings of a Test at Lord's.

Full credit to Cook and Root, with the former breaking records and the latter showing a keen eye and temperament in the elevated position of 3.

I felt for Amir, with the two chances to dismiss Cook being shelled, but I'm pleased he got a wicket - and more pleased the Lord's crowd remained respectful.

Now that carnival is out of the way, we can enjoy the cricket.*

ashwin is the best spinner in the world by performace, by wickets by experience etc etc. england have also been pathetically poor against leg spin. shah did what most half decent leggies have done to every england batsman barring maybe KP. they didint have andersen with the clouds above him to bend the ball around and they looked toothless . im
dissapointed with riaz, he should be making the england batsmen hop
Reply 1326
Original post by Chakede
yeh , amir doesnt look as he did in 2010, but he was unlucky today as the king of luck alistair cook had his usual 5 or 10 edges to slip hit the ground. shah i think has much promise, his actual test will be when he faces the indian batsmen.

All the talk before the Test was how Pakistan's seamers would trouble England on a pitch like this at Lord's, but that hasn't proved the case - yet.

New ball in 9 overs, though. That could change.*
Original post by Mackay
All the talk before the Test was how Pakistan's seamers would trouble England on a pitch like this at Lord's, but that hasn't proved the case - yet.

New ball in 9 overs, though. That could change.*

lords has never been that seamer friendly unless very green or overcast. and paksitan seamers are not the ones of the past. actually theyve had more effective spinners in recent times, so shah is continuing that trend. leg spinner is perfect bowler to take to england, jsut wait to 2nd innings
Original post by Chakede
ashwin is the best spinner in the world by performace, by wickets by experience etc etc. england have also been pathetically poor against leg spin. shah did what most half decent leggies have done to every england batsman barring maybe KP. they didint have andersen with the clouds above him to bend the ball around and they looked toothless . im
dissapointed with riaz, he should be making the england batsmen hop

Most of his games have been played in the sub-continent, where any part time spinner could claim wickets. He has no notable match winning games in England/Aus etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most of his games have been played in the sub-continent, where any part time spinner could claim wickets. He has no notable match winning games in England/Aus etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

except pakistani spinners who got hammerred in india. even shane warne got a hammering
Original post by Chakede
except pakistani spinners who got hammerred in india. even shane warne got a hammering

Which game are you referring to? Plus, not a good advertisement for test cricket after the Nagpur pitch fiasco against SA. Heavily doctored pitch to favour Indian spinners, even critisised/fined by ICC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which game are you referring to? Plus, not a good advertisement for test cricket after the Nagpur pitch fiasco against SA. Heavily doctored pitch to favour Indian spinners, even critisised/fined by ICC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ptiches arnt doctored , they are poorly prepared - becuase people whinge about beiing flat batting tracks, so curators then dont water them to open cracks up,a nd still people moan.
Reply 1332
Thrilling match in the T20 at Hove last night - and, with only a couple of matches left, the groups are looking more certain.*

Hampshire won by one run, but Sussex snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, I think it's fair to say.*
Hopefully that's it for Hafeez in Test Cricket. Bring in Sami Aslam or Babar Azam. Can't bowl and mostly fails to bat. Huge frustration for the middle order.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All time test XI:

Donald Bradman
Viv Richards
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Brian Lara
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Test XI from what I have seen (former players):

Virender Sehwag
Graeme Smith
Rahul Dravid/Kumar Sangakarra
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Brian Lara
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shane Warne
Shaun Pollock (?)
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Not completely sure about who takes the captaincy though :erm:
Properly good knock from Shafiq this. Got himself in and then played positive, sensible cricket, not getting bogged down like many who came before him. Matchwinning innings I reckon.

Edit- ****ing hell :lol: Point stands though, only 49 but it has been such an important 49.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hopefully that's it for Hafeez in Test Cricket. Bring in Sami Aslam or Babar Azam. Can't bowl and mostly fails to bat. Huge frustration for the middle order.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. He mostly gets out cheaply and exposes the middle order to the new ball. The other opener isn't much better either. I rather have Shehzad back only for tests despite his attitude problems.
Original post by The_K1NG
This. He mostly gets out cheaply and exposes the middle order to the new ball. The other opener isn't much better either. I rather have Shehzad back only for tests despite his attitude problems.

I agree, Babar Azam would be the obvious choice. Scored a century? In the Pakistan A game only a few days ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree, Babar Azam would be the obvious choice. Scored a century? In the Pakistan A game only a few days ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In tests, I would open with Shehzad and Azhar Ali with Shafiq at number 3. Babar Azam can bat at 6.
Reply 1339
Full credit to Chris Woakes. I've been sceptical, I've been critical, I've been a doubter. But he is undoubtedly turning into a key cog in the England machine.

I've always scoffed at the idea of Woakes as a Test bowler, but he was excellent again today, proving his worth and reaffirming the belief he's one of the first names on the England team sheet.

Likewise, after Moeen's poor spell on the opening two days, he rebounded and showed quality to win the battle of he and Misbah.

And to do so after seeing Yasir's brilliance up close and personal was just even more impressive, with all the talk of England needing to acquire a decent finger spinner or wrist spinner before their tours in the subcontinent this winter, against India and Bangladesh respectively.

In truth, it's hard to know which way this Test will go. Given the pitch isn't benign, I'd say it's Pakistan's to lose, given the tricky lead they already boast and the fact England will find the pitch hard to navigate in the hunt for a victory.

Either way, it should be wrapped up tomorrow. We saw 11 wickets fall today - and I imagine it'll be the same tomorrow.*

England will be disappointed to finish the first innings some 80 runs shy, but they did well to restrict Pakistan early doors before the tourists frustrated the bowlers by going slowly and steadily throughout the day.

Again, questions need to be asked of the England wicket keeper. With Buttler's injury though, you imagine Bairstow will retain the gloves for the entire series.

Quick Reply

Latest